Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2016, 06:53 PM   #1

Front & Rear Cap Polishing

As you can guess, they are both dull and flat. I was working in the house and using some Gel Gloss, and had the idea. So I went down and did a small spot on the front and rear. The fiberglass actually started to look good again. So my question is.....Is there something similar/better that I could polish these with? If I can bring them back, then I'll hit them with a few coats of UV protectant polish. Bugs B Gone!!
B Dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2016, 10:01 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Dubya View Post
As you can guess, they are both dull and flat. I was working in the house and using some Gel Gloss, and had the idea. So I went down and did a small spot on the front and rear. The fiberglass actually started to look good again. So my question is.....Is there something similar/better that I could polish these with? If I can bring them back, then I'll hit them with a few coats of UV protectant polish. Bugs B Gone!!
B Dubya,
I'd need to see pics but, based on your description, you've simply got a bit of oxidation. Well, I've done my share of "rubbing out" paint jobs, motor homes, and a lot more. I don't know how handy you are but, through the use of an actual buffer, (not the cheapo ones that are $29.95) at Walmart or, your local auto parts store. Mine is a Dewalt professional model that's used in rubbing out complete paint jobs on cars.

But, if you were to borrow one or, purchase one or maybe even rent one, then get yourself some rubbing compound (liquid type), usually 3M or any maker will do. You do a small area at a time, about 2 square feet. You'll be AMAZED at what kind of results you'll see. You can turn those caps into a mirror with just a bit of practice.

Once they're all done, then a good coat of any automotive wax will work just fine. If you take a look at the pics below, that is my roof on our present coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT. That roof was seriously oxidised. 36' of rubbing out took me a couple of days but, as you can see, it was all worth it.
Scott

Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 10:14 PM   #3

S - I saw your roof in those pics. Showed them to my wife (since she's the one who's always up there), and we both thought that would be a slip and slide when washing the MH. Come on,,,,,,I bet bird poop rolls right off that roof!!!

PS. I have a Dewalt angle grinder/sander, I would just need to get the buffing attachment. Always worries me tho...........doesn't take much to go too far.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:43 PM   #4

Quote:

PS. I have a Dewalt angle grinder/sander, I would just need to get the buffing attachment. Always worries me tho...........doesn't take much to go too far.
Use a slow speed and a light touch.
Scatterbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 10:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatterbrain View Post
Use a slow speed and a light touch.
Agreed. It's variable speed, so I'll lock the trigger so it can only go so fast. I'm thinking very fine polishing compound, not just rubbing compound.

2nd question - can I remove the ladder in the rear, then just reattach with some silicon sealant around/in/under the screws? Or are they held on with fasteners on the backside of the cap. I can't imagine the latter is the case, but better to ask first!!!
Old 02-01-2016, 11:08 PM   #6

It may just be screwed into some bits of wood stuck to the backside of the cap. If you're going to take it off and then put it back on I'd use butyl tape under the mounts and seal the screws with silicone. Granted I'd just leave it off and plug the holes but that's just me.
Scatterbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 11:38 PM   #7

Stuff called REJEX. In a half hour you can have front and rear done and shining great stuff.
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 10:36 AM   #8

Quote:
S - I saw your roof in those pics. Showed them to my wife (since she's the one who's always up there), and we both thought that would be a slip and slide when washing the MH. Come on,,,,,,I bet bird poop rolls right off that roof!!!

Hey B Dubya,
Whoooooaa!! You may have the actual GRINDER/SANDER, not a buffing machine. I'd have to see a model number or picture. I think mine is very close or, maybe this exact one, I'd have to check the model number against this one:

Dewalt DWP849 7" 9" Electronic Variable Speed Polisher | eBay

Sorry for the long link. There's easier ways to link a link but, I just copied and pasted the address.

Now, if you DO have the right model, then you can use a wool or foam pad. But, again, rubbing compound will work flawlessly. And, while rubbing compound is aggressive, it's not that easy to "burn through" unless you're on a sharp edge or sharper radius where the buffing pad is concentrated on that curve or edge. Then you have to be careful.
Scott
Old 02-02-2016, 11:39 AM   #9

Rejex! Sounds like what my wife calls ME.

Yup, I have the grinder, but it IS variable speed. I might give it a whirl (Get it? A whirl? I'm killin' myself!!) I also have my wife's arms. Like Alton Brown says,,,I hate Uni-Taskers. It would be hard to get me to buy something that doesn't have at least 4 or 5 applications!
Old 02-02-2016, 01:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Rejex! Sounds like what my wife calls ME.

Yup, I have the grinder, but it IS variable speed. I might give it a whirl (Get it? A whirl? I'm killin' myself!!) I also have my wife's arms. Like Alton Brown says,,,I hate Uni-Taskers. It would be hard to get me to buy something that doesn't have at least 4 or 5 applications!
B Dubya,
Not sure what the lowest RPM your sander/grinder will go to but, the model I have ranges from about 1100 to about 1800 or so. I run it around 1400 for most of my work. I've done a bit at the 1700 range but, at that speed, it dries the compound too fast and, not only that but, it THROWS much of it all over the place.

If you watch some of the hot rod shows on Saturday, you'll see at the end of a hot rod completion, they rub out the paint and, it's a fairly slow RPM. Just something to think about.
Scott
Old 02-03-2016, 08:49 PM   #11

Gel Gloss was originally made to polish Gel Coat on fiberglass. Great stuff if the finish is not badly oxidized, when it is I use 3M boat hull rubbing compound, then follow with Gel Gloss.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote