Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2020, 09:00 AM   #15

I don't know what common specs are for a CPAP unit, but the one I saw online says 2.0A at 120V, so that's around 20A (plus inverter losses) at 12V. 8 hours of use would take at least 160 Ah from the batteries.

Perhaps a 12VDC unit will draw less, if anyone makes such a thing. But again, that's just the first one I found on-line. Your particular unit may use less energy. Or more.

And you can always add another battery or two, if that's what it takes.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2020, 08:19 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by KanzKran View Post
I don't know what common specs are for a CPAP unit, but the one I saw online says 2.0A at 120V, so that's around 20A (plus inverter losses) at 12V. 8 hours of use would take at least 160 Ah from the batteries.

Perhaps a 12VDC unit will draw less, if anyone makes such a thing. But again, that's just the first one I found on-line. Your particular unit may use less energy. Or more.

And you can always add another battery or two, if that's what it takes.
I know a bunch more now than when I decided to install 2 12v 125ah... I’d have gone with 4 6v with twice the ah. Oh well, live and learn. I’m considering biting the bullet and buying another one.

I’m also thinking about trying to jury rig the cpap to run on dc only. But only after some more research.
CWP3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 08:21 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_K5LXP View Post
Shutting off the inverter is worth turning off if what it powers can go through the night unpowered, but there's no reason to deny yourself something like a CPAP for the sake of battery preservation. You know your capacity, so figure out your loads and come up with a routine of device use and generator run time to work for you. A battery monitor will go a long way to give you confidence in the system as you go.

Mark B,
Albuquerque, NM
Yep - I’ve got a monitor on my “to do” list. When I get back to wv this weekend I’ve got to winterize, then put together a prioritized list for spring.
Old 01-19-2020, 08:48 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWP3 View Post
We will run the gen for the next air conditioner requirement. Then after it cools off we’ll shut them off. And just before bed we’ll turn in the inverter (1800w) for a while. Then before bed, probably just turn it off and try to sleep without the cpap.

There are several CPAP users here who dry-camp/boondock using the inverter without and issues. The coffee maker will also run off the inverter, just don't leave the hot-plate function running. DW has an insulated carafe to keep her coffee hot, plus she can have a cup while we are driving.

Unless you have a residential refrigerator, set the refrigerator to run on propane when dry camping.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 09:48 PM   #19

Quote:
The only 120 will be the fridge (and opened sparingly), water pump, and my cpap.
Do you have a older ammonia fridge (electric or propane) or a residential compressor type (120vAC only)?

My propane fridge is spec'd at 120vac at 2.7 amps in AC mode. The DC mode uses 12vDC at about 1 to 1.5 amps idle, about 18 amps when actually cooling.

A compressor type fridge draws 1 to 2 amps at 120vAC. A good rule of thumb is than an inverter uses 10-11 amps at 12v to make 1 amp at 120vAC.

As to the CPAP... My CPAP is a 24vDC unit (Airsense 10). It makes no sense to take 12v and invert it to 120vAC and then to convert it to 24vDC.

There is always a loss when converting one voltage to another...

So going from 12vDC to 120vAC and back to any lower DC voltage has double losses.

This is why I tell everybody to use a 12v source for as many low voltage things as possible. My cellphone charger, razor charger, tablet charger, laptop charger, and home-made CPAP converter all run off of the house battery. The cellphone and tablet are 5v, the razor is 3.5v and I use common commercially available chargers. The laptop charger is a 12vDC to 18vDC one made by Lind corporation intended for police cars and ambulances. I built up a 12vDC-to-24vDC converter (under $35 for the parts) for my CPAP... yes there is a conversion loss, but only one level of loss.

If your CPAP is 214v and want to duplicate my custom 12vDC to 24vDC CPAP converter just let me know.

Mike
Old 01-20-2020, 05:17 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherMike View Post
Do you have a older ammonia fridge (electric or propane) or a residential compressor type (120vAC only)?
Electric residential...
Old 01-20-2020, 10:41 PM   #21

Quote:
Electric residential...
I'm still using a propane fridge so I have no personal experience with that... I'm sure that others have and will chime in with true-to-live experiences.

Mike

Tags
cwp3, power