Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2006, 06:45 AM   #1

I am changing out tranny fluid to synthetic. Before draining the pan I checked fluid level and it was OK. The pan drained out less than 8 quarts based on a measuring bucket I used. I haven't drained the torque converter yet but have read it will drain less than 2 quarts. My manual indicates the capacity is 16 1/2 quarts.
Am I missing a procedure or will the cooler and lines account for over half of the stated capacity?
I have copied the thread titled "Transmission Service on 2001 F53 V10" and using this as a quide.
Assistance on my question is needed. Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2006, 06:45 AM   #2

I am changing out tranny fluid to synthetic. Before draining the pan I checked fluid level and it was OK. The pan drained out less than 8 quarts based on a measuring bucket I used. I haven't drained the torque converter yet but have read it will drain less than 2 quarts. My manual indicates the capacity is 16 1/2 quarts.
Am I missing a procedure or will the cooler and lines account for over half of the stated capacity?
I have copied the thread titled "Transmission Service on 2001 F53 V10" and using this as a quide.
Assistance on my question is needed. Thanks.
Old 04-05-2006, 08:14 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
They do double drains for the Allison trans all the time when changing over to synthetic just make sure the dip stick is reading proper level after you run trans thru the gears.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 09:05 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The rest of the oil is in the torque converter. In Ford's great wisdom, they saves a quarter on every 4R100 tranny and removed the drain plug from the torque converter.

You will need to install the pan and refill (actually add about 2 extra quarts at this time)with your new fluid. Disconnect the tranny line at the cooler in the radiator and connect it to a hose in your drain tank. Start the engine and let the oil run out until you collect about 4 or 5 quarts. Stop the engine and refill and add an extra quart and let it go for another few quarts. Keep doing this until you get the old oil pushed out and the new oil shows up in the drain. Shut down, reconnect the oil line and start and run through the gears and warm it up. check the oil level and add or remove as required to get it to the right level.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 05:05 AM   #5
Ned

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TXiceman:
The rest of the oil is in the torque converter. In Ford's great wisdom, they save a quarter on every 4R100 tranny and removed the drain plug from the torque converter.
Ken </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe there is a drain plug for the converter. I have pictures from a post that I saved from several years ago. There's a black rubber plug on the tranny housing. Remove the rubber plug and spin the engine (bump the starter, or some other method) until you can see the drain plug lined up in the hole where the black rubber plug was. Then you can drain the converter too.
Of course, there are other methods as well, such as the one you described. If someone wants, I'll try to post the pictures. I believe the original poster's pics are no longer hosted or available...but the post should be there...back in '01 or '02 I think.
Old 04-17-2006, 05:21 AM   #6
Ned

I found the post, it was by Joe-K back in '01. The link to the pictures within the original post doesn't work, but I have them saved on my PC.

Here's the link to the orginal post.

http://irv2.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7486073452/m/2796010852/p/1
Old 04-17-2006, 06:28 AM   #7

On the 2000 and 01 trans there is a TQ drain lug. After 02 the plug was not there.
My '00 has a drain plug and I did change over to synthetic at 50K and I got 16 qts out. At 100k all I did was drain the pan and added 8 qts of fresh synthetic.
Chet
Old 04-18-2006, 12:02 PM   #8
Ned

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CyberVet65:
My '00 has a drain plug and I did change over to synthetic at 50K and I got 16 qts out. Chet </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did you do the 50k changeout yourself, or take it somewhere to be done?
Old 04-18-2006, 12:13 PM   #9

Here is a link at the ford dieselsite that is very detailed about changing the fluid on the auto transmission.
http://www.thedieselstop.com/faq/199...ance-AutoT.htm