Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2023, 08:26 PM   #1

Jayco Owners Club
Flag poles

Trying to figure out a good reliable telescoping flag pole for our MH.

My Bud has one that is very nice. Problem is, not sure I want to spend $339 for it.

What ha everyone found to b a good, reasonably priced flag pole.
Would like one that has the drive on mount as I would like the flag towards the front of the MH and not stuck on the back ladder. Kind of hard to see if you have to back into a sit.

Would like to show my patriotism by displaying our flag but don't want to go broke doing it.
Most I've researched that telescope, the hints slip and don't hold very well.

Comments pease!
DamonCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2023, 08:34 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Flag Pool Buddy

This is what we use.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 08:40 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I've had mine for over a decade.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 08:45 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I'm on my 13th year with mine.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 09:13 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonCamper View Post
Would like one that has the drive on mount as I would like the flag towards the front of the MH and not stuck on the back ladder. Kind of hard to see if you have to back into a sit.
Flagpole Buddy offers a suction mount (https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Flagp...s-p/106962.htm) that would allow you flexibility for mount location.

I used the Flagpole Buddy system for a few years. I did experience some difficulty with that system in relatively high wind situations; collapsed pole sections and pole breakage.

Currently, I'm using a https://www.uncommonflagpoles.com/ very sturdy telescoping aluminum pole with a custom made mount that attaches to my tow bar. Very sturdy, easy to deploy and completely secure in all weather conditions (wind gusts to 60mph). It does FAIL the 'not expensive' test.

They do offer a sturdy mount that you park one tire over. That wouold allow for a front (steer) tire mount.

For me, it's well worth the expense.

Take care,
Stu

P.S. Fly the flag proudly!
Old 02-05-2023, 04:44 AM   #6

Flag Pole Buddy. They have a variety of lengths and 2 diameters. Standard pole is 1.5" and extreme pole is 2". I did have small pole break in high winds while flying 2 flags and with a light on top. I now have the extreme 2" pole.
B52Rnav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 10:16 AM   #7

I agree that Flag Pole Buddy is the best.

Also GREAT people to work with.

HERE's mine:

Healeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 06:07 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have a telescoping flag pole we got about 3 years ago at an FMCA rally.

My coach does not have a ladder. I use a 20 ft pole.
I have a mount that goes into the hitch. I also have a mount that you drive a tire on to hold it. Two separate mounts as choices.

I like the rear hitch mount the best but it requires the tow bar to be removed from the motorhome. Not a big deal but sometimes a pain.

The weekly mount can be used with any wheel depending on the floor plan and slide out locations.

We use the one week rule. If staying a week or more we put up the flag. Quick stops then we don’t put up the flag. If high winds are expected we can lower the flag quickly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D6F7810F-49EB-4ABE-9044-0AC01E8B0987.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	298.9 KB
ID:	385849  
Sold 2017 Entegra Cornerstone B
RVFunlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 06:23 PM   #9

I purchased mine from Rural King and repurposed a receiver hitch type bike rack mount. When we upgraded our satellite system I was able to use the switched 12 volt wire for a spotlight.
Our son is in the National Guard and we camp sometimes with a Veteran. We do fly our Flag proudly.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PXL_20210829_010340019.NIGHT.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	181.5 KB
ID:	385850   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220402_170837622~2.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	718.0 KB
ID:	385851  

Name:	IMG_20180701_201352.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	357.0 KB
ID:	385852  
Old 02-05-2023, 07:12 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVFunlovers View Post
I have a telescoping flag pole we got about 3 years ago at an FMCA rally.

My coach does not have a ladder. I use a 20 ft pole.
I have a mount that goes into the hitch. I also have a mount that you drive a tire on to hold it. Two separate mounts as choices.

I like the rear hitch mount the best but it requires the tow bar to be removed from the motorhome. Not a big deal but sometimes a pain.
Hi Hal,

I use the same flagpole. It's sold by Uncommon USA (https://www.uncommonflagpoles.com/th...0-foot-silver/), currently on sale. For me, it was essential to add the optional dusk to dawn solar powered light. The telescoping aluminum flagpole is much sturdier than the fiberglass FlagPole Buddy.

I was not enthusiastic to use either the under tire mount or the receiver hitch mount. Although either would "work", it increased the hassle factor of flying the flag. I have an acquaintance who has metal fabrication skills who constructed this for me:

Name:	Mount 1.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	385859

Name:	Mount 2.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	385860

Name:	Mount 3.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	188.1 KB
ID:	385861

You can see that it simply clamps over the 2" square tow bar. It's very secure and easy to attach. I don't have to remove the tow bar to use it.

I've modified your "one week" rule and will fly my flags for a one night stay.

Take care,
Stu
Old 02-05-2023, 07:51 PM   #11

I have a harbor freight flag pole I got about 10 years ago. I also got a hitch adapter for the flag pole.yes it’s in the back, but as you can see it is very visible.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	C600941B-1A0E-4AD8-819B-67634452B80B.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	474.4 KB
ID:	385866  
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 04:02 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 Driver View Post
Hi Hal,

I use the same flagpole. It's sold by Uncommon USA (https://www.uncommonflagpoles.com/th...0-foot-silver/), currently on sale. For me, it was essential to add the optional dusk to dawn solar powered light. The telescoping aluminum flagpole is much sturdier than the fiberglass FlagPole Buddy.

I was not enthusiastic to use either the under tire mount or the receiver hitch mount. Although either would "work", it increased the hassle factor of flying the flag. I have an acquaintance who has metal fabrication skills who constructed this for me:

Attachment 385859

Attachment 385860

Attachment 385861

You can see that it simply clamps over the 2" square tow bar. It's very secure and easy to attach. I don't have to remove the tow bar to use it.

I've modified your "one week" rule and will fly my flags for a one night stay.

Take care,
Stu

Stu, what a cool mount. I like it. That looks far easier to use. I completely agree with the light on the flag.
Sold 2017 Entegra Cornerstone B
RVFunlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 06:19 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVFunlovers View Post
Stu, what a cool mount.
Hal, it is MUCH easier to use than the one that requires removal of the tow bar. I also purchased one of the under wheel stands that I’ve never used. Just too much hassle to employ.

My mount uses the Uncommon USA Side Mount bolted to the fabricated piece. The acquaintance who fabricated mine suggested that it was a relatively easy fabrication. I don’t recall how much I paid him for it. I pretty much just let him look at the tow bar and the side mount from Uncommon USA as I explained how I wanted to mount the flagpole. He took a couple of measurements and in a few days it was ready for pickup. I had it powder coated for durability and have been very satisfied. I do use a 6” square piece of rubber horse stall mat on the ground under the flagpole.

If you want any closer pictures or measurements, let me know. The coach is in the shop for another week, or so, before I’ll be able to accommodate.

As an aside, a couple of years ago, I did send a detailed description and photos to Uncommon USA and encouraged them to manufacture a similar mounting system. I received no reply from them and they don't offer anything similar for sale on their website.

Take care,
Stu
Old 02-06-2023, 07:00 AM   #14

Flag poles

When traveling with the tow bar I use one of those hitch extensions with the second high receiver and put the flag pole holder that I fabricated in that location. With the winds we have on the TX coast the mount and pole has to be pretty strong, especially flying a pair of big flags high.
God bless America and Texas and our freedoms so often taken for granted!

CO-Z 20ft Flag Poles Telescoping... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LZWB0K0...p_mob_ap_share

Name:	IMG_1282.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	338.7 KB
ID:	385874
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote