Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2011, 10:33 AM   #1

Filling water tank when not faucet is available

I have a Winnebago Sightseer which requires a hose to be connected from a water faucet to the RV fresh water intake. Getting fresh water what I can connect to it with a hose is no problem.

How do you get water into a fresh water tank when you don't have a pressurized source of water i.e. a water faucet but you do have access to a tank of water?
Kammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2011, 10:39 AM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You can't...have to prepare ahead...think ahead on your trip needs. Keep some water in a few bottles and some fresh water in sealed drink bottles and always some water in your fresh water tank.
We also have a same water fill setup and I have not had a problem with it.
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 04:32 PM   #3

If this is going to be a regular need, you could re-plumb the water pump in the RV to draw in the water. Quite easy if you are handy.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 04:34 PM   #4
paz

I am assuming you don't have a fresh water gravity fill opening, and the only way to get water to the tank is through the city water inlet.

It may be possible to buy a small pump to transfer water from a small tank or container to your fresh water inlet. The pump could be either 120V (you would have to start the genset if you didn't have shore power available), or 12V. You would need a pump with a threaded outlet that you could adapt to a hose connection, and you would need a pump with sufficient pressure to overcome the check valve at your city water connection.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 06:48 PM   #5

Your motorhome already has a water pump in it. With the addition of a few valves, T's and hose sections you could easily use your on board pump to pump water into your onboard tank.

Chris
HoRotica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:43 PM   #6

I have both a gravity fill and hose fill so I have not personally tried this ... but I have been told that it will work.

1) In your water inlet bay set the valve to TANK FILL

2) Set you winterization valve to DIVERT

3) Insert the winterization hose into the bucket of water and turn on the pump ... the on board pump will transfer the water from the bucket into the fresh water tank.

TRY IT ... IT COSTS NOTHING TO TRY

If this works you can buy me a brewski the next time we meet ...

Oh yes ... tell us whether or not this actually works ...

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:57 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
As Skigramp said. We boondock a lot and when we run out of water, I always have a few blue 5 gal jugs in the quad trailer. I don't even suck it out of the blue jug and into the fresh water tank....just leave the winterization pick-up tube in the blue jug and use water as before....jug sits on the ground beside the rig.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:43 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

When we did that regularly, I rigged a 12v pump ( a medium sized boat bilge pump) with a hose thread fitting on the output port and enough wire to connect to my batteries with alligator clips. Dumped fresh water into a pail and the bilge pump sucked it out and pumped into the city inlet. Slow (a bigger pump would be faster) but steady enough. If there is a faucet available but it doesn't have hose threead on the spigot, use what is called a hose thief to connect.

Stanley/oliver Products - Water Thief - Faucets & Inlets - Camping World
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote