Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2007, 04:52 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to Garbageman
I want to say they I am not associated with the Flair-it company in any way.

I want to recommend their products. I had to replace the shower faucet on my '91 Hawkins and the water lines are the PB piping. PB is held to its fittings with metal crimp clamps. When doing this work I doubt any of us have the crimp tool to reinstall the piping, I didn't.

Flair-it, www-flair-it.com has a fitting to replace the gray fittings for the PB piping and they work great-no tools necessary.

I reinstalled the water line with the new fittings and no leaks.

What a great product.

Paul
Garbageman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2007, 04:52 PM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to Garbageman
I want to say they I am not associated with the Flair-it company in any way.

I want to recommend their products. I had to replace the shower faucet on my '91 Hawkins and the water lines are the PB piping. PB is held to its fittings with metal crimp clamps. When doing this work I doubt any of us have the crimp tool to reinstall the piping, I didn't.

Flair-it, www-flair-it.com has a fitting to replace the gray fittings for the PB piping and they work great-no tools necessary.

I reinstalled the water line with the new fittings and no leaks.

What a great product.

Paul
Garbageman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 05:37 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Skyline Owners Group
I saw the plumbing in a Winnebago and it was all Flare-It fittings. I think that is a case where actions are better than words.

BTW: I do have crimp tools for PEX crimp rings--one is large like bolt cutters and the other is small for tight working quarters. As the story goes (and there are some on this forum that had seen it before I sold the MH)....I didn't like the basement plumbing in my 2000 MH, so I re-plumbed with Flair-It. Then I decided that I didn't like the look of Flair-It fittings when the rest of the MH had PEX fittings/crimp rings. So I bought the tools, food-grade (NSF) valves, couplers, elbows, and went at it a second time. I believe that the finished look of the PEX was much cleaner looking, and "factory-like".

gm
George Miklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 09:06 AM   #4

Location: Honolulu, Hawaii (last fixed residence before becoming fulltimers)
Here is an even better water line fitting for RVs: www.Seatechinc.com. These fittings seal on the outside of the line and therefore do not restrict flow, can be rotated after installed to align other connections, simply push together with no threads and remove just as easily by holding down the collar and pulling apart! Can be used with any water line.
Poki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 04:10 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ditto on the SeaTech. I did some major upgrades on both my Busses and used SeaTech fitings exclusively. They are the easiest to use and have a nice variety of sizes and styles.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 06:44 PM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Poki:
Here is an even better water line fitting for RVs: www.Seatechinc.com. These fittings seal on the outside of the line and therefore do not restrict flow, can be rotated after installed to align other connections, simply push together with no threads and remove just as easily by holding down the collar and pulling apart! Can be used with any water line. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have a hard time trusting these brake or self locking fittings because as head of maintenance for a large millwork company we just had too many fail to hold.

We designed and built much of our own machinery and used these fittings for water, air and oil lines at pressures below 120 psi with most regulated between 40 and 50 psi and after our initial trials went back to the old fashioned ferrul and compression nut because of the high failure rate of these brake fittings when exposed to heat and vibration. Maybe they have improved them greatly in the past ten years but...
Old 03-22-2007, 12:27 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Another positive post for Flair-it fittings. I just redid the water line to my under counter water filter because of a leak and used Flair-it fittings. I had also used them on my old travel trailer a few years ago after an RV dealer showed them to me. The fittings are very easy to use and seal great!
Old 03-22-2007, 04:23 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I never had any issues in the last 3 years with the SeaTech fittings. Tiffin tests the systems at 120 PSI and they hold. They are the same basic design that is used on air brake lines on all the diesel pushers and trucks so they can't be too problematic. Don't know what they were like 10 years ago, though.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 02:07 PM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cruzer:
I never had any issues in the last 3 years with the SeaTech fittings. Tiffin tests the systems at 120 PSI and they hold. They are the same basic design that is used on air brake lines on all the diesel pushers and trucks so they can't be too problematic. Don't know what they were like 10 years ago, though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It may be time to revisit them then. Use to be you couldn't get anything of quality from Japan or China that's changed too hasn't it.

Still once bitten twice shy.
Old 03-22-2007, 05:07 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Sorry, Have to join Garbageman the Flair-it works great with the pex and old grey pipe. I have never had a leak that was fixed with it, So far. I'm going to be using more in the rebuild on our 'home'.
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote