Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2012, 05:40 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Front door lock question

I have a 2010 Four Winds Hurricane which I bought new. The front entrance door has a two-key lock system, one to lock the handle, and one to lock the dead bolt. Using both is optional, but we usually lock both when we leave the coach. Recently, when we returned to the coach, the key for the entrance handle would not work. I could unlock the dead bolt, but not the handle. We were locked out of the coach. I called a lock smith, but he told me over the phone that if my key wouldn't work, the only way he could help me was to destroy the lock by drilling it out. I tried the key several more times, even lubricating it as well as the lock by spraying it with WD-40. Nothing worked, so I drilled the lock out myself and finally got in the coach. Now I'd like to replace the lock, but I was told by Camper's World that I'd have to buy the whole entrance mechanism. I couldn't just buy the internal tumbler. The new entrance mechanism is $120.00 plus shipping, but I just want the left side handle lock. Does anyone know of a source where I can get one? Are there any other suggestions? Am I stuck with buying the whole thing? I'd appreciate any comments. Thanks. Komac
komac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2012, 06:39 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
I would try Ebay I've seen many door locks on there don't know what style you have but I just searched on there and seen all the door locks for MH,TT
Old 10-02-2012, 06:43 AM   #3

You might try taking the assembly off and taking it to a lock smith and see if he can do just the tumbler. If the damage is only to the cylinder you stand a good chance of getting it fixed.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:43 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
You probably can't get just the lock unless you contact the mfg. Here's a few links for the whole thing, much cheaper as I'm seeing it.

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/r...door-locks.htm

http://www.rvpartscenter.com/prodsel...&DID=50&CID=96

http://shop.mobileweb.ebay.com/searc...=rv+door+locks
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:31 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks, Clyon, for the website source. I found the exact entrance door lock I was looking for and ordered it from rvpartscenter.com about an hour ago for less than half the price I was quoted from a local dealer, and that includes shipping! I appreciate you and the others who gave me suggestions. This IRV2 website is a valuable resource for useful information. Thanks again. Komac
Old 10-04-2012, 06:11 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by komac View Post
I have a 2010 Four Winds Hurricane which I bought new. The front entrance door has a two-key lock system, one to lock the handle, and one to lock the dead bolt. Using both is optional, but we usually lock both when we leave the coach. Recently, when we returned to the coach, the key for the entrance handle would not work. I could unlock the dead bolt, but not the handle. We were locked out of the coach. I called a lock smith, but he told me over the phone that if my key wouldn't work, the only way he could help me was to destroy the lock by drilling it out. I tried the key several more times, even lubricating it as well as the lock by spraying it with WD-40. Nothing worked, so I drilled the lock out myself and finally got in the coach. Now I'd like to replace the lock, but I was told by Camper's World that I'd have to buy the whole entrance mechanism. I couldn't just buy the internal tumbler. The new entrance mechanism is $120.00 plus shipping, but I just want the left side handle lock. Does anyone know of a source where I can get one? Are there any other suggestions? Am I stuck with buying the whole thing? I'd appreciate any comments. Thanks. Komac
I would guess that you have a Trimark door lock. Look on the internet for Trimark replacement lock cylinders. Look first and see what your key says on it. The key should say Trimark and have some numbers and possibly letters. This will identify the manufacturer and then the key code.
Locksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:18 AM   #7

Happened to me on Trimark with Deadbolt. The striker bolt sheared internally. Had to destroy lock to get striker to retract after breaking in through window. Found online for around 75.00 and bought spare. Also put slot in door frame so I could slip tool into jamb and push striker bolt and release door. Also put two small holes in bottom of emergency window so I could use steel rod to unlatch the emergency window and gain entry.

Trimark lock is made of pot metal. Keep it well greased.
rosspam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:36 PM   #8

For a few, well, quite a few dollars more, you can get a TriMark lock with a steel bolt instead of the base metal one. After replacing two of the less costly ones that also broke internally, I can recommend the steel option. good luck, HarveyP

Cummins/Allison
HarveyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:30 AM   #9

Harvey, where did you get the steel version?
Old 10-17-2012, 05:39 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for the sugestions, Ross. The Trimark lock (at least the one in my coach) does seem to be a bit fragile and needs to be lubricated well. When I put my new one in, I used white grease under the cover plate to lesson the friction between the moving parts of the lock and the surface of the cover. That's a point of friction I would not have noticed had I not replaced the lock. It's a fairly easy maintenance point. Just take off the inside cover plate and you will see what I mean. Komac
Old 10-17-2012, 07:29 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You can call Tri-Mark direct and get what you need but you have to have the # off the Keys or the lock. I needed a key for mine and they sent me three keys and all I payed for was shipping.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:04 AM   #12

Here is the ordering information from TriMark to get the lock mechanism with a steel plunger as opposed to pot metal. You re-use the interior panel/handle.

Dear Sir,

* We do make the outside portion with a steel plunger. It is part number*13217-08.* They are $130.00 for the outside portion.* The inside portion is part number*12480-37*and they are $41.00 each.

You can order directly from us at*800-431-8616.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:02 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
That's good to know, Ross. I took my new Trimark keys to a lock smith for duplicates and was charged $7.00 a copy! I had tried earlier at a local hardware store that usually makes duplicates for me, but they did not have the blanks for Trimark. They are the ones who said I'd have to go to a lock smith. I did not know I could get them directly from Trimark. Thanks. Komac
Old 10-19-2012, 08:03 PM   #14

Rosspam nailed it. I also called TriMark directly. Top shelf customer service at that company. HarveyP

Cummins/Allison
HarveyP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door