Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2008, 10:26 AM   #1
HPH

Monaco Owners Club
How often does everybody sanitize their freshwater tank? And how do you do it? I know what the manual says but I'm looking for real world info.Thanks
HPH

2004 Z71 Tahoe
HPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2008, 10:26 AM   #2
HPH

Monaco Owners Club
How often does everybody sanitize their freshwater tank? And how do you do it? I know what the manual says but I'm looking for real world info.Thanks
HPH

2004 Z71 Tahoe
Old 07-05-2008, 11:17 AM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
We have been fulltiming for 3 years and have not sanitized the fresh water tank since before that time. We use it regularly to ensure the water doesn't go stale, and we use only a sediment filter at the water inlet as we want chlorine in the fresh water tank. (we use a drinking water filter under the galley sink for drinking and ice maker).

When we were using our coach only part-time, I would sanitize the fresh water tank once a year, normally in the Spring when de-winterizing the rig. I have my sanitizing checklist on my website at http://www.pjrider.com/RVChecklists.htm.

The checklist provides info for using either chlorine bleach or sodium dichlor, but the only thing I have ever used is sodium dichlor (the same stuff I used for chlorinating the water in our hot tub when we had a stick house).
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 02:17 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
hph: there are 2 formulas for the amount of bleach to add to sanitize freshwater tanks. it depends on how long you want to let the mix sit. i mix 20 oz of bleach with 1 gal water and add it to my 80 gallon tank and let it sit at least 2 hours. i then drain, refill tank, drain again and refill tank. some folks use a baking soda solution in the first rinse. turn off any water dispenser filters and the water heater before chlorination. i run all the faucets some during chlorination to treat the water lines, and during the rinse. i do this annually.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 12:45 PM   #5
HPH

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the reply guys.

2004 Z71 Tahoe