Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2019, 04:14 PM   #379

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Fuel Discount Program.....to good to be true?

Smaller truck stops I have gone in and the charge the tax manually. But generally since I know the area I use regular gas stations that have access and are cheaper much cheaper but maybe the tds will change that if one can go in and find a way to make it work ( and I’m only here and gone for a month a year I don’t need much fuel here )
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2019, 10:33 PM   #380

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
Where in Oregon do owners of large (45 ft long) Class A rigs go to fill their tanks. Too big for the average gas station, and truck stops are the norm in every other state to fill them. There has to be a way to get fuel to the tanks of these large beasts in Oregon. Curious how it's done.
Richard the best of my memory, when we spent time in OR in 2014, I refueled several times at truck stops. I had to walk in and tell the desk clerk I was a private vehicle to start the pump. I had to pay at the fuel desk, where they manually added fuel tax to my bill after I had refueled.
I never encountered any truck stop that would not let me refuel our MH.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 04:11 AM   #381

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Richard the best of my memory, when we spent time in OR in 2014, I refueled several times at truck stops. I had to walk in and tell the desk clerk I was a private vehicle to start the pump. I had to pay at the fuel desk, where they manually added fuel tax to my bill after I had refueled.
Okay - that's good to know. The big question then remains how would the TSD program come into play if the EFS card was used to pay for the fuel. I'd like to assume that if the pump is started with the EFS card (whether inside or outside) the program will still work. Guess we'll find out when someone tries it.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 08:20 AM   #382

After buying fuel using this card twice and being the first times I have ever used the big truck lanes I will never use the FJ RV lanes again. I was concerned about waiting in line for a long time. Now I pull in behind a truck where I have time to use the bathroom in the motorhome. The extra space at the truck lanes are a big plus also.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 08:20 PM   #383
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
After buying fuel using this card twice and being the first times I have ever used the big truck lanes I will never use the FJ RV lanes again. I was concerned about waiting in line for a long time. Now I pull in behind a truck where I have time to use the bathroom in the motorhome. The extra space at the truck lanes are a big plus also.

Welcome to the unofficial truck stop club. Never look back.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 08:45 PM   #384

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
I know you were concerned about fueling in the truck lanes, so I'm glad to hear that it is going well for you.

Just one more tip for you to consider if your DEF tank is on the DS. Mine is and when I need to fill it and there's a truck waiting behind me this is what I do.

While my diesel pump is running I go back and let the driver know that when I'm finished fueling I will be pulling partially forward to fill the DEF tank as it is located in the second bay from the rear of the coach. I have not received one complaint yet doing this. Most of the time it's a nod of head, but a few times it was a "thanks for letting me know". This way they don't start their engines when they see me put the diesel nozzle back in the pump.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 08:57 PM   #385

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
Where in Oregon do owners of large (45 ft long) Class A rigs go to fill their tanks. Too big for the average gas station, and truck stops are the norm in every other state to fill them. There has to be a way to get fuel to the tanks of these large beasts in Oregon. Curious how it's done.

Mine is only a wee 39.5’ but never had any issues at Oregon truck stations.
Old 09-14-2019, 09:12 AM   #386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Several years ago, I went to a truck stop south of Portland. I pulled up to the truck pumps and the pump wouldn't start with my credit card, so I went inside and they said I couldn't use the truck pumps, and directed me to a single diesel pump along the curb in the "truck" section (called it the "retail" pump). Okay, fine, but then they treated it like a car pump and wouldn't let me pump my own fuel, so I stood there next to the hose as a guy pumped it for me.

I'm looking forward to real-life reports on how the TSD card is handled in Oregon, Indiana, and Arizona, although I know from experience that just because something happened a certain way one time doesn't mean it will happen the same way the next.

In Arizona, if the TSD discount is only a few cents, the diesel might actually cost more than it would a private vehicle because that discount is 8 cents/gallon. I'd be interested to see if someone can use the TSD card and get the 8 cents/gallon refunded; it might not work that way because the accounting records for the truck stop could treat all TSD transactions as commercial.

Generally, I avoid fueling in Indiana because I like to understand how things I'm doing work. The last time was a couple of years ago, and for some reason I paid the exempt price, but have no idea why. That worked out to my benefit, except for the mental anguish from wondering "Whyyyyy?"
oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 10:31 AM   #387
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I fueled in Indiana in August at a PFJ truck stop. Swiped the PFJ card, pumped and went on with business as usual. Nothing unusual.
Old 09-14-2019, 11:50 AM   #388

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
I fueled in Indiana in August at a PFJ truck stop. Swiped the PFJ card, pumped and went on with business as usual. Nothing unusual.
Please confirm that you were on the truck side, not auto or RV pumps.
Old 09-14-2019, 05:52 PM   #389

I used the card at a Loves's in Plymouth, IN a few days ago with no issues.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 07:16 PM   #390
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernieh View Post
Please confirm that you were on the truck side, not auto or RV pumps.
I have never use the auto side rv pumps. I always use the truck side pumps - always. Even when I was towing a 5rth wheel with an F350S dually I used truck side truck stop pumps. I have been in 46 of the 48 contiguous states always using truck side, missing ND and DE and have always used truck side pumps.

Why do you ask?

Edited: Found this on PFJ listing for Indiana:
"**The advertised diesel price in Indiana reflects the tax-exempt price for
commercial vehicles only. Private vehicles are required by state law to pay state
taxes at the time of purchase. The pump price will increase to include the required
state tax. However, customers will still receive the applicable discount off that price."

So don't worry about using the truck pumps with PFJ Card. I'll bet the EFS card does the same.
Old 09-15-2019, 06:18 AM   #391

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Following
Old 09-15-2019, 06:55 AM   #392
Elf

Tiffin Owners Club
Following also.
Elf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, phone