Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2016, 11:58 AM   #1

Fleetwood Bounder only starts with aux battery

I am new to the RV world and have been enjoying a few trips over the summer. I have 1993 Fleetwood Bounder 28T on a P30 chassis that is in really good condition. On a recent trip when I turned the key on to start the RV I got nothing. Not even a click.

Here are the things that I checked:
- Checked the starting battery voltage was at 12.6 volts
- Checked all battery cables, all seemed tight and clean
- Checked to make sure that I turned on the battery switch by the door for both Aux. and starting battery
- Checked to make sure that the transmission was in "Park"

Then I remembered that there is the button far left of driver side on dash to aid in starting if battery is dead. Pushed it and turned the key and it started right up. When I got home from trip which was a few hours away I removed the battery put it on the charger over night, then took to have tested. All checked a good under load. Went back to RV and installed battery. Made sure that all cables and connections were clean and tight. Still no go with it even turning on radio, light, dash lights...anything. Push the button on left again and turn the key fires right up.

Where do I start looking? Is it possible the switch at the door that disconnects power could be bad? Solenoid? Electrical is not my strongest subject. Any help would be appreciated!

Jim
Landarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2016, 01:29 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

Where did you measure chassis battery voltage? It really sounds like a bad ground connection. I'd take voltage measurements in other locations with ignition on. If it's lower than it should be, remove and clean ground connections.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 01:39 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Sounds like the start relay. There should be two relays, one for normal start and the other for emergency start. Check voltage on the relays with someone turning the key to normal start. I had this problem on my 2005 daybreak. Lucky it was a loose connection at the battery. But you could have loose connection at the relay. Good luck

PS. Not sure if you have the same setup. These relays look like the Ford type starter relays you may have seen in the past. I will see if I have some pics. Also, you can do a search on this forum and find all kinds of information. Just type in "Emergency Start Solenoid" or something similar.
hawkeye1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 01:43 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club

Glad to have you here in the forum with us.

As BFlinn stated it sounds like you don't have good connections.

Happy Trails!!!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 03:31 PM   #5

Measured while it was removed from the RV. Also had it tested with load and all was good. I will go back and double check the ground is clean and has a good tight connection.
Old 07-20-2016, 05:07 PM   #6

Well just came back from the RV storage lot. Checked the ground cable all is tight and clean. Opened up fuse box under front hood and pulled all fuses and checked, all is good. At this point I am not sure what to check next.
Old 07-21-2016, 07:52 AM   #7

Do you think replacing the disconnect solenoid would be a good place to start? Or is there something else I might try? Here are a few images of the fuse panel and the solenoid relay.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fuse-box.jpg
Views:	506
Size:	282.0 KB
ID:	133757   Click image for larger version

Name:	relay.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	247.1 KB
ID:	133758  

Old 07-21-2016, 09:31 AM   #8

Can anyone tell me if this diagram would be correct for my 1993 Fleetwood Bounder 28T on P30 chassis.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MH Start Circuit.jpg
Views:	761
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	133763  
Old 07-21-2016, 09:43 AM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Rather than replace the disconnect solenoid, test the ignition relay. The fact that it starts with the emergency start button on the dash points to low voltage (dirty connection) but using the ESB bypasses the bad connection and allows voltage to engage starter.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 10:54 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landarts View Post
Do you think replacing the disconnect solenoid would be a good place to start? Or is there something else I might try? Here are a few images of the fuse panel and the solenoid relay.
Are you talking about the disconnect for the coach batteries? Or do you have another disconnect for the chassis?

If you do have one for the chassis battery itself, then yes, start there.
Old 07-21-2016, 07:25 PM   #11

OK this afternoon I removed the ground cable, sanded the frame to bare metal, used a air die grinder to make all connections look like new again, covered everything with die electric grease.........and again same results. At this point I am lost for what to do next.

It seems logical that if I can start it by using the aux. battery switch that it would point to the starter battery ground being the issue. Must be something else causing the disconnect.
Old 07-22-2016, 02:27 PM   #12

Throwing in the towel.......going to take it to the rv repair shop and let them pour magic dust on the gremlins......thanks for all of the responses. I will be back to report the findings so in the future if it can help anyone with the same situation.
Old 07-22-2016, 02:52 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
No... wait....
Up until now you have been guessing, now start testing.

Find the Aux start relay. This is where both batteries are combined.
So you know the circuit from this point to the starter is good.

One big terminal should have your chassis battery and starter cable on the same stud.
My bet is you will see about 11 volts on this terminal when using aux start, but low voltage with just chassis bat.

If this is the case, there are only a few things that can be wrong.

If you take it in, you will hate to hear that they found something simple$$$$.

Dan
Old 07-24-2016, 05:16 PM   #14

I'm also just guessing, but it would be logical to look at the battery connection to the joint where the aux battery connects, just as Dan mentioned. If the battery is showing good volts and the ground is good, it has to be that the start battery is not properly connected to the starter relay.

HTH

Tom
TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, bounder, fleetwood