Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2019, 08:27 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Front A/C fan making a heck of a sound

So today with all the ac’s running I suddenly hear a God awful sound from the front AC unit. Sounds like the fan was hitting debris with every turn. I shut off the unit, thinking that maybe it froze up and the fan was hitting ice. Not the case.

I haven’t had the chance to get on the roof but thought I would ask what I may be looking at. The unit has a full cover so I don't think there is debris in there. My first guess is that the fan blade has come loose.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Any thoughts before I get on the roof?
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2019, 08:58 PM   #2

Mud dauber nest on the fan? I hate those things...
Old 08-15-2019, 09:28 PM   #3

yup. same thing happened to us a few months back to our coleman mach 8. started making a heck of a racket. shut it down and got on the roof. took the cover off and saw that the fan blade was tilted to one side.

after careful examination the cause was two broken motor/compressor isolators. the triangle shaped mounting bracket for the compressor motor is separated from the bottom of the AC chassis by three dime sized rubber isolators. two broke causing the fan blade to tilt and scrape against other parts. this happened on a friday and by the time i determined what was wrong Coleman was closed and would not re-open till Monday. i was able to locate a pair of these isolators at an nearby RV salvage yard and once replaced we were back in business. i bought 2-spare packs of these isolator (3 to a pack) and have them in my spare parts bin.

i have attached a link to the parts list and schematic for OUR air conditioner. i am assuming that whatever AC you have is at least similar to ours but it will give you an idea to which part i am referring. the part in question is #9 on the list. this may not be your problem but if it is i hope this helps.

https://www.airxcel.com/DesktopModul.../r601d_315.pdf
Old 08-16-2019, 07:01 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Mine started to act up and get louder. One problem was the motor was almost froze up, ended up changing. But in the process of checking it out I found that the fan blade would actually hit the metal shroud in a couple places. The new motor came with new rubber mounting pads, the old ones were essentially wore out letting the motor squat letting the fan blade hit metal.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 07:42 AM   #5

Don't forget to check the fan blade. Our 2015 had a Coleman & plastic fan blade had developed a hair-line crack which caused noise issue. Thankfully it did not get worse & launch itself off. We'd contacted Coleman & they ended up sending us 2 new fan blades. If I remember correctly the part number ended in "D" while original blade was either "A" or "B". Apparently there were issues & a close inspection of old vs new blade did show structural improvements on the blade.
FlaCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 10:55 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks to everyone for replying to my question. Going to get on the roof this weekend with a bucket of tools and see what I find. Sounds like a minor ($) repair and I hope thats true.

Have a great weekend.
Old 08-16-2019, 01:39 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
If the noise is present when you have only the fan turned on, then it's probably the squirrel cage blower coming apart. Those have been known to fail. Once you have the top shroud off, you can remove the inner shroud to check the blower.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 06:26 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks Lt Dan. Funny you suggest that. I thought the same thing earlier today and turned on fan only and immediately the sound was there.
Old 08-17-2019, 01:55 PM   #9

That's what happened to mine - on a Sunday am (of course) so couldn't even order a new one until next day. Sure made a terrible racket but no damage to shroud, only the blower wheel.Click image for larger version

Name:	20190817_144809-COLLAGE.jpeg
Views:	68
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	257181
Rmedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 05:16 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmedad View Post
That's what happened to mine - on a Sunday am (of course) so couldn't even order a new one until next day. Sure made a terrible racket but no damage to shroud, only the blower wheel.Attachment 257181
Thanks for the reply. How was the repair?
Old 08-17-2019, 08:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandss View Post
Thanks for the reply. How was the repair?
Was not difficult. Pulled off the outer shroud, then the evaporator cover, and the blower wheel only has one nut holding it on the the shaft. You can see the parts in the link noted above. I bought a spare and of course have not needed it for last 2+ years...[emoji846]
Old 08-18-2019, 08:04 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Or,It could be one of these guys. They seem to fail on the hottest day of the year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1014.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	259.5 KB
ID:	257250  
Props2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 09:45 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for all of the responses. It was the slightest of cracks in the blower wheel. Appreciate all of the help.
Old 08-18-2019, 02:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Props2 View Post
Or,It could be one of these guys. They seem to fail on the hottest day of the year.
Possibly, but i think that condensor fan only comes on when in cool mode w compressor running, and he said he could hear the noise when he ran it in fan only mode, which just runs the blower.

And yep - any AC problems occur late Saturday or early Sunday, only when blazing hot, and just before you were scheduled to depart your current location! [emoji849]

Tags
fan