Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2020, 10:27 AM   #1

? for you woodworkers/carpenters

House batteries are under the steps. I want to hinge the tread so I dont have to fiddle with the bolts when I check the batteries.

What is the name/type of hinge I need so I can keep the back side of the tread flush with the riser it is up against? I'd like to have the hinges hidden if possible. Just don't know what type of hinges will get this done and not look like the amateur that I really am.

Thanks

Jim58
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2020, 10:59 AM   #2

Piano hinge used for thst application often.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 11:13 AM   #3

Do an on-line search for woodworking catalogues. One place to start is https://www.catalogmonster.com/free-...equest/page/2/

There's thousands of hinges out there and these type catalogues are a good place to find exactly what you're looking for.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 01:20 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I would also use a piano hinge. You can countersink it the depth (thickness) of the hinge to keep the step tight against the back wall. The edge of the hinge will still need to be visible for the step to be able to lift. Buy one longer than the step and cut it to fit.

I'm sure there are some real exotic hinges that would work, but the piano hinge will be hardly noticeable and simple to install.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 02:05 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Also you can get piano hinges in stainless steel.
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 04:55 PM   #6

Piano is the way to go. Stainless is the way to go. Be sure to use stainless screws. I bought a large quantity of stainless piano hinges and they came with screws. Installed them on a number of jobs and never tested the screws. Well I got a number of call backs to the jobs months or a year later. Woodworkers Hardware out of Minn. is good source.
gmc70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 05:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim58 View Post
House batteries are under the steps. I want to hinge the tread so I dont have to fiddle with the bolts when I check the batteries.

What is the name/type of hinge I need so I can keep the back side of the tread flush with the riser it is up against? I'd like to have the hinges hidden if possible. Just don't know what type of hinges will get this done and not look like the amateur that I really am.

Thanks

Jim58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
Piano hinge used for that application often.

My RV has a storage compartment in that location. The previous owner put in "Squeeze-Release Quick-Disconnect Hinges with Holes" - look here, fifth panel down... the cover stays in place, can be hinged up for normal access, but can be removed quickly for full access:
https://www.mcmaster.com/detachable-...ck-disconnect/

Mike
Old 04-18-2020, 10:38 AM   #8

Thanks. I think I can manage the piano hinge easy enough. The carpet might even hide the little that would normally show.

Jim58
Old 04-18-2020, 11:13 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim58 View Post
Thanks. I think I can manage the piano hinge easy enough. The carpet might even hide the little that would normally show.

Jim58
at.
If you want to hide the hinge many installations will include a strip of material or vinyl that covers the exposed pivot point and is captured under the "leaves" of the hinge and screws simply penetrate through it.
All that shows is then a narrow strip of (color coordinate) vinyl vs a shiney metal hinge
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote