Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2022, 10:59 AM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Follow Up to Old Thread - LCI/Lippert Jacks-Down Error

There is an old thread on here:
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/lci-...ml#post5231300

In short, unlike those with 'springs' to retract the jacks and sensors on the jack bottoms to tell the system they are up, the LCI/Lippert motorhome systems uses pressure to drive the jacks up. When the retract hydraulic system pressure hits 2500psi, a pressure sensor opens telling the system the jacks are up. If the pressure drops or never hits 2500psi, a jacks down light illuminates. And if the parking brake is released, the system enters emergency retract, turns on the pump and keeps it on until that pressure sensor opens (2500psi).

I have had the same issue the OP presented twice before. The first time it was a lower seal on the Passenger-Side rear jack. Easy to tell since it was leaking out the bottom of the jack, and the continually running pump sprayed fluid all over the rear of the coach. That jack still leveled the coach (that's the other side of the hydraulic ram inside the jack). It just leaked when pressure retract was engaged since fluid came out the bottom of the jack. Fixed that lower seal and the issue went away.

The second time it was an internal seal leaking on the Passenger-Side front jack. I diagnosed it by doing what you suggested, except I just removed the cross-over hose between the two front jacks and connected the return line to the other jack.

In short, for those who don't have this system, the retract pressure comes off a "T" at the pump manifold, routes up to one jack that has two fittings at the bottom, enters one of those fittings and out the other, then routes over to the bottom fitting on the other side. The return flow is through the top 'extend' fittings which pressurize the 'down' force. For the rear, it's a similar setup: two fittings on one jack and one on the other with a hose loop (very short) connecting the two.

The second time, it was a leak on the internal 'ram' of the Passenger side Front Jack. It was a 'small' leak which was enough to prevent getting to 2500psi, but because it was so small the pump was working hard trying to get to the cutoff pressure. In fact, it pulls almost 3x the amperage trying to pressurize against a small leak, which sets off the circuit breaker. If you don't have a C/B installed, it will burn out the motor (ask me how I know).

When I had that front pass/side internal leak, I did the same...disconnected the harness after retract; connected it back up to level on the jacks. It worked well. And yes, I replaced the pressure sensor, too. Didn't know nor think to just disconnect the plug to it. I thought it was a normally open circuit and CLOSED when pressure got to 2500psi. It sounds like it is normally closed and opens when you get to 2500psi. That matches the disconnect--> silences the alarm. I replaced the seals in that jack and the problem went away.

Last April, I had a blow-out and departed the highway. Fortunately, there was only damage to the front/lower cap (fiberglass) and some other cosmetic issues, a ball-joint issue (found later), and a jack-pad bent on the Driver-side front. I suspect that impact/jolt damaged the internal ram on that side. The same Jacks Down issue started again. I took it to Lazy Days last May 3rd, 2021. They said they fixed EVERYTHING except the alignment when I picked it up in July. Still, upon departure, I found that the Jacks Down issue was still there. I brought it back for the alignment (when they found the ball joint issue) and to have the jacks down (and some other stuff) fixed. I'm now stuck here...in January...because even though they said they fixed everything, they somehow made it absolutely worse. Not only is there still the jacks down, the air ride now will not inflate.

The techs working on my coach both times at Lazy Days Tampa NEVER considered an internal leak, even though I gave them this exact description. The non-English speaking tech chose to mess with the harness (they billed for a new one, by the way; but didn't change it) and he did other things neither documented nor communicated to the customer rep (the lead tech translates for him). The language barrier might explain why he never followed up on what I'd sent in May, seven months ago. I am now stuck here since his 'fix' preventing the air ride system from inflating makes driving the coach untenable. When the jacks retract, the air ride starts to inflate until the pressure warning kicks in, and the air bag deflate solenoid dumps air pressure. Oh...whatever he did also silences the jacks down alarm audible alarm, and the emergency retract mode. In short...whatever he did, he screwed up the system. There are two other technicians trying to resolve what he did.

So...Gord...did you ever resolve your issue? Never saw a resolution posted. I will update this thread on what they (hopefully) find. At least Bryan, the current tech, speaks English and is aware that an internal leak will cause the exact symptoms I had. BTW...he's not too pleased with the other techs.
f15epilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Tags
jacks, lippert