Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2013, 05:11 AM   #29

Entegra Owners Club
For those fellow Texans, keeping the front plate in the windshield is not acceptable according to the DPS. I bought a plate mount on eBay and mounted it. It just didn't seem right to drill holes and just bolt the plate to the fiberglass which is what the dealer wanted to do since it's slightly curved.

For those wondering why you need a front plate, I always thought it was there so if the police were chasing you and lapped you they'd be able to see it ;-)
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2013, 11:10 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryO View Post
For those fellow Texans, keeping the front plate in the windshield is not acceptable according to the DPS. I bought a plate mount on eBay and mounted it. It just didn't seem right to drill holes and just bolt the plate to the fiberglass which is what the dealer wanted to do since it's slightly curved.
TerryO
How and where did you mount the "plate mount" so you could avoid drilling holes in the fiberglass?
Mel
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:28 PM   #31

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I got a front license plate bracket (below link). It's pricey, but looks fantastic. It's mounted underneath the rig's front end, so no drilling into the front of the RV...

Skene Design

Take a look at the gallery so you can see all the ways this can look...

go6car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:13 PM   #32

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by go6car View Post
I got a front license plate bracket (below link). It's pricey, but looks fantastic. It's mounted underneath the rig's front end, so no drilling into the front of the RV...

Skene Design

Mel, That's the same company I got mine from. I still drilled holes to be sure I didn't loose it because double sided tape didn't seem that secure. What I didn't want to do is curve the plate to the curvature of the front cowling. I placed it in the center down low. Looks like it's factory.
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:37 PM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
Quote:
Originally Posted by go6car View Post

Skene Design

When I looked at that site, all I saw was hardware for autos. Am I missing something? I'm needing this for my RV (coachmen mirada on a ford chasis).
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:56 PM   #34

I just ordered some front plates.

Certified Old Fart
You Can't Fix Stupid
Protected By S&W
Retired - Don't Ask Me To Fix Anything
I'm Only Driving Like This To Piss You Off

May change it every trip.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:00 PM   #35

When or if we ever get stop for not having one on the front we will get ours out of the box and put in window until we figure out how to install it. Most likely you will get stopped for something else anyway before an officer stops you for no front plates.
no3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:32 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statgeek View Post
My coach isn't equipped with a front license plate bracket either... As TX requires one, I've kept my front plate suction-cupped to the window. I don't like that option much, but I'm afraid of drilling into the fiberglass bumper and creating spider cracks in the gel coat (or whatever it is).

Any tips on how to drill into the fiberglass bumpter without creating bigger problems? Would it help to drill through masking tape applied over the fiberglass be enough??
Use a brad point drill bit that is new. You can get jack nuts to mount your plate.
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:22 AM   #37

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statgeek View Post
When I looked at that site, all I saw was hardware for autos. Am I missing something? I'm needing this for my RV (coachmen mirada on a ford chasis).

Yes, they are for cars, but work for RVs too.

Key is to measure to see how long of a bracket size you need. For my Encounter, we got "long" which is 2.5". the brackets get mounted underneath of the RV's front end, and stick out far enough so that the license plate looks like it's actually mounted to the front end of the rig (when it's not).

See the bracket sizes here: Skene Design (Look at the picture labeled "Long bracket on Porsche Boxster" to see what I mean...). You don't need to know what "car" you have to size these, just what "length" of bracket will fit your rig, (i.e., "Meduim", "Long", "Extra Long", etc.). The bracket lengths are at the bottom of the page under the install illustration.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you need more info.

go6car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:40 PM   #38

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
Ok, thanks for this! I'll take some measurements and see what I come up with.
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote