RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2019, 03:37 PM   #1

Flooring experts chime in

What is your take/recommendation on a flexible grout?
I am laying 12x24 tile over Ditra in a 36' Crown Royale. 1/16 grout lines planned.
Now, being a motorhome there is flex, it is inevitable. That being said there was 5 year old tile in about 1/3 of it with 1/4" grout lines, 12x12 tile and everything was fine. It was thinsetted over fiber board which was glued and screwed to the 5/8 plywood subfloor.

So I have the ditra down and am about to start mocking up my tile.
Should I use the laticrete spectra pro?
it is porcelain tile, made to look like carrara marble, thinking white grout?

Final question-the tiles have a factory applied wax on the face. Do I remove this wax before or after grouting? Doesnt remove with soap/water, what product do you recommend?
Greg5OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2019, 09:35 PM   #2

I used flexible tile grout on our Villa Stone installation about 6 years ago. It is a sand and resin product. No problems. The floor was untreated plywood.
mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 10:01 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I am not an expert but have done quite a bit of tile work.

Ditra is the way to go as far as an isolation membrane. I assume you'll use a thinset with the polymer additive to lay it.

I would be hesitant about 1/16" spacing though since the motorhome chassis does twist etc. Might be OK but would hate to learn the hard way after all the work involved. I'd consider 1/8" spacing.

I would go head and use the laticrete spectra pro grout.

Not sure on the wax, you might try cleaning one piece and see how easy it is to get off and what you have to use. If you have to use any type of chemical and it is hard to get off I'd remove before installing the tile, otherwise you'll ruin the grout trying to clean it off afterwards.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 10:57 AM   #4

I did end up ordered 1/8 spacers, along with the spin doctor lippage system. This is only my 2nd time laying tile, and 1/16 with a 24" tile leaves extremely minimal amount of leeway.

I did use mapei modified ultraflex thinset for subfloor to ditra. Now I have mapei uncoupling thinset for LFTs to use between the ditra and tiles.

I have heard it both ways regardng the factory applied wax. If you remove the way, you run the possible risk of staining the porcelain, (but I will be using a white grout anyway?, also the wax and residual grout haze (i will be cleaning as I go) could be removed all at once.

I do find it funny when I ask about tiling within an RV on non RV specific forums all the alarms start sounding followed by

I dont think many people realize tiles have been done, and are done, and will continue to be done in motorhomes. Im not sure about 5th wheels as trailers need to be kept light, and as a result quite flexible, but a class A is a different story..
Greg5OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 11:32 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Good thread. I'm thinking about putting tile down in my MH. I've installed engineered wood, but not tile, so looking forward to learning.
Old 09-10-2019, 07:23 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Is the tile porcelain?

Porcelain tile should not stain easily, I wouldn't worry about grout stains. Big thing with the wax covering is that you may stain the grout if you have to use chemicals to clean the tile after grouting.

Agree on tile in motorhomes, I've seen high end coaches with nice tile floors. Never paid attention to spacing though.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor, flooring