Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2015, 04:44 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to BlauMax
Front Window Cover & Tire Valves

Ok guys/gals. I'm the proud owner of a new 2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T. I've been doing 5'ers for years and now a MH. So, my front window issue has never been an issue

When parked in the heat of the day with the sun beating thru the large front window, there is a lot of radiant heat pushing thru that piece of glass. Yes, there are curtains to be pulled and, yes, I could put reflective insulated foil in that front window. But, my experience is.. once the heat is in the coach.. it's there. Also, for side windows, I could put that reflective material inside the windows.. but, from what I've heard, yah, is that that heat, reflecting back outside can build up in the dual pane windows and cause expensive problems. I'd like to keep it outside.

What have you done, if anything? I think I could get my wife to build me a form fitted panel to attach outside that covered the front window, possibly with reflectex under the white naugahyde type material. But, how to attach it.??? The coach is fiberglass. If steel, magnets would work well.. but, it's not. Velcro? Suggestions.

I thought of snaps.. but that means drilling into the fiberglass to attach the snaps and I'm paranoid about proper sealing and leaks.

Again, suggestions?

OOPS, forgot about the tire valves. I can't get my air compressor head into the insides of the rear duelies to air them up. I'd also like to add my TPMS heads to the stems. I've heard the flexible extensions are not very useful. but the ones that are hard bent brass are great. What have you found and how did you solve the problem??

Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2015, 06:02 PM   #2

I put the reflective stuff in the front windshield and close the blinds, works pretty good. Side windows I just close the shades and put in the reflective material only in front sides since they are single pane then wait for the sun to go down. There is Magna Shade for the front windshield and it attaches with the magnets. Home | Magne Shade | Sunshade for RV, RV Shade, Installs from the ground, Magnetic Shade, Magnet Shade Back tire valves I have to lay on the ground and use the double headed devise to get in there, kind of a pain.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:40 PM   #3

My new Winnebego 27n came with valve extenders on the inner rear dually.

Works ok!

I will be placing TPMS system on them next week.
superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 09:04 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
I have purchased two sets from the below linked company, one for my previous Itasca and now for the Tiffin. They have an option of "Scotchlock" connectors which attach with double sided tape, but I chose snaps. It is just a small hole, then you put a dab of silicone sealant on the screw. I never had a problem with leaks. I bought the 90% Suntex and their price is $259.95 for a windshield cover, both side front windows, slip on windshield wiper covers and a carry bag. They make a huge difference in the hot sun.

RV Windshield Covers - Features
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 09:03 AM   #5

We have the same issue with our rear dualies. We just switched to aluminum wheels and it's a pup tp check/fill the rear outside tire. I looked at 180 degree extensions but I don't think they will fit with the wheels. Any suggestions?
Old 08-22-2015, 04:50 AM   #6

Quote:
When parked in the heat of the day with the sun beating thru the large front window, there is a lot of radiant heat pushing thru that piece of glass. Yes, there are curtains to be pulled and, yes, I could put reflective insulated foil in that front window. But, my experience is.. once the heat is in the coach.. it's there. Also, for side windows, I could put that reflective material inside the windows.. but, from what I've heard, yah, is that that heat, reflecting back outside can build up in the dual pane windows and cause expensive problems. I'd like to keep it outside.

What have you done, if anything?
We've used this for a year now and are very happy.
www.rvsunscreen.com
It easily attaches with adjustable rubber straps to the window frame, so no snaps, velcro, magnets, etc. needed. I also don't need a ladder. It reduces heat gain greatly and has never had a problem with strong winds. We also like that during the day we can see out, but not see inside the coach.

The cons are it is custom made to fit your coach and not cheap. It also gets wet when it rains - go figure.
Old 08-22-2015, 05:10 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
For keeping the heat out it is best to use exterior shade screens. There are several companies that make them, or if handy with a sewing machine a DIY project.
www.magnashade.com
They are held in place with magnets through the glass.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 05:37 AM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiedoke View Post
We've used this for a year now and are very happy.
www.rvsunscreen.com
It easily attaches with adjustable rubber straps to the window frame, so no snaps, velcro, magnets, etc. needed. I also don't need a ladder. It reduces heat gain greatly and has never had a problem with strong winds. We also like that during the day we can see out, but not see inside the coach.

The cons are it is custom made to fit your coach and not cheap. It also gets wet when it rains - go figure.
If you have a large (tall) windshield this screen is impossible to install without a ladder AND a helper. First, unless you play center in the NBA, you can't reach high enough to attach the suction cup to the side window without a ladder. Second, as you attempt to roll it out across the windshield it will bend and fold over onto itself. I took mine back to the manufacturer and had them install an additional aluminum bar on each side to make it "stiffer"; but it didn't help. I have now cut it down about 18" to make it a little more manageable; but it's still a two person install.
Old 08-22-2015, 08:59 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
We have the same issue with our rear dualies. We just switched to aluminum wheels and it's a pup tp check/fill the rear outside tire. I looked at 180 degree extensions but I don't think they will fit with the wheels. Any suggestions?
The 135 degree extensions should work well. They do for me.
HUGHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 09:40 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cenfl View Post
If you have a large (tall) windshield this screen is impossible to install without a ladder AND a helper. First, unless you play center in the NBA, you can't reach high enough to attach the suction cup to the side window without a ladder. Second, as you attempt to roll it out across the windshield it will bend and fold over onto itself.
True, if you can't reach the middle of your side windows, a step would be needed. However, I don't see how the screen can "fold over onto itself". Mine has a solid bar on each end, extending the height of the sunscreen. The website shows a guy who looks of average height placing one on a class A.
Old 08-22-2015, 01:17 PM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I bought a roll of the 4' x 10' Reflectix from Camping World and cut it to fit snugly against my windshield. I pull the curtains inside just for looks. Here is the link: Multi-Purpose Foil, 4' x 10' - Direcsource Ltd AO2012-003 - Window Covers - Camping World

As for the tire valves, min all have the flexible extensions. I have only had to replace one in 4 years.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 04:30 AM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiedoke View Post
True, if you can't reach the middle of your side windows, a step would be needed. However, I don't see how the screen can "fold over onto itself". Mine has a solid bar on each end, extending the height of the sunscreen. The website shows a guy who looks of average height placing one on a class A.
The website shows a guy placing a screen on an older Class A with a smaller windshield. Like I said, if you have a large windshield like on most late model coaches, installing the sunscreen is a two person + ladder operation. The solid bars on each end are aluminum and even doubled up, they will easily bend.
Old 08-23-2015, 06:31 AM   #13

X2 for reflectix. It's not pretty but we have used this for years, and it really works. It's probably less expensive at Lowes or Home Depot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I bought a roll of the 4' x 10' Reflectix from Camping World and cut it to fit snugly against my windshield. I pull the curtains inside just for looks. Here is the link: Multi-Purpose Foil, 4' x 10' - Direcsource Ltd AO2012-003 - Window Covers - Camping World

As for the tire valves, min all have the flexible extensions. I have only had to replace one in 4 years.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 07:40 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhite View Post
What have you done, if anything? I think I could get my wife to build me a form fitted panel to attach outside that covered the front window, possibly with reflectex under the white naugahyde type material. But, how to attach it.??? The coach is fiberglass. If steel, magnets would work well.. but, it's not. Velcro? Suggestions.
Hi Bill,

I made my own windshield sun shade and I bet your wife could do the same. The details are here. The summary is that I used a 95% "shade factor" material made from PVC-coated polyester and super strong magnets. It is very easy to install (and take down) but does take a pole - I use my walking stick. It makes a HUGE difference in internal temperature and being able to see outside during the day with it installed is very nice.

Tags
window