Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2016, 03:24 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Friday the 13th, Good or Bad

Heading back home from a great trip to Disney World, when A UPS semi driver comes up besides us and starts pointing at the back of the MH. Pull off the interstate and find the passenger side outside dually flat, and smoking hot.

Luckily there is a exit within sight, so we limp to it and pull in a gas station. Just so happens a guy from a tire shop is there getting a drink. He calls his manager and after a few minutes find out the quickest he can get me a tire is Tuesday. Oh boy, that's not what we wanted to here. Call a local RV dealership and they give me the number to their tire guy. He has 16 so we hope to be on the road in about an hour, been 3 hours so far. While waiting, crawled under the MH to see if I could find the problem. Quite the easy find, looks like we hit something and it tore a big gash out of the sidewall.

Bad - Flat tire, can't get one for 4 days.

Good - close to exit, no damage to MH, found someone who can fix it today, wasn't on the front tire.

Gonna keep positive, and go with the good.
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2016, 03:29 PM   #2
Community Administrator

P.M.A - positive mental attitude is what I try to practice. I'm not always successful but I have a good average. You could've been as upset as you wanted to be , however it would not have changed a thing other than your PMA . Glad your safe and the damage was limited to the tire.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 04:52 PM   #3

I would say even though you had the inconvenience of having a flat tire, today was your lucky day, I would call that a good day. Good luck I hope they get it fixed quick.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 05:11 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My one and only flat happened Friday 13 April 2012. I'm not camping this weekend. Went last week and have reservation next.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 05:51 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well the tire guy did a great job, showed up on time and was quick. So, we decided to find a campground close by and found one with outstanding reviews. Think the reviewers were drinking. We can't even get the MH close to being leveled as the sites aren't anywhere near resembling level. Worst I have ever seen.

Mainly "full timers" with units that looks like they are going to fall apart any minute. Makes me appreciate how blessed we are.

Talked to my tire guy, and when we get home he is going to move the new tire to the front and put on another new one up front as well. I'll have 2 new steer tires, and the backs will have pretty much the same tread wear. He is also going to check all the other tires to make sure there is no other damage. Did I mention we were the first vehicle behind a semi that had a blowout? Found chunks of tire on our toad.

Good day indeed. Come on Saturday the 14th.
Old 05-13-2016, 06:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian W View Post
Well the tire guy did a great job, showed up on time and was quick. So, we decided to find a campground close by and found one with outstanding reviews. Think the reviewers were drinking. We can't even get the MH close to being leveled as the sites aren't anywhere near resembling level. Worst I have ever seen.

Mainly "full timers" with units that looks like they are going to fall apart any minute. Makes me appreciate how blessed we are.

Talked to my tire guy, and when we get home he is going to move the new tire to the front and put on another new one up front as well. I'll have 2 new steer tires, and the backs will have pretty much the same tread wear. He is also going to check all the other tires to make sure there is no other damage. Did I mention we were the first vehicle behind a semi that had a blowout? Found chunks of tire on our toad.

Good day indeed. Come on Saturday the 14th.
Glad everything turned out okay. Be safe!!
leesdx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 07:03 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Nothing to do with your post but I was discharged from the USMC on Friday the 13th over 50 years ago. I've celebrated Friday the 13th as a lucky day in any month that has a Friday 13 and hope to do so for several more years. (kind of sounds like I'm negative about the USMC but I'm not). Marines that were in the USMC on that Saturday the 14th were extended by LBJ for six months and sent to exotic Asian overseas locations.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 07:51 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
Nothing to do with your post but I was discharged from the USMC on Friday the 13th over 50 years ago. I've celebrated Friday the 13th as a lucky day in any month that has a Friday 13 and hope to do so for several more years. (kind of sounds like I'm negative about the USMC but I'm not). Marines that were in the USMC on that Saturday the 14th were extended by LBJ for six months and sent to exotic Asian overseas locations.

Ha Ha, I retired from the Coast Guard on Friday, the 13th of April in 2012 after almost 26 years. I picked that date as my last day because I thought it would be funny.
Old 05-13-2016, 08:52 PM   #9

Had a flat tire on the duals one time due to a valve stem leak. A trucker motioned to me to turn on my cb radio and informed me I had a flat on the rear. I had no idea. I now see how important a tpms is on a coach. I bought a tst system and feel it to be one of the most important tools to have on the road.
Lucky just a valve stem. New valve stem and tire was not damaged
gateaux01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 09:05 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Luckily you didn't do any damage to your coach, or worse get hurt.

Check out the TPMS.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 09:35 PM   #11

Glad things turned out okay!

Does your coach not have a spare?? We're new to the MH world and even though we have road-side assistance I'm glad we have a spare to put on or have put on instead of hoping a nearby tire shop has one!!!

2010 Winnebago Aspect 28B
RogerRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 09:45 PM   #12

[QUOTE=gateaux01;3067048]Had a flat tire on the duals one time due to a valve stem leak. A trucker motioned to me to turn on my cb radio and informed me I had a flat on the rear. I had no idea. I now see how important a tpms is on a coach. I bought a tst system and feel it to be one of the most important tools to have on the road.
Lucky just a valve stem. New valve stem and tire was not damaged[/QUOTE
Running on a flat tire caused no damage to the tire or adjacent tire? I don't think so. You got away lucky.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 10:04 PM   #13

Friday the thirteenth, no problems .

Now Wednesday the eleventh , has been a bad day for me , started 45 years ago with my first speeding ticket and has gone downhill ever since.

The rub is ; for every Friday the thirteenth , I have to get through a Wednesday the eleventh.
Old 05-14-2016, 08:58 AM   #14
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
This Friday the 13th stuff is a lot of hogwash! I didn't get up yesterday because I was tired!

OK, I'm not superstitious, I just don't want to take any chances!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote