Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2006, 10:22 AM   #1

Our rig has one fire extinguisher mounted by the door. This is great if a fire breaks out while we are driving. However, it will not do us much good if there is a fire in the kitchen while we are in the bedroom . Hence I will install additional extinguishers.

Before I do so I would like to learn from the rest of you: Where have you put them and what kind did you buy?

moved by moderator from Winnebago Owners Forun

https://www.irv2.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=664&cat=2
ARNE-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2006, 10:22 AM   #2

Our rig has one fire extinguisher mounted by the door. This is great if a fire breaks out while we are driving. However, it will not do us much good if there is a fire in the kitchen while we are in the bedroom . Hence I will install additional extinguishers.

Before I do so I would like to learn from the rest of you: Where have you put them and what kind did you buy?

moved by moderator from Winnebago Owners Forun

https://www.irv2.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=664&cat=2
ARNE-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 10:31 AM   #3
Administrator Emeritus

Arne,to address part of your post,if there is a fire in the kitchen and you are in the bedroom,in all seriousness,you need to use the WINDOW and not an extinquisher.
The extinquisher is mounted by the door for a reason...
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 12:30 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have installed several foam extinguishers in the back and front of my rig. Easier to clean up after, if you need to use them. also have severqal 5 lb. dry in the outside storage bin with the propane.
Was just at a friends and he picked up a product I thnk it's called FireIce in a spray can like pam but puts out the flame and if on cloth you can't get the cloth to relight. Suspose to be the same stuff they mix with water to put out aircraft fires.
John Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 01:34 PM   #5

Get the large FOAM type that Home Depot sells - they are about 25 bucks or so if I remember correctly. I bought three - one for the front of the coach (in addition to the pathetic little dry chemical factory installed extinguisher), one in the bedroom, and one for the toad.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 01:34 PM   #6

ARNE-T, try this out and you will feel much better if a fire does break out. Commanderchassis@centurytel.net
terry
Old 03-17-2006, 01:54 PM   #7

ARNE-T

You want one that is rated ABC and Dry Chemical.
The drawback to a dry chem is that you must check it at least once a year, and with a rubber mallet, hit the bottom to "shake up" the dry powder. It will settle and when you need it most, won't discharge.

Being an ex volunteer firefighter, I agree with rebelsbeach, if there's a fire in the kitchen and you're in the bedroom, get the **** out and call 911. . . .then your insurance company.

Tincup

Margaret - She who must be obeyed.
Tincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 02:03 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
We replaced the large dry chemical extinguisher near the entry door with a "designer foam," and put the dry chemical one in the storage compartment near the entry door. We put smaller foam extinguishers in the galley, in the bedroom, and in the toad.

If you have any dry chemical extinguishers ...especially if that is ALL you have ...make sure you shake it up occasionally to keep the power from packing in the bottom and making it useless.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 03:05 PM   #9
Administrator Emeritus

Use a mental checklist to make a Fight-or-Flight Decision. Attempt to use an extinguisher only if ALL of the following apply:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>The building is being evacuated (fire alarm is pulled)
The fire department is being called (dial 911).

The fire is small, contained and not spreading beyond its starting point.

The exit is clear, there is no imminent peril and you can fight the fire with your back to the exit.

You can stay low and avoid smoke.

The proper extinguisher is immediately at hand.

You have read the instructions and know how to use the extinguisher.[/list]
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 05:35 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I agree with everybody else that exiting is the first thing you want to do in case of a fire in your RV. That being said we have 2 ABC type extinguishers, 1 by each door. The ABC part means it is good to use for almost any type of fire including electrical. Escape from the fire should be your first priority. We followed my wifes parents on a trip up a highway once and they were only about 15 minutes ahead of us. We saw what was left of a RV along the side of the road, it was completely burned up, all that was left was the frame, engine, and still smoking tires. When we got to where we were going we asked my wife's parents about it and they said they never saw it. We were only 15 minutes behind them so the RV caught fire and was consumed in less than 15 minutes! And I do mean this thing had only frame, engine and smoking tires left when we went by it! EVERYTHING attached to the frame was gone! So getting out should be your first and only priority!
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 03:16 AM   #11

To; ALL&lt; re; FIRE EXTINGUISHERS and #'s,

I have 7 extinguishers in and outside of moho.

2 in bedroom
1 in bath, toilet area

2 in galley, living room

2 outside , 1 on drivers side the other on passenger side.

My thinking is you don't know where a fire will break out and I don't want to crawl thru it to ger to extinguisher.

Yes, they do cost, but WHAT PRICE LIFE ?

thanks, == Aime=== AJBJRVERS
Old 03-19-2006, 03:00 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Agree with AFChap. We have moved our Dry Chemical extinguishers to the outer bays after obtaining one large Foam and 3 small foam extinguishers.

Here's where we bought ours: http://www.macthefireguy.com/Home-old.htm You'll see Mac McCoy at various rallys around the country.

Mac
Old 03-19-2006, 03:52 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have one by the front door, I installed one in the Bedroom and I keep two in the cabinet on the entry step.

These are for any legal requirements. I will be outside, waiting for my insurance rep.. These units will burn faster than you think, and they will explode. I hope I only have to use them to help someone else. Make sure they are rated ABC.
Old 03-23-2006, 07:23 AM   #14

aj and bj..I like the way you think concerning your fire extinguishers. Better to have and not need than need and not have!

I have been a firefighter for 28 years and I get the distinct impression that you are, or at least, may have been yourself or you have had some experience in some capacity with the word FIRE...

It's just the same priciple to me when the smoke detector manufacturers recommend a working smoke detector on every level of your home. They now advise putting one near to your sleeping areas.

My stance has always been, you can't have too many. I have at least one in every room in my home, with three in my garage and two in my kitchen and living room areas, along with carbon monoxide detectors.

Motorhome/camper fires can be serious in a matter of no time, Im talking seconds. They are constructed in the same principle as a mobile home (no pun intended)or "trailers" (again no pun intended).

Most folks know or have heard about how fast mobile homes are consumed by fire, often scant minutes, within as little as 5 minutes. In the fire service, we make very few "saves" of mobile home fires. Not to say that all are lost. Many factors come into play as with all fire responses situations.
The basic reason is that mobile homes, camping trailers, motorhome, what have you are basically a small box, encased in a tight structure, either aluminum or fiberglass. As a fire grows, it intensifies, in large part to the heavy amount on Class A combustibles present on site in close quarters, ( wood, paper, textiles). Add cooking oils to the mix (cooking fires are a leading cause of residential fires)and the problem mutiples dramatically.
The heat, rising to the top of the already low ceilings, rapidly builds heat and spreads outward and then downward, just like water running off would be, if the roles were reveresed.
All the while this heat is radiating and convecting to other combustibles in the "structure". These unburned items, when they reach their own inginiton temperatures, will spontaneously ignite, causing the phenomenom known as a flashover. When flashover occurs, the fire is rapidly spread under intense pressure over surfaces which have reached their iginiton temperature, and eseentially ignites everything in the area.
Many firefighters are killed or injured every year in flashovers..These are trained firefighters, working in larger structures, both residential and commercial, who recognize the warning signs, are trained to react, and have the equipment to protect themselves--and sometimes it is still to no avail.
IMHO, in a motorhome or camper trailer, PERSONALLY, if I was unable to stand up and breathe CLEARLY immediately at the first sign of trouble, I would immediately EVAC the unit--and call 9-1-1..
In your case, you have a large amount of extinguishers present in (what I assume) is a 40 ft unit. That can be good, but early detection is also paramount.We have looked at 40', 42' and a 45' units and, I plan on installing smoke detectors at least every 10 feet on any unit that (prayerfully) the Lord sees fit for me to have, along with at least 2 carbon monoxide detectors, especailly 1 in the sleeping quarters.
Better to retreat and live to fight another day than risk it all--and have no other days.
Tincup hit it squarely on the head, get out, call 911 and then let the insurance company do its job....
I know it will hurt losing your unit and the attached memories and sentimental physical items--but we can replace your unit with another one, probably newer and better, to create new memories with..
But we can't replace you guys!