Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2012, 06:02 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Front tire replacement

My 2007 Meridian 36G came with the Michelin XRV 255/80 R22.5 tires. After 5 years and 42,000 miles I am replacing ONE tire (Right front). A few years ago this tire started exhibiting signs of what is called "Shoulder Step Chamfer Wear". (I posted on this board about this wear previously). But just recently, while checking my tires, not only have the flat spots of this wear gradually got wider and longer, but there were also two distinct indentations visible across the whole width of the tread. These indentations are about 2 1/2" wide, and run diagonally across the face of the tread. The strange thing is that, looking at the tread face on, one "groove" runs SW to NE, but the other runs NW to SE, if you get my meaning, almost forming a "V" shape, looking side on at the tread, but each leg separated by about 3" at the base of the "\ /". And there are only two of these grooves, in just the one section of the tread, covering about 18" of the total circumference.
I took it to a local wheel alignment and brake place. They work on trucks, RVs and other big vehicles all the time, and they seem to know their stuff. We took the tire off, and the guy there said that that tire was defective, and I agree with him. The tread depth is good all around the tire, at about 13/32", except for the flat stepped wear on the outer few inches of the tread. I have bought a new tire, and they are fitting it this afternoon. I had them check all the alignment parameters (Toe in, camber, castor, etc) and everything is in spec. Also checked the steering links, ball joints etc. and everything is fine.So, my questions are :
- Has anyone seen this type of (potential) failure of an XRV tire with this kind of mileage ?
- Is there any point in going to Michelin with a complaint, after 5 years of use, and 42,000 miles ?
Any knowledgeable comments welcome

Meurig Davies
2007 Itasca Meridian 36G
Meurigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2012, 06:07 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yep, sounds like a broken belt or manufacturing problem.

Doubt that any other tire manufacturer would stand behind it after that long. No tire is guaranted for a users lifetime.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:48 PM   #3

Michelin should help you. It has nothing to do with age or mileage but in tread depth. I would go to a Michelin Truck Tire store that is listed in this website.

Michelin Americas Truck Tires Dealer Locator
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:40 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Front Tire replacement

The wheel and alignment shop that fitted my new front tire have contacted Michelin and are arranging to have the old tire inspected. If it is defective and I get a few bucks refunded that will be good, but I am also curious as to what the problem is with the tire.

Meurig Davies 2007 Meridian 36G
Meurigd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replacement