Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2010, 09:10 PM   #1

Question Full length slides any problem on 40 ft + models?

I'm looking at a couple of coaches locally. One is a 2010 Discovery 40G and the other is an Ellipse 42??

Both have the full length slide out which tremendously opens up the bathroom area. This I need for my wife and her wheelchair.

Has this full length slide out caused any issues for anyone?

The Discovery model is marked down to $189k at the moment as it is a year old and "still new" unsold.

The floor plan really interests me and if there aren't any really bad issues, I just may go for the plunge.

A 2nd question is the factory supplied solar unit. Has it performed adequately and any failures on it?
AZgl1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2010, 09:21 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
If my memory serves me I seem to recall something about a problem with the slideout sagging. I don't remember if it was brand specific or just a general problem with the full length slideout.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 09:39 PM   #3

Would a MOD please move this into the Fleetwood forum. Thought that was where I was, sorry...
Old 11-28-2010, 09:42 PM   #4

As the Ellipse is a Winnebago/Itasca product I can comment on full slides. I have a Winnebago Voyage 32H made from 05-08 only. In 2008 only (my model year), the drivers side had a 25' full slide. It never worked properly since I bought it in 5/08. Had to use over ride 50-60% of the time to retract. In May 2009 Lazy Days(Tampa) did warranty work on both slides. They worked for about (2) weeks and then back to 50/50 working. While in the mid west early June 2010, I stopped at the Winnebago factory. Even though the slides were out of warranty they saw the previous attempt to fix them and did $2,000 of "good faith" work ie: adjusted both slide units to fit the holes in the coach, adjusted the tracks, lubed all the tracks on the slides and replaced the 25" slide pump/motor. BOTH have worked flawlessly for (6) months of full timing. I recommend all Winnie full slide owners to stop at the factory as I feel the full slides need adjustment to compensate after they are broken in. Do it BEFORE the warranty is up.

NAVYBLUE
navyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:44 AM   #5

Now that is useful information and thank you very much.

I heard from a Tiffin dealer that he was told by Bob Tiffin that Tiffin would never build a full length slide coach. Hearsay, but I do wonder about the full slides.

The enticement of having the full coach open up though is a huge one.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:17 AM   #6
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have a 2008 Destination with the 23' or so full slide. There was a modification kit put out by Winnebago that was not installed properly on my Coach. The slide pulled the bed rail pedestal out of the floor. The kit has since been installed. It is in the shop now for a motor. I could extend or extract, but on extraction the rear side of the slide would stick out about an inch. I could electrically override and suck it in, but just a few miles down the road it would be out an inch again. The dealer is replacing the motor.

The driver side slide is 12 ft and no slouch by it's own. I have had problems with it, but not mechanical.

My next, if I ever get there, motorhome will not have full slides.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:58 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I also have the Winnebago Destination with the same slides as Wayne M. I have had zero problems with my slides in 3 plus years of use.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:35 AM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
I have a Winnebago Tour 40TD with two full size overlapping slides. No problems with either slide now in year 3 of use.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 01:20 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Here's my two cents:

I would see if you can get a better price on that Discovery.

What you have listed is just shy of 25% off of MSRP. A really great deal would be between 25% and 30%. The 2011s are out now (and are more expensive to boot), so that can only help your cause. A little more leg work might really pay off for you, unless you have your heart set on this particular coach at this particular dealer. If that's the case, might not hurt to get a few online price quotes on an identical unit from around the country to see if you can leverage that in your negotiations on this unit.

At these prices, a few percentage points discount can really impact your purchase price...

Good luck on your decision! Both are really nice rigs....
go6car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 03:41 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by go6car View Post
Here's my two cents:

I would see if you can get a better price on that Discovery.

What you have listed is just shy of 25% off of MSRP. A really great deal would be between 25% and 30%.

and right you are. Since I will be using a savings account, it will be a Cash Only deal, and my first offer is be a full $25,000 below that current $189k listed price.

I will tell them that ya know, I'm kind of tight on cash right now, and I need to leave some bux in the bank to feed this beast a few miles. So here is my offer, and leave them my phone number and go home.

I bought my current '98 Dodge diesel that way. Strange how the manager was the one to call me after I got home, not the sleazy floor jockey who was trying to find out my first born.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:27 AM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Sounds like a plan! Let us know how you make out with the deal!

go6car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:07 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Looking at the full body slides from an engineers point of view, they can work if designed correctly. The problem is that the manufacturer has to put in a lot of support in the frame and roof to make up for that huge hole in the side wall. Properly designed the slide should support the roof when in and lock everything securely in place. When extended, the slide needs to support the roof structure.

This is fairly simple with a smaller slide and the shorter distances. Think of how to support a 2 x 4 with a load on it over a distance of some 20 feet plus. The roof over that area has to have a lot of extra bracing as well as the slide out roof.

I would be very careful with such a coach and make sure it was well braced and supported.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote