Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2007, 08:26 PM   #15

I tried the Helwig site and couldn't find anything spring-wise for a F-53. I called Helwig tech support learned they only go up to f-450 on the springs and air bags.

I'm going to call Firestone for air springs tomorrow and see what they say. Report forthcoming.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2007, 03:07 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry - I didn't read far enough to see they only go to the E450 11-spring stack. No F53 helpers at all.

What air spring was CW selling - the Firestone? There may be other sources. Here's one place to try:
Stengel Bros Suspension
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 03:44 AM   #17

I installed the Firestone Ride-Rites on my 2005 Damon with F53 chassis and they work great. The only thing I did was use different holes than the instructions showed using to make the top bracket closer to being parallel with the leaf spring.

Good Luck, Tom K.
tokruys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 06:23 AM   #18

Update::::YES!!
RVROAMER: CW only sold Airlift.

I checked the Firestone web site and they list a set for the 04 F-53. Their instructions state no tire removal or jacking is required so all I'd have to do is drill 2 holes each side for the install. Also, the're about $90 cheaper than the Airlifts.

Crawling under my MH (on wet gravel) I found 10" clearance between the tire and frame--more than enough for Firestone's stated 8" clearance minimum to fit.

I'm going to call them on Monday and quiz Firestone tech support about any unforseen glitches I may run into being an amateur installation.

I do believe I'm on the right track now armed with TOKRUYS' inspirational post. Tokruys, how hard was it to drill the holes through the frame? Did you have to move any electric wires or brake lines from the back side of the frame?

With all your help, this may have very well gone from the CW price of $550 installed to $295 with my own tools. That's right up my alley since I more readily part with labor than money.

Updates will follow as this progresses.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:10 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
When I installed mine, without removing tires, you just had to tie up some wiring for drilling thru side rail. In order to drill from inside out made a pattern of holes existing and where two new ones will be added so could mark with punch on inside frame rail. I jacked up coach and added stationary jacks under frame to gain room under coach when drilling than dropped frame down after installing brakets to place in air-bags.
I installed bags all around and added air compressor in one of the rear compartments with controls valves tubing and control gages.
If your just putting in bags tubing can go to fender wall or out back near number plate.
Like I said before the angle iron in wheel well had to be removed and cut to remount after braket was installed. You may not have this problem. Could not mount braket with angle iron in place because braket would not set horizontal for bag support.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 08:15 AM   #20

I did it!!
I found a local place in Wooster, Ohio called Radical Designs who would order and install Firestone air bags for $375. That comes to only $80 labor for a 2.5 hour installation. Camping World and all the RV dealers want close to $100 an hour for the same thing. Of course this place didn't have 7 20 ton lifts like the dealers, just one mh bay with floor jacks.

Anyhow, I had them do it and it went glitch free especially with my pivoting wheel wells that gave them access w/o taking the wheels off. I've got 30# in them which gave me a 2" lift and it rides a little firmer and doesn't pitch nearly as much side to side when exiting an uneven driveway. I'm pleased and it was well worth the money and research. I hope this thread helps someone else looking for a lift.

Thanks to all for your input.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:49 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Good for you expo just check paper work for bags my Air- Lifts wanted a mim of 50#'s so they would not bottom out on frame of mounts so as not to cut bag.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote