Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2008, 08:25 AM   #1

I have a 2006 Winnie Vectra 36RD. When trying to fuel at a truck stop, I have difficulty delivering fuel into the tank without having the liquid back up shut down the pump. It also floods the ground at my feet. We have tried to fuel at automobile stops (which was recommended to us by a tech from Winnebago) with similar results. Has anyone else had this prob and do you have a solution?
bunny2448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2008, 08:25 AM   #2

I have a 2006 Winnie Vectra 36RD. When trying to fuel at a truck stop, I have difficulty delivering fuel into the tank without having the liquid back up shut down the pump. It also floods the ground at my feet. We have tried to fuel at automobile stops (which was recommended to us by a tech from Winnebago) with similar results. Has anyone else had this prob and do you have a solution?
Old 01-10-2008, 09:19 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Bunny;

Welcome to IRV2 . This is a problem that has been experienced by several folks with the Frieghtliner XC and Evolution, some report more problems than others. Some have reported an improperly connected/routed vent line to the tank fill which restricts flow. Others, like myself, just find that the slope of the fill tube is not sufficient to allow rapid filling of the tank. In my case, I have to control the flow from the pump (do it very slowly) to prevent backflow. One of our forum members, John Canfield, has created a wooden wedge he uses on the fuel pump handle to control the flow.

If my tank is less than 1/2 full, I can usually fill at auto diesel pumps without too much issue. However, with the high flow truck pumps, I have to hold the trigger on the nozzle and use about 1/4 of the flow capability of the pump.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:18 AM   #4

Hey!

This is gryowl, Bunny's co-pilot.
I get to do most of the fueling and I'll tell you, It's frustrating. I have considered a wedge as in both the auto and truck stops it is rare I can get the pump functioning on a reliable basis. Impossible to get it to the first click without some sort of gimmik or such. We have been told that this is a Freightliner situation and well known. Winnebago's only suggestion was to fill at an automobile pump....which usually doesn't improve the results. The delivery tubes have two 90 degree bends (each) and this including the very little slope causes any reasonable delivery volume to back up and shut down the pump. Curiously, I have had some success in reversing the presentation of the pump handle...ie, rotate the handle 180 degrees ( hose coming down to nozzle ).
I can, sometimes get the delivery to the first click lock and don't have to end up with cramps in my hand trying to hold the trigger "just barely open" forever....
I talked with a Freightliner Office in El Paso and they believe that they could improve on the delivery plumbing sufficiently enough to make this problem not a problem..... problem is that; you pay whatever it comes to cost regardless. Not at all happy with Winnebagos attitude that this is an "OWNER PROBLEM" and they have little interest in helping us out.

Jimm
Old 01-10-2008, 11:48 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here is a FUEL WEDGE that John Caufield came up with.
Just so you feel you should have company the Fords had this same problem the coach builder would tie or place the fuel tank vent under the fuel fill pipe and gas would kick back into vent line causeing what you are experiencing.
I would reroute the vent line as high as I could so vent would stay clear of fuel.

By the way welcome to the Winnebago forum and irv2.
Enjoy the forums and do post often.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 03:31 PM   #6

Don't know if you have the dual fuel fills on your coach but, I open both sides when I am fueling and this seems to help some as the pressure build-up of air is releaved. I always have someone watch the off side so I am not pouring fuel out that side while filling on my side.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:53 PM   #7

Mid Atlantic Campers
I had this same issue with my 07 XC chassis. Luckly my selling dealer has a good frieghtliner shop and sent the coach to them. The FL shop dropped my tank, replaced the vent lines to larger diameters, re routed the vent lines, adjusted the fill hoses. No more issues. I can fill at the truck pumps with no problems, I fill the coach in just minutes. No more cramped hands ans messes. It would pay you to at least make sure your vent hoses are connected properly, and not just laying on top of the fuel tank. Make sure the are routed properly and that they do not allow any fuel to create a trap, thus blocking air from escaping the fuel tank. The best way to see if you are venting is to first see if they are attached to the fill pipe, look in the front wheel wells, or cargo boxs, or behind the slides to see the fill pipe, is there a vent line attached ? If so use an air line to blow back through the vent line to clear it of any laying fuel. See how that works, if you can take fuel more easily you know what needs to be done. Good Luck.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 11:56 AM   #8

Many thanx, for this very valuable info. We will look into having the necessary solutions satisfied.

Barb & Jimm

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Jestme13
"National RV Owner's Forum Leader"

Posted January 10, 2008 08:53 PM Hide Post
I had this same issue with my 07 XC chassis. Luckly my selling dealer has a good frieghtliner shop and sent the coach to them. The FL shop dropped my tank, replaced the vent lines to larger diameters, re routed the vent lines, adjusted the fill hoses. No more issues. I can fill at the truck pumps with no problems, I fill the coach in just minutes. No more cramped hands ans messes. It would pay you to at least make sure your vent hoses are connected properly, and not just laying on top of the fuel tank. Make sure the are routed properly and that they do not allow any fuel to create a trap, thus blocking air from escaping the fuel tank. The best way to see if you are venting is to first see if they are attached to the fill pipe, look in the front wheel wells, or cargo boxs, or behind the slides to see the fill pipe, is there a vent line attached ? If so use an air line to blow back through the vent line to clear it of any laying fuel. See how that works, if you can take fuel more easily you know what needs to be done. Good Luck.

Steve, Pat and Hakbar the Horrible
2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
350 HP Cat, Allison 6 spd, 275/80 22.5 Goodyears. with
all the goodies a man could want
99 chevy tracker rag top
4 bikes mixed breeds, Chevy small block trike.
Posts: 1739 | Location: Phila, PA | Registered: February 02, 2006 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>