Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2010, 06:05 PM   #1

First Drive with the TruCenter -- Works Great!

Our coach has done well for the two years that we have had it, but crosswinds and road camber sometimes really tire me out since I have to hold the wheel against these issues. Anyway, we decided to give the TruCenter a try.

I purchased it from the good folks at RVUpgrades, who really helped to make sure I had the right mounting brackets. I was able to install it myself on our Freightliner chassis (Winnebago Tour coach). The install was not a big problem, but I was ready for the high torque specification of the attaching nuts (nothing like a 4' cheater bar). Other than that, it was just a matter of following the excellent instructions from BlueOx.

Today, we had the chance to try it out. As luck would have it, there was a strong crosswind (always seems to be a wind when we drive!) and the coach wanted to move with it. I held the wheel to straighten the coach as always, but this time, pressed the TruCenter center button -- and bingo -- no more pulling! We went straight as an arrow! VERY cool! Later on, we started to go with the wind and no problem, just hold the coach straight, press the button, and we are straight again.

As side benefit of this seems to be a very secure feeling when driving as the steering seemed to be very stable and returns to center well. After trying this, I wish I had added this system 2 years ago -- don't think I will have a coach without one again.

2020 Fleetwood Discovery 40M
rv rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2010, 09:26 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
The new Blue Ox -- Tru-Center has been redesigned and it's a much more robust unit. Congratulations on your install!
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 12:32 AM   #3

Rick, don't rub it in.
This has been on my wish list for a while after returning their old unit that had some problems and patiently waiting for their new unit and then waiting some more for the mounting kit.
However after my last discussion with Blue Ox a couple of months ago, it doesn't look like there is going to be a mounting kit made to fit the Freightliner chassis that has the IFS suspension.
Henderson also doesn't have one for the IFS suspension

I wanted one for the same reason you mentioned. Those cross winds can get wicked out west

Glad it worked out for you. Maybe one of these days some one will make a unit for the IFS suspension
Old 03-20-2010, 10:34 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I rather like my True Center as well.....

All the stabilizers try to keep you centered.. The problem is what happens if center "Changes" for some reason.. Perhaps a strong wind, a high domed road, differences in loading the MH or a slight change in alignment

All the others: Drive, guess the correction, crawl under with hammer and wrench and ... Adjust.. Drive some more.> Cuss cause you adjusted the wrong way, crawl under again and adjust some more...

Blue Ox True Center: Push button.
Old 03-20-2010, 10:48 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I like mine, you just push the button.
Attached Images

Old 03-22-2010, 02:17 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
The new Blue Ox -- Tru-Center has been redesigned and it's a much more robust unit. Congratulations on your install!
When was the Tru-Center redesigned and what was done to it?

Thanks,
Mountain Master Motorcycle Lift, 2018 Harley Davidson CVO Limited
wlf00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 04:00 PM   #7

I thought they went with a double piston instead of the single unit. The redesigned Tru-Center unit came out in the summer of 2007 I believe. You might double check that with Blue Ox as it could have been 2006 as well. The numbers get kind of foggy at times
Old 03-23-2010, 05:05 AM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
I just installed my TruCenter last week after finding out that SuperSteers centering adapter for my coach did not fit (see my other post on that).

Took two test rides with the TruCenter and was impressed. The real test is our ride from NJ to FL this weekend.

After having installed half of a SuperSteer/Safe-T-Plus combo and the TruCenter, the TruCenter was MUCH easier.

I know one other poster on iRV2 had problems with the solenoids blowing on his TruCenter, but I have not had that problem yet.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 06:48 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I had the bad solenoid problem when first installed. It was my fault, the instructions tell you not to hold the switch for more than 20 seconds, I was just playing and held it down repeatedly for much longer. I didn't read the instructions first, go figure. Blue-Ox repaired at no charge. It has worked fine since.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:46 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I'm jealous! Congrats. Near the top of my wish list is the trim kit for the Safe-T-Steer I already have.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote