Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2021, 03:21 PM   #1

Finally Weighed!!!

I finally, after 2 years, weighed our rig. 2018 Thor Hurricane on 2017 Ford F53 chassis. Total weight was 20,000 pounds. On the dot. Ok, my wife and son were still inside getting food, so perhaps 20,275ish.

For 2 years I have been running 95 psi front and rear. As printed on the Ford label next to the drivers seat. I have read many posts about weighing and tire pressures. I have the tire pressure chart for our Goodyear Unisteel G70 RV tires.

So... I now have the rear at 80 psi and the front at 85, based on the individual F/R weights and the chart. A substantial drop from 95.

After looking at the chart I realize that Ford uses the highest possible GVW to calculate the 95 psi. That makes sense from a liability standpoint.

The handling is a bit better. Nothing extreme, but just a little nicer. I do have a tpms, which I readjusted to the new pressures. The pressures still climb almost 20 psi while driving. The temperatures stay around 90-100 degrees.

I delayed because I didn't know how simple it can be and because it seemed like we were always in a hurry to get to our destination. With the phone app from CAT "Weigh my Truck" it was a 2 minute process. First create an account at home on your computer. Then download/link the app. At the scale (there was no line for me, no truckers waiting to see how I screwed up!), simply open the app which should use GPS to locate scale. I did confirm the scale ID # with what came up on the phone. Then a few clicks on the phone and done.

I know I should weigh individual corners. The scale I wound up at would not work for that; a big post on the LH side and a substantial drop-off on the RH side. I simply drove the front axle on the first pad, made sure the rear axle was relatively centered on the second (of 3) pad. Easy peasy.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2021, 03:36 PM   #2

Good for you!

And I would agree, a weight at each corner would be better than "by axle" would be better, you've already seen why its important.

Interesting points about how the temperatures go up - and I hope others reading this don't make adjustments for that rise in pressure. The tire manufacturers charts take that into account.
MrMark52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 07:24 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
We 4 corner weigh every year or so and adjust tire pressure accordingly. Has not changed over the last year.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 10:47 PM   #4

Question How-to?

We just bought our 30-ft. Class C. How do you do your four-corner weighing? Did you purchase something or do you have to go somewhere that can handle the weight? I also just put on six brand new BF Goodrich Commercial radials so I want to ensure I do all I can to prolong their life and prevent any issues on our upcoming cross-country move.

Thanks.
Sojournr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 02:52 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
You need to go somewhere that can do 4 corner weighing.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 03:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by momdoc View Post
You need to go somewhere that can do 4 corner weighing.
Can you provide some examples of where places like that would be?
Old 08-11-2021, 03:45 PM   #7

Finally Weighed!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMark52 View Post

Big Rally’s will usually provide the service, like FMCA, Escapees, etc. I also believe NIRVC provides this at some of their locations.

Here is another resource...

https://www.rvsafety.com/rvweighing

Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjustments.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	339230
pasdad1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 04:09 PM   #8
D20
Community Moderator

Quote:
Livingston has a place that does it by appointment: https://www.escapees.com/education/smartweigh/
Old 08-11-2021, 04:31 PM   #9
NXR

Quote:
After looking at the chart I realize that Ford uses the highest possible GVW to calculate the 95 psi. That makes sense from a liability standpoint.
Sort of. By federal law the tire pressure stickers must show the minimum pressure required to support the Gross Axle Weight Rating (GAWR) of each axle when using the factory tires.

Ray
Old 08-12-2021, 05:54 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by D20 View Post
Livingston has a place that does it by appointment: https://www.escapees.com/education/smartweigh/
Thanks, but for many of the people who may come past this thread, they may have to drive thousands of miles to get to one of those three centers - risking their tires in the process (I’m fortunate as living in Dallas, the Livingston location is only about 200 miles away).

As much as advice as is suggested for 4 corner weighing, and the reason for my original question, is because 4 corner weighing services from my perspective are few and far between (except for a brother -in-law who works in law enforcement and carries a scale that can be used for 4 corner weighing with him).

If anyone knows of a nationwide listing of businesses who can do 4 corner weighing similar to what Cat Scale does, please post to help others in the group out.
Old 08-12-2021, 09:15 AM   #11
D20
Community Moderator

Quote:
Thanks, but for many of the people who may come past this thread, they may have to drive thousands of miles to get to one of those three centers - risking their tires in the process (I’m fortunate as living in Dallas, the Livingston location is only about 200 miles away).

As much as advice as is suggested for 4 corner weighing, and the reason for my original question, is because 4 corner weighing services from my perspective are few and far between (except for a brother -in-law who works in law enforcement and carries a scale that can be used for 4 corner weighing with him).

If anyone knows of a nationwide listing of businesses who can do 4 corner weighing similar to what Cat Scale does, please post to help others in the group out.
There isn't a company with a nationwide network of locations that do 4 corner wheel weights. For the majority of the country, there is no convenient place to go for 4 corners wheel weights.

I was trying to help you out specifically since I interpreted your post as being that you, as an individual, were looking for a place near your home base. I didn't realize that you were asking on the communities behalf.
Old 08-12-2021, 10:52 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by D20 View Post
There isn't a company with a nationwide network of locations that do 4 corner wheel weights. For the majority of the country, there is no convenient place to go for 4 corners wheel weights.

I was trying to help you out specifically since I interpreted your post as being that you, as an individual, were looking for a place near your home base. I didn't realize that you were asking on the communities behalf.
Thanks D20! No negative’s intended - it’s just that any/all threads on this subject that I’ve seen, most all of them say “get 4 corner weight on your coach” without any advice as to where to get that done. That doesn’t help anyone.

When I started chiming in on the more recent threads about getting the coach weighed, I also gave the best solution I had uncovered - which was the Cat Scale app - on the basis that getting an axle weight is far better than no weight at all - and I think you would agree with that.
And I also realized that there are many, many people from all over who research the threads seeking direction before they post a new thread.

Maybe I’m overly sensitive on this - but considering all the mis-information about tire air pressures for motorhomes, the “China bombs” comments, and the people who fill their tires with air much like they did with their bicycle tires (to “Maximum Air Pressure” as noted on the tire) - I think it’s far better to give people instruction as to the complete process - not just saying “do this” when it involves a process that isn’t practical to accomplish by most coach owners.
Old 08-12-2021, 11:06 AM   #13

Quote:
Living in Orlando I had all my chassis/alignment work done at JOSAM. They did a 4 corner weigh (I think it was $50).
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 11:18 AM   #14
D20
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew55 View Post
Living in Orlando I had all my chassis/alignment work done at JOSAM. They did a 4 corner weigh (I think it was $50).
That is good to know. They are in my neck of the woods. Thanks