Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2018, 08:45 PM   #43

How long is too long?

I’ve traveled thru every one of the lower 48 and most of eastern Canada and with patience and careful planning and cautious manoeuvers have used gasoline pumps at fuel stops of just about every shape, size, brand and layout. Yes, I also prefer Pilot/Flying J stops but have also found most truck stop well planned for us”gassers” too. But I tow a travel trailer so what I’m driving has a shorter turning radius that. coach. My overall length? 62 feet 9 inches. Still a tight squeeze at times but remember, my trailer tracks much, much wider in a turn than your “toad”. The trailer is 42 feet from the tip of the ball mount to the back bumper(not counting the spare mounted behind the bumper and the truck is 20 feet plus the 9 inches that is the length of the draw bar that sticks out from the receiver hitch.
Again, careful planning and patience getting to the pump.

J Royer from Ohio
JRoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2018, 09:02 PM   #44

Fleetwood Owners Club
Haven't seen it mentioned yet - a book called "The Next Exit" that covers the US Interstate system. Shows most amenities at every exit (including rest stops) and highlights in red the businesses that are "RV friendly" (don't have a smart enough phone for apps). Yes, we also plan the day's trip including gas and lunch stops and use Google Maps to look at gas stations for clearances. NOTE: Although Pilot stations are marked as RV friendly, some can still be a little hard to get around in. Have a 36 foot gasser pulling a 22 foot trailer.
Dave RVM#66 and Carol
1998 Pace Arrow Vision
Seeing the USA - 200 miles at a time
daveandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 09:39 PM   #45

Flying J, T/A, some Loves. You have to map it out. The suggestion of using Gas buddy and a map program satellite view or the Pilot - flying J App and a map program satellite view to plan is a very important idea.
Dave the mnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 09:41 PM   #46

Plan to re-fuel at truck stops/travel centers like Pilot/Flying J, the price per gallon may be higher but, if you are stuck on saving money you wouldn't have bought a MH.(depreciating asset)
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 05:28 AM   #47

Country Coach Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Congrats on the new rig! One suggestion that may help. When we're home and need to fill the MH I take it to the local Kroger store where they have gas and diesel. They have large traffic cones that I use to block off the two outside pumps as they become available. Then I pull the MH in, stopping at the last pump.

Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
Joe, he has been a member since 2013!! What is with all the welcome messages? Is that just to build up your message count?
😇
Old 11-23-2018, 06:08 AM   #48

A friend suggested a book called "Next Exit". Covers all US highways w/ exit features - gas, food, hotels, etc. RV accessible fueling stations are in red. Very accurate. I use it often to plan a trip.
edaa53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 06:20 AM   #49

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Twinsburg OH - Franklin MA - New Milford CT - Bay Shore NY
Fueling a 35' Class A Gas Motorhome

I try to plan to find a CostCo on my trips or a Pilot/Flying J. I plan my trips using RVTrip Wizard. It does a great job and a fantastic app in finding fuel stops along on my trips.
mikeannetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 06:33 AM   #50

Send a message via Yahoo to xjpr
Flying J has an app that allows you to adjust filters for RV lanes, I usually plan my gas stops accordingly if possible.
xjpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 06:57 AM   #51

I have the same problem especially when I am not on the turnpike. When driving on the turnpike the gas lanes are usually big enough to handle a gasser. But IS and other roads it has been hit or miss. Hope that gas stations will start adding bigger lanes now that gas MH are more popular and prolific now.
dphillipssr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 08:07 AM   #52

This is what I do, as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeHogan View Post
My Canyon Star with dolly and car is approx 55' end to end. Typically we look for Flying J or Pilot stations. Not all are easy but they work if you watch out for certain things.
Sometimes I have to wait for parking spaces to clear to gain a cushion for turning.
While the gas Isle roof is typically high enough some stations have signs or roof overhangs or signs sticking into the travel lanes that do not provide clearance.
If the Flying J or Pilot have RV lanes it will be posted on their website.

As others have said if you can use Google to get a satellite picture it helps make your choice. Watch out for the date of the image, sometimes very old.
I agree. We took a trip over 7,000 miles this past summer and planned out every fuel stop in advance. Most Flying J's have RV pumps. Some Pilots do, as well. Check their website.
I also use Google maps to plan how I am going to get into and out of the station. The satellite pictures have helped, too.
On another note, a Good Sam/Camping World membership will get you a five cent per gallon discount at Flying J/Pilot. By planning in advance, you can also choose which state has the lower gas taxes, sometimes filling up when you enter the state and before you leave. I have been able to skip re-fueling in high tax states.
WhatDoIKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 09:38 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatDoIKnow View Post
I agree. We took a trip over 7,000 miles this past summer and planned out every fuel stop in advance. Most Flying J's have RV pumps. Some Pilots do, as well. Check their website.
I also use Google maps to plan how I am going to get into and out of the station. The satellite pictures have helped, too.
On another note, a Good Sam/Camping World membership will get you a five cent per gallon discount at Flying J/Pilot. By planning in advance, you can also choose which state has the lower gas taxes, sometimes filling up when you enter the state and before you leave. I have been able to skip re-fueling in high tax states.
You're a lot more organized than I am. We often aren't sure where we're spending the night or even what our route and final destination will be.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 10:14 AM   #54

Allstays has a great App lots of stuff, one thing that I really like which you won’t get with google maps is Bridge Heights, and road lanes, keeps me out of trouble, other stuff, everything related to needed by an RV.
pobstlmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 10:50 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by CntryCoachRV View Post
Joe, he has been a member since 2013!! What is with all the welcome messages? Is that just to build up your message count?
😇
They are just friendly people, actually great people!
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 05:36 PM   #56

Monaco Owners Club
Diesel trouble also

I have a 40’ DP when looking for fuel I find that the truck stops usually charge more than regular stations. The truck stops are easier to get fuel and will give you more than $100 worth of fuel which is more convenient. Is there a way to get a cheaper price at the truck stops?
Bill1947 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, fuel, gas, motorhome