Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2019, 02:38 PM   #1

Flexsteel Captain Chairs

Has anyone had problems with the so called leather
flaking off, they are only 5 years old. Any kind of
warrantee or recall?

Larry
2013 Fleetwood Excursion 35C
Bandit73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2019, 04:03 PM   #2

If you could get warranty,they would probably reward you with more of that nasty material. I would make contact with an upholsterer who could suggest some sort of fabric that is nicer to sit on for a day's journey.

DIY Rear Panhard Rod
exrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 04:06 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 04:55 PM   #4

The problem is not with Flexsteel, it is with your RV manufacturer that specified the cheapest possible material be used in the construction of the seats. Contact your RV manufacturer for out of warranty assistance with their poor quality specified material. I can tell you now that you won't get any, just as Thor wouldn't do anything about the poor quality material they specified when I had my gas coach. When it came time to replace that coach, Thor wasn't considered.
Old 01-02-2019, 08:54 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Fleetwood ordered really crappy material on many of their seats and 4 or 5 years was all they were good for. New seats with quality material will set you back around $3,000.00 but are worth the cost.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 09:48 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
There are lots of threads on this subject. It's a very common issue during certain model years when mfr's spec'd cheaper material. Some mfr's will help you, others won't. From what I've read, FW is in the "won't" column.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 10:03 PM   #7

New leather can be ordered from Flexsteel. Remove the old, install the new. Expect cost to be around $450/chair. Older Flexsteel products are superior to newer, no surprise there. I wouldn’t expect any manufacturer to cover replacement of 5 year old leather, except maybe Marathon.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 09:19 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I have a friend with a 2015 Dutch Star and his seats went bad in a couple of years. Newmar replaced the couches and dinette, and recovered the driver and passenger seats. The replacement material doesn't look very good.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:11 PM   #9

Mine are 20 years old this year and still look GREAT! I would have them recovered rather buy new if I had issues.
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 04:42 AM   #10

We purchased our coach a few months ago. The seats had minimal flaking when we purchased. However, with just a few days of use, they are flaking at an alarming rate. They look quite terrible now.

Anyway, the original owners had received a set of new covers from Flexsteel through warranty, which we received with the coach.

I'm debating whether or not to put them on? If they are no better than the original material, it will be short lived. And, we're considering they may be more value to put on just prior to selling (if/when we ever do). Actually, typing that out makes it sound obvious that we should put them on and enjoy them ourselves. I do get embarrassed by the current condition. Friends are amazed at the condition of the coach, but always say, "but those seats....".

So does anyone have knowledge that there may have been a change in quality with the replacement covers?
Rolling Ragu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 01:49 AM   #11

Welcome to the forum!!
Old 01-07-2019, 03:53 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
I replaced the seat skins on our flex steel chairs because they were pealing. I specified ultra leather fabric and flex steel made them to the original pattern. They cost about $400 each and I installed them. Your new covers could be the same or different material depending on what was ordered. I would put them on and use them and if they go bad, replace with better material in the future.
Mason Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 08:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tragusa3 View Post
We purchased our coach a few months ago. The seats had minimal flaking when we purchased. However, with just a few days of use, they are flaking at an alarming rate. They look quite terrible now.

Anyway, the original owners had received a set of new covers from Flexsteel through warranty, which we received with the coach.

I'm debating whether or not to put them on? If they are no better than the original material, it will be short lived. And, we're considering they may be more value to put on just prior to selling (if/when we ever do). Actually, typing that out makes it sound obvious that we should put them on and enjoy them ourselves. I do get embarrassed by the current condition. Friends are amazed at the condition of the coach, but always say, "but those seats....".

So does anyone have knowledge that there may have been a change in quality with the replacement covers?

I first called flexsteel last year as I did not have flaking but a very very thin fabric on my bench seat in the kitchen. It was after a year of very little use. (Not a Fleetwood problem, but it is in the quality bought)
I gave it a shot anyway . Flexsteel said we can sell you the completed fabric for your bench seat. I decided to go this route at a $218 cost.
I decided after that to send the old seat back to customer service and also cc’d the company ceo.
Many e mails later with no response I finally stated in an email that I would address this thru rv motorhome. That got an immediate response from customer service. They said as they didn’t create the fabric only the frame I should talk to the fabric makers.
They supplied that name. This company said they no longer dealt with that company but knew about the problem and offered all new fabric ( as they fully agreed the old fabric was garbage) they now used a different higher quality fabric of a different type.
They offered to send swatches for me to choose from and would ship me new fabric.
Confused I said, fabric? Yep, yards of fabric free to have interior reupholstered that I would have to have done.
Worth it? Yes. No. ?
mrsportys is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air