Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2007, 07:31 PM   #1

hey we have a 1992 lexington with a 454 and are
about to upgrade to a new hurricane i want the 8.1 vortec but the dealer wants to sell us a ford v 10 i need some input from someone who has had both
thanks

toad:2007 honda crv
larry penner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2007, 07:31 PM   #2

about to upgrade to a new hurricane i want the 8.1 vortec but the dealer wants to sell us a ford v 10 i need some input from someone who has had both
thanks

Old 10-19-2007, 07:57 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I don't care much for what other people want me to have. Both are good products, but what is it that you said you wanted again!

Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 01:14 AM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by larry penner:
thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I went from the Chevy (454) to the Ford (V10) even though I thought I wanted the Workhorse (8.1) and I have to admit that the Ford is just fine. When you factor in the thousands of dollars you should be saving by getting the Ford it gets even better. You can even leverage this into the deal for a better break on settling for the Ford instead of your first choice.

Look at the specs and drive both. Afterward if you feel that there is some attribute of either that justifies it then go with your choice. Neither is perfect and they both will have their pluses and minuses along with the occasional lemon.
Old 10-20-2007, 03:00 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I like the alison trans that comes with the 8.1 much more than the ford trans. Besides what did you say you wanted?
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 04:18 AM   #6

thanks i know what i want

Old 10-20-2007, 04:20 AM   #7
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">but the dealer wants to sell us a ford v 10 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmmm, I have a hunch he doesn't have a Workhorse (8.1 Vortec) in stock, maybe he's just interested in selling you what he has. Each chassis has it's own individual advantages and disadvantages, after doing your research buy the one you want.
Old 10-20-2007, 07:47 AM   #8

I have a 07 34n Hurricane and I always like chevy but the deal was good on the ford. We went to KY and upstate NY in the mountains and it took the mountains good and I was pulling a car. I must say that this is a year old now we got it last Aug and the fuel pump went but other then that we had good experience with it.
Jim
JIM Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 08:45 AM   #9
doc

Appalachian Campers
I agree with Richard - not one in stock. Or...he gets a bigger holdback check for selling the Ford.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 08:46 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This is my second MH with the 8.1V and the Allison transmission. I have not driven any of the Ford products so I can't honestly compare them. I am very pleased with the 8.1V and Allison combination and would not hesitate to buy again. But then again, I am biased as I prefer Chevrolet products.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 03:02 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We had a 99 Ford chassis rig. That engine was rated at 275 hp. It rode and handled much better than our current Workhorse chassis. Still Drive the same routes, and the WH does not do the hills on I40 any better. The Ford had much better downhill engine braking. The Ford transmission actually worked better in that I never got a false failure reading with it. Cheaper, more CCC. If my next one isn't diesel it will be Ford.

Glenn
Old 10-21-2007, 03:29 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Regardless of what every one tells you about which might be better Ford or Chevy, in the end it's all going to depend on what you can afford and what you like in the floorplan.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 05:09 PM   #13

hey all out there in rv land we just bought the 08 hurricane 32e workhorse thanks for the input see you on the road, next stop gulf of mexico in feb