Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2020, 12:17 PM   #1

Fresh water tank fill options when traveling

All,

We are contemplating taking our Fleetwood motor home to Orlando Florida this December for an annual event at the convention center.
in all years past we have driven down and stayed at a hotel but this year may need to be different for several reasons.I just emptied all tanks from our last journey this past weekend and blew out all the lines for winterizing. I did not put antifreeze in the lines as I usually do (Columbus Oh) because I am unsure if I will be getting it out in December yet.
My question is, since I will be leaving Columbus in potentially freezing temperatures but I will be driving south is there somewhere I can put 50 gallons of fresh water in my tank? I will be driving I77 for my route.
Agility57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2020, 12:23 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Yes, any Flying J has a RV Island and has water fill available.
US Navy - Vietnam Swiftboat Vet - PCF 102, PCF-62
Steve43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 12:32 PM   #3

Download the Pilot/Flying J phone App.

Sign in as a RV owner and you can plan a trip. Once planned, it will show all Pilots and Flying J stations or only RV friendly ones.

The RV Friendly stops typically have water, dump sites, and propane, over with the RV fuel islands.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 12:58 PM   #4

some RV parks will be open when you get far enough south. when we leave suburban chicago in january that's usually Memphis. or the aforementioned Flying J truck stops.
Old 10-09-2020, 03:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Download the Pilot/Flying J phone App.

Sign in as a RV owner and you can plan a trip. Once planned, it will show all Pilots and Flying J stations or only RV friendly ones.

The RV Friendly stops typically have water, dump sites, and propane, over with the RV fuel islands.
That’s great, I did not know Flying J Had that option. I already have their discount card but not their app on my phone.

Thanks!
Agility57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 08:06 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
You can just fill up at home before you leave. With the coach heated by the furnace your tanks will be fine.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 09:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Ed View Post
You can just fill up at home before you leave. With the coach heated by the furnace your tanks will be fine.
I fill the fresh water tank and WH, then leave the LP furnace on 55° the night prior departure.
If winterized, i plan a stop in TN or AL or GA at an RV park to de-winterize and fill fresh tank.
Also, if daytime highs reach 50° and nighttime lows stay above 27° RV plumbing will not freeze, due to residual heat in the RV.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 02:52 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I'd put at least 20 gallons in the tank before leaving home, for emergency use if no other reason. December temperature aren't that bad yet and your coach will be heated, right? Plus you will be 250-300 miles south of Columbus for your first stop.

Fill the tank when you reach an area with open campgrounds.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, tank, travel, water