Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2022, 10:22 PM   #1

Fresh water tank mysteriously filled while plumbed to city water fill???

Here’s a weird one for you:

We’ve been parked at the same location for 2 weeks now. The water hose is hooked to the “City Water Fill” input.

Tonight I could hear running water outside and I found that my fresh water tank was overflowing. I checked and sure enough my fresh water tank is randomly full which is weird because I have no water going in to the “Fresh Water Tank Fill” input.

I’m not familiar with the inner workings of our rigs plumbing but How is this possible?
CL1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2022, 11:01 PM   #2

Water pumps have an internal check valve. When they leak, they can fill the n fresh water tank
Old 02-04-2022, 11:06 PM   #3

BD nailed it. After having this problem and too high of city water pressure and a failed pressure reducer and a frozen hose, I gave up on city water. I now simply fill the fresh tank from the city water and use the pump. This does mean keeping an eye on the fresh tank level, of course, especially if the DW is about to take a shower.
hclarkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 11:07 PM   #4

Interesting so you’re saying we have a leak in the water pump? we just had a brand new water pump installed less than a month ago
Old 02-04-2022, 11:26 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Does your city water connection inlet have a three-way valve that allows you to fill the tank while on city water? This is fairly common feature. If so these valves can set at some intermediate position that would allow filling the tank while getting normal water flow inside from the city water connection.

Some RVs have an remote controlled electronic valve (solenoid valve) to provide this feature opposed to a three-way valve. Our 5th wheeler has a solenoid valve while the MH has a three-way valve. Same result just different operation.

I agree with above post in cold weather to just fill the water tank and use the pump for water needs. Remove the water hose at both ends and drain it so you use it again after freezing weather.

It would be unusual for a new pump to fail with a blow check valve. But failures occur according to a bell shaped curve and a very premature failure is possible. Reason for warranties.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 07:23 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL1981 View Post
Interesting so you’re saying we have a leak in the water pump? we just had a brand new water pump installed less than a month ago

The water pump check valve is by far the most common cause. It can also be a bad fresh water fill valve which in many coaches can be a PITA to replace.

Disconnect the inlet to the pump(which is something you do to winterize) and turn on the city water. If water comes out the Inlet then you know that it's a check valve problem.
dssl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 10:03 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Even though the pump is new a tiny piece of debris (pipe plastic, thread sealant, etc) is all it takes to hold the check valve open.
I had the same problem with my tank filling while on city water. Turns out my three way valve was bypassing to the tank.
lazybyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 10:11 AM   #8

My coach has a valve where I can turn it to fill the tank or just supply water. I've seen others that have the same valve AND a separate fill port for the water tank. Mine had seal issue with the valve and filled my tank overnight once.
But since someone has recently been working on the pump I'm with the others and that would be the first place I'd look.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 10:23 AM   #9

Awesome thanks for the advice everyone!
Old 02-05-2022, 10:26 AM   #10
Community Moderator

On our 5th wheel, the Anderson Valve was leaking by allowing the fresh tank to fill. If you have an Aderson Valve it could be leaking by.
If you have an Anderson Valve, turn your water off, relieve the pressure, rotate the Anderson Valve slowly a couple of times, it may stop the leaking by.

It worked on our Anderson Valve for a couple of months, then it needed replaced.

https://www.abcorv.com/
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 11:11 AM   #11

How do you fill your fresh water tank?
'Fill' Valve/Switch using City Water Connection
OR
Gravity Fill Port

Fill Valve.....could be source of leak filing fresh water tank
Pump Internal check valve (diaphragm) not fully closing so city water is backflowing thru pump filling fresh water tank

Use the pump ---run water thru it....can help clear the diaphragm
**W/O city water connected and pump on but no demand (faucets off etc) and then you hear pump short cycle every once in a while...Pump Check Valve is not closing off
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 01:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bduemig View Post
Water pumps have an internal check valve. When they leak, they can fill the n fresh water tank
Depending on the make of RV you have, you may well also have a check valve in your city water connection that is stuck open. Been there and done that. Often, you can reset the valve by inserting a small, stiff rod and press the check valve.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 09:57 AM   #13

Change valve to pump.Run off the pump with few faucets open for max flow and then use tank up. Fill fresh tank a bit with hose again on purpose. If it's small bit of debris in a check valve, it may wash out or reseat ....worth a shot anyway.
Also if check on pump is leaking back ,it will cycle and zero you in. Keep hose disconnected and we if water come out of hose connection from pump.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 10:05 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDesert View Post
Depending on the make of RV you have, you may well also have a check valve in your city water connection that is stuck open. Been there and done that. Often, you can reset the valve by inserting a small, stiff rod and press the check valve.

All city water connections have internal check valve
They prevent backflow from RV System into City Water System
*Stop backflow when using pump
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, led, tank, water