Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2012, 07:53 PM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSkyBob
How do you get by without using the inverter when hooked to shore power? If I pull both of the breakers on my Magnum inverter I lose all 115VAC in the coach. If I turn off the inverter at the remote EMS panel same thing happens.
I guess it all depends on how the coach manufacturer wired it. My microwave & entertainment center doesn't work, but I still have power to my EMS, the fridge, four of my outlets and all of my 12V lighting.

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2012, 08:51 PM   #30

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Craig hang onto that Xantrex.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:04 AM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
UPDATE:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragingbull View Post
Craig hang onto that Xantrex.
I wish I had!

I decided to have my new Magnum inverter/charger professionally installed. I'm glad I did now. Allow me to explain.

I am currently sitting at the RV repair center that I use. The tech pulled my Xantrex out and began to install the Magnum MS-2012, when he asked me if I had a separate breaker sub panel in the coach. I wasn't sure what he was talking about, so I showed him the only breaker panel that I have. I do not have a sub panel, which is a problem. Here's why.....my Xantrex Freedom 458 had it's own 15 and 20 amp breakers. The Magnum that I purchased does not. I called Magnum tech support and asked why my MS-2012 does not have breakers. I was told that some models do and some don't. He said I needed to specify this when ordering. This infuriates me....I spoke to Magnum tech support BEFORE I ordered my unit from an online dealer. I told the tech exactly what I was replacing, a Xantrex Freedom 458. They made no mention that I might need a unit with breakers. They guy I initially spoke with did tell me that he use to work for Xantrex, so you would think he would have had the knowledge to ask me about the breakers when I inquired.

Now the repair shop is going to have to install a separate sub panel, of course at the rate of $125 an hour. I'm sorry, but this in inexcusable. Magnum should have done their job and made sure I got the right inverter/charger. The statement that their tech support is the best in the business is a load. To make matters worse for consumers like me who don't know any better, NONE of the online dealers I browsed listed more than one model of the MS-2012, or advised about the possibility of needing a model with internal breakers.

My RV tech said I should have stayed with a Xantrex. He admitted they are not built as well as a Magnum, but said they are just fine and they offer more bang for the buck.

As you can tell, I'm beyond upset right now. I'm typing this with my iPad while I sit in the repair shop waiting room.

Thanks for letting me vent....

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote