Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2010, 12:56 PM   #1

Flooded Interior - Anti Siphon Valve

I recently awoke at night and found the bedroom carpet under water. I turned off the city water supply outside. I traced the problem to the anti-syphon valve under the bathroom sink.
Drawing water from the fresh water tank with the onboard pump did not produce any leakage at the valve. Turning on the city water produced a flood out of the valve again.
I am very concerned about the OSB flooring which is unprotected, has no water barrier on it. I cut the carpet in the bedroom, dried out the OSB there, under the sink and under the shower stall. Should I tear up the linoleum in the bathroom?
I disassembled the valve, found nothing wrong internally.
At our next camping stop, I turned on the city water supply and there was no flooding from the valve. It has worked properly ever since.
What would cause the problem? What can I do other than replaceing the valve?
What should I do about the OSB under the bathroom linoleum? The OSB is now dry under the shower stall and sink and in the bedroom.
Thanks in advance for any answers, advice and so forth.
Lee 2007 Monaco Knight 40 PDQ
leeines is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2010, 07:32 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
I see no other comments ...

I read this message this morning and have thought about it off and on all day. On my MH, the ONLY WAY I can think of for water to come out the anti-siphon valve under the bathroom sink would be if I had connected to the black tank rinse inlet and turned on the water hose and overfilled the black tank ...and I know from experience (yep, I have done it), if the bathroom sink drain is not closed it will actually overflow the sink on my coach rather than come out the anti-siphon valve. (and yes, the water "looked" clean)

Is it possible at the first stop that you had the shore water hose attached to the wrong inlet in the water service bay?? ...on my MH, they look identical except for the labels, and I can imagine if I were tired and/or not paying attention ...or if someone not familiar with things hooked the water up ...the hose could get connected to the wrong inlet.

...I can think of no other way for water to come out the anti-siphon valve under the sink ...or for water to even be present in that vent pipe ...than an overfilled waste tank.

As far as drying out the floor, it sounds like you have done what you can. I doubt much would soak into the flooring under the linoleum ...when I did the deed water was actually flowing out the bottom of the MH through a wiring/plumbing access hole under the bathroom cabinet.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:48 PM   #3

I agree, the anti-syphon valve under the bathroom sink is part of the black tank flushing system and it has no connection to city water or the fresh water tank. A friend connected his city water hose to the black tank flush and went inside and turned on the TV. His wife caught the problem before it did any real damage. I saw him flying out the door and running to turn off the water and he admitted his mistake.
Norm4015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 07:00 AM   #4

Anti Sypphon valve oveflow and a flood

Paul and Norm,
Thank you for your replies.
I know for sure that there was no water to my black tank as the hose to it was not connected, so the mystery still exists. I will have to resort to calling Monaco, which I hate to do.
Thanks again!
Safe travels,
Lee
Old 10-14-2010, 07:36 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The anti syphon valve is part of the sewer system most of the time the gray tank only because the only thing hooked to the black tank is the toilet and it has it's own vent. They need these valves to prevent water from syphoning from the Ptraps in the sinks and shower and washing machine if so equiped.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 09:58 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Agree with the others - the anti-siphon is in the sink drain line, not the fresh water system. No way the city line would leak out there.

As for the OSB, you will have to inspect to see if it is still structurally ok. If the glue has deteriorated, the fibers or chips will easily come loose or crumble from the surface. Not much to do except replace it if that's the case, though I have had some success stiffening it back up with copious amounts of shellac. Or perhaps a dry rot reapir resin such as Git Rot.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 05:29 AM   #7

Flooded bath and bedrooms

Gary,
Thank you very much for your reply.
Fresh water was definitely coming our of the top of the anti syphon valve. The line that was gushing water was the one that comes into the side of the valve. The other line comes out of the bottom of the valve.
I am puzzled as to where each line originates.
Can you help me with that question.
Thanks in advance for your reply.
Lee
Old 10-16-2010, 05:46 AM   #8

Can you go to the manufacturer's website and pull up a plumbing diagram? It might show where the side line comes from.
OldChief7155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 07:46 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

A picture would help. Perhaps that is not an anti-siphon valve.

Are the water lines in question 1.5" PVC or ABS drain lines or 0.5-0.75" tubing for fresh water?
Old 10-16-2010, 08:09 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
A picture would help. Perhaps that is not an anti-siphon valve.

Are the water lines in question 1.5" PVC or ABS drain lines or 0.5-0.75" tubing for fresh water?
I agree that a picture would help. I had to repair an anti-syphon valve in my motorhome and I replace one in a friend's motorhome. The purpose of an anti-syphon valve is to prevent black water from entering the fresh water supply. There are no anti-syphon valves on the fresh water side.
Norm4015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 08:53 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

It seems evident from the symptoms that whatever that valve may be called, it is in the fresh water system and is pressure sensitive. I'm guessing the city supply pressure was high enough to cause a failure, while the onboard pump @ around 45 psi was not.