Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2020, 06:34 PM   #1219
HTTR

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecsproull View Post
Got my invite and downloaded the Android version of the TSD app today.

Me too
Fulltiming since 10-15-2019
swaff54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2020, 06:36 PM   #1220

How does one request an invite?
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 07:12 PM   #1221
HTTR

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
How does one request an invite?

From their Facebook page

https://openroads.fueldiscountapp.com/

Fulltiming since 10-15-2019
swaff54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 11:02 AM   #1222

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2zon View Post
Maybrook NY, $78 off on 79 or gallons of fuel, nearly a buck a gallon under the posted price.
That's an interesting location. The posted TA price is $2.83, and the TSD price is $1.93, which makes it actually $2.03 once you take into account the fees.

The going price in the area is about $2.50, so it's more like a 50-cent discount but the other stations are small and they don't have truck pumps. Really, the only game in town for a big vehicle is the major truck stops, so the TSD discount is really valuable.

And that's what I always say--if you're going to fill up at one of the overpriced major-brand truck stops, then it's a no-brainer to use the TSD discount. But usually, there are alternatives, and I prefer using those because it doesn't give a red cent to these truck stops that are more than happy to gouge RVers when they can. And they usually charge the same for cash and credit.
oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 04:04 PM   #1223

Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmeal View Post
That's an interesting location. The posted TA price is $2.83, and the TSD price is $1.93, which makes it actually $2.03 once you take into account the fees.

The going price in the area is about $2.50, so it's more like a 50-cent discount but the other stations are small and they don't have truck pumps. Really, the only game in town for a big vehicle is the major truck stops, so the TSD discount is really valuable.

And that's what I always say--if you're going to fill up at one of the overpriced major-brand truck stops, then it's a no-brainer to use the TSD discount. But usually, there are alternatives, and I prefer using those because it doesn't give a red cent to these truck stops that are more than happy to gouge RVers when they can. And they usually charge the same for cash and credit.
Yup, I forgot the fees until I got home and saw the e-mail. The EFS app showed about a buck a gallon off, but with fees (10% plus a sixty five cent transaction fee) it was actually ninety cents off the posted price. That still beats the posted prices in my area by a substantial margin. At some point, traveling for less expensive fuel is self-defeating. At 7.5 mpg, it takes very few miles to burn up the savings. But Maybrook was on the way in both directions, as it happened, and it was the only place we bought fuel on the latest trip.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 08:17 PM   #1224

I have proposed closing this thread so I will eat my words. I had to update to the Open Roads app since the EFS app does not seem to work anymore.

I did call to find out that the Open Roads must have location services turned on to work. I usually do not care about the prices where I am but where I am goiing. Now I find that the Open Roads seems to only show the name of the station, not the address or GPS coordinates like the EFS app shows. You can click "directions" but I prefer to plot my own directions so all I need is an address or coordinates.

Is there a work around for this?

Thanks,
Old 10-26-2020, 08:28 PM   #1225

EFS (old app) still works for me.

Agree Open Roads (new app) is not as friendly for route planning. I do see station name & location so easy enough to plug that into Trip Wizard or a GPS app.
Old 10-26-2020, 09:41 PM   #1226

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldCat25 View Post
I have proposed closing this thread so I will eat my words. I had to update to the Open Roads app since the EFS app does not seem to work anymore.

I did call to find out that the Open Roads must have location services turned on to work. I usually do not care about the prices where I am but where I am goiing. Now I find that the Open Roads seems to only show the name of the station, not the address or GPS coordinates like the EFS app shows. You can click "directions" but I prefer to plot my own directions so all I need is an address or coordinates.

Is there a work around for this?

Thanks,
Both EFS and Open Roads use location services, but can set to only be on while using the app.

I use Road Trip Planner to plan my routes. I now use Open Roads to seek out fuel stops along the route that I have planned, usually about 500 to 700 miles apart. The 150 mile radius that Open Roads shows while moving the map along the route that I have planned on Road Trip Planner, allows me to easily find the stops within my range preference. The directions button on the Open Roads app gives me the address of the station and I use that address to add the location to Road Trip Planner. It doesn't provide GPS coordinates, but the address finds the location in my GPS.

I also avoid bio-fuel, so that is an extra step I take because of my older Cummins that was built before bio-fuel. The TA/Petro app is a good source to determine the type of fuel and percentage of bio-fuel at each location. A quick internet search will also get that same information by entering the TA location and #.

I have fueled three times in the last three days and have used the EFS app to get the receipt information immediately after fueling, so I can say it seems to be working right up to now, while I am typing this reply, so have no explanation for any issues that you are having.

Call me crazy, but I have always logged my fuel usage. When I got my EFS card, I added columns to the spread sheet that calculated the expected account transfer that TSD will take. So far we have agreed to the penny on every transaction.
Sherpa Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 06:16 PM   #1227

[ATTACH]3093t11[/ATTACH]
Another nice savings during our last fill up!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjustments.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	191.2 KB
ID:	309311  
kpecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 09:43 PM   #1228
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My fill-up last week was 57 gallons and I saved $30 at TA.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 01:13 PM   #1229

TSD fuel discounts

With fuel prices on a steady rise I'm wondering If anyone has information about when the TSD fuel discounts might return to original levels?
Old 01-07-2021, 01:26 PM   #1230

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team G View Post
With fuel prices on a steady rise I'm wondering If anyone has information about when the TSD fuel discounts might return to original levels?
Date/time? Nope, my digital crystal ball isn't good enough for that. But in a general way, discounts will come back when consumption increases (odd, eh?) and the markups return. When oil currently in storage gets released, the spread between price paid and current market price will allow for greater discounting for loyalty.
Old 01-07-2021, 08:02 PM   #1231

KZ RV Club
80 gallon transfer tank, EFS saving added for the year just over $1000. I have a thousand mile range towing so easy to plan ahead. I live in a small town but travel almost weekly to a town 80 miles away, a town with a T/A, just fill when I'm there. Reading some of the recent post the EFS best discounts truck stops and the app will tell you which has the best, currently T/A.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201126_144515698.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	313.8 KB
ID:	313796  
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 08:12 PM   #1232

Nothing to do with the card, but....

The diesel at regular gas stations will always be, at a minimum, 30 cents to the gallon cheaper than what you will find at truck stops. And more important - much less bio in the fuel!

When laying out the route I will be traveling, I anticipate where I will be taking on fuel, do a "google earth" search of the stations in the area and look for the one that has the right access for the motorhome. I then call the station to verify the clearances and ask about the concentration of bio.

I've been doing this for years and haven't had a problem yet!

Bill
03 American Tradition
bneiva is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, phone