Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-23-2012, 09:11 AM   #1

furnace only working in one zone

I have a duo-therm comfort control center. The furnace mode only shows up for zone two. The front of the coach does not heat. I have read some threads about resetting the center, which I did, but nothing changed. I have read about dip switches but I do not know where they are. We are currently at Joshua Tree NP and it is chilly at night. Thanks for any help.
Todd
tlecronier is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2012, 09:40 AM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
The furnace does only work on one zone. It should heat the entire coach unless you have two furnaces (which I haven't heard of before). The problem may be that your temperature sensing unit for the system in zone 2 is in the back of the coach - which requires less heat from the furnace to heat it up and shut off the unit than the front temperature sensor. I reset my unit to have the furnace control on zone 1 and now I have to keep the furnace temperature set pretty low during nighttime hours or the bedroom gets WAY TOO HOT while the living room area gets comfortable. It's a trade off you have to make having only one control with two temperature sensing units.

You can reset the control (which you apparently already did) and then reset the dip switches that are found on the electrical control board usually on the front a/c unit itself. You have to remove the shroud, then remove the cover for the electrical control board on the unit and you will find the dip switches there. You will need to consult the owner's manual or repair manual to determine how to reset the switches to move the control of the unit from zone 1 to zone 2. It isn't something you can do without knowing how the dip switches need to be set. Hope that helps.
rdownward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:50 AM   #3

Thanks for the help. Maybe the problem is something else because no air comes out of the two vents at the bottom of the couch or base boards under kitchen area. Are those intake only?
Old 12-23-2012, 10:08 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
If re-setting the CCC, does not bring up Zone 1, then you have a bad data cable connection. DIP switches are not going to change on their own. Open up the front ceiling AC panel (Zone 1). You should see 3, what look like telephone cable/jacks. One will be from the tstat, one from the front furnace and the third going to Zone 2. Unplug and plug them in again. If you have some spray contact cleaner, use that too. Now go the the CCC and reset the system, Zone 1 should now be available.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:17 AM   #5

The AC units on the coach are new. Maybe the dip switches are not correct. Any idea how they should be set before i go do what you suggested?

Thanks
Old 12-23-2012, 11:29 AM   #6

By the way, if I have two ac units, wouldn't i need to plugs in the back of the thermostat?
Old 12-23-2012, 11:35 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Both furnaces will work at the same time, the front being zone one and the rear being zone two. Here is a link to both the four button and five button Controllers user manuals http://sdrv.ms/12IYa75 If you have the overhead florescent lights turned on they can cause communication errors that will disable one or both zones if you have a bad ballast. Try turning them off and resetting the CCC again. The procedure is in the documents you will find at the link. The control cable is daisy chained from the CCC to the front AC unit and then to the rear AC unit so if the rear is working than the cable is at least hooked up correctly. You will also find the dip switch settings in the doc that applies to your specific CCC, four or five button.
Good luck
Dick
Old 12-23-2012, 12:23 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlecronier View Post
The AC units on the coach are new. Maybe the dip switches are not correct. Any idea how they should be set before i go do what you suggested?

Thanks
It depends on if you have the 4 or 5 button CCC. Also what all both Zones are controlling. It only takes a few minutes to do what I suggested to find out if the DIPs need re-positioning, leave the cover off the AC. If that doesn't work, I have attached a manual that will explain how to position the switches at each Zone, depending on what's connected to each Zone (AC, Furnace, Heat Pump, Strip Heater)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Duotherm air conditioner service manual.pdf (2.79 MB, 104 views)
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:42 AM   #9

Fixed

I got both zones working. Thanks for all of the help. This is all I had to do:

The comfort control center was fine. I had to access both of my AC units control panels, which were accessible under the ceiling templates inside the coach. I took out one screw to take off a small metal plate to access the panel. I could see 8 dip switches which were all nicely labeled. The back AC unit, where I was getting heat, had the switches for "zone 2" and "furnace" on. The front AC unit, where no heat was getting and "furnace" would not even show up as a mode on the CCC had all 8 dip switches off. Since that is zone 1, all I needed to do was switch the dip switch for "furnace" on. "Furnace" mode for zone 1 finally showed up on the CCC. I re-set the CCC just to be sure.

I then set the temp for the both zones and finally has heat coming out of all of the ducts in the front and rear of the coach. BTW, my AC units are brand new Domestics.

Thanks again,
Todd
Old 12-30-2012, 06:45 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdownward View Post
The furnace does only work on one zone. It should heat the entire coach unless you have two furnaces (which I haven't heard of before).
Most any "newer" coach nearing 40' will have two furnaces...
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote