Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2020, 04:56 PM   #71

Tiffin Owners Club
I am feeling your pain...We have used Garmin products for years with great experience. When we upgraded to our first class A this year I wanted a unit that would account for my size and weight to keep us from getting into unwanted situations. We got the 770NA we also use waze and google maps but count on the Garmin to let us know if we are heading into a bad situation. On one trip it put us into a tight residential area that put my driving skills to the test. When I stopped a local for direction help I found there was a direct route that would have taken me to my destination on major roads. On another trip when the GPS had me turn off the highway the warning came up on GPS as soon as I made the turn that it told me to take that the road may not be suitable for my rig we ended up in a bad situation climbing up down twisting and turning through the mountains of West by god Virginia. My uncle would use google earth to map his trips before setting out on a trip so he could go in on street view for a closer look of areas that he was unsure of. I’m not retired yet and don’t have time to do all that but sounds like a good idea
C. Waraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2020, 05:01 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountry_star View Post
We do a lot of exploring with our DP and Jeep. Maybe not the best way to explore but the reason we bought a motorhome. Have run into that problem a number of times, especially out in the boon docks. NEVER EVER explicitly trust ANY GPS they will all lead you astray eventually. Don't ask me how I know. Have to "trust but verify". Don't have to take long detours on 2 lane gravel roads either. That's what they put R on these things for. Disconnect and turn around. They will actually turn around in a relatively small area when you have to. Again don't ask me how I know.
Some times in forests mountains rural areas ,bad weather you loose signals and you loose it with cellular too I use the map and pay attention to the signs
Mgtv53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 05:28 PM   #73

I agree being disappointed with Garmin RV760. I decided to use it on the way to a campground that I have visited multiple times. It tried to route me 40 miles more out of a 60 mile trip. My usual route is a truck route so there should have been no reason to add the additional miles.
sailingmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 05:34 PM   #74

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We have the RV770 with lifetime maps and traftic. Most of the time its giving us the right info a diverting us around restrictions because of the RV size/weight.

We still look at paper maps had too many strange routes. We have used garmins, google maps, and other gps over the years are 100% on.

I had both google and rv770 not knowing roads are closed.

One issue we have found with Garmin RV770, there is no axle weight you enter only total weight. Several times we have come to bridges that have a max axle weight, which most of the time it seems 6 ton it reads like max weight per axle 6 ton. My Garmin does not flag the bridge by max ton per axle. We most of the time are between 10.5 and 13 tons. With our rear axle between 7 to 8 tons. Garmin seems to do well with bridges that are rated for total weight.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 05:49 PM   #75

To All : I have a Garmin RV 760 and have no complaints knowing that the unit depends on second party maps. As an example in Alabama the Garmin will try to take you via a bridge crossing the Alabama River that isn't there coming from Montgomery to Gunter Hill COE Campground. Being a pilot as well as a boat owner I never rely on a single source for navigation. And yes a road map was very obvious that there wasn't a bridge at that location. Regarding notices on traffic and or construction - All of this depends on the latest update and as we all know most state highways are always under some form of road work and accidents and flag-people happen if reported.
Walt Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 05:57 PM   #76

Nor'easters Club
I got a SixGo 9" truck GPS on Amazon for about $75. Absolutely the best GPS I've had. Easier to use, reliable and well featured. I bought it with the thought that if it wasn't good, I'd just toss it. Instead it has become my favorite GPS.
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 06:01 PM   #77

Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Graham View Post
...Being a pilot as well as a boat owner I never rely on a single source for navigation. ...
I have three: my SixGo, a Rand McNally, and Waze on my phone all running at the same time. Each does something different (SixGo navigates, Rand does custom POIs statistics and fuel management, Waze for current road conditions.)

And yes, I'm that guy with the cell phone mount on the steering wheel... (with wireless USB charging, too..)
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 06:04 PM   #78

Right now I'm using a Garmin dezl 785 with a bus profile. There is a learning curve to these, but I've found it to be the best Garmin that I've used to date and I've been using them since the first generation of their auto devices years ago. There ways to tweak the settings to give you results closer to your liking, but the biggest thing to remember is to confirm the route it gives you and tweak it to your heart's content. The newer Garmin units lets you tweak the route with pinpoint precision. Ask if you want me to explain how.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 06:25 PM   #79

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-N-Lham View Post
As far as my cell phone if I am going to use it why did I spend 400 on the Garmin? Could have just used the cell phone. Everything I stated was true. Just not very confident anymore.
You link the garmin to the cell phone that is running the garmin app to get real time data. Data such as traffic, weather, & such does not come from the satellites. They all just transmit a signal. Your receiver (gps) takes those signals & compares them to get your exact position. You might do well reading up on how they work. As far as things like bridges out, no gps system I know of gets that type of info. I always look up a route on the gps, then on google maps & compare. I find my garmin to always err on the side of safety, keeping me off roads I could have used. As I tell many, it is just as important to know when not to follow the gps as it is to know when to follow it. Google maps & waze are car based info, don't try those with a large vehicle.
Just for background, in addition to our 38' monaco, I also drive tour busses & tractor trailers, all with my Dezl 760 Garmin.
DjDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 06:28 PM   #80

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken64k View Post
I have the Garmin RV 760 also and I too am not thrilled with it. I updated it right away when I got it. It is setup for my height and weight, but will still take me down roads I should not be on. Going through New York once and it kept trying to put me on the Parkways. It also doesn't seem to want to avoid low bridges.
I have much more faith in the good old truckers paper atlases than any GPS.
In addition to setting up a profile with your vehicle specs, you have to remember to chose that profile as your current vehicle.
It does not take that data into consideration if set to auto mode.
Old 11-08-2020, 06:45 PM   #81

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Proper cord? Not sure I understand.
Many garmin units have an optional power cord that has a traffic receiver built into them. they are dependent on an FM radio station in range on a network that carries the traffic data.
If you use the app on your phone linked to the garmin, you don't need the special cord, & the data comes over the internet, not dependent on local FM signals. Plus you get real time weather.
Old 11-08-2020, 07:04 PM   #82

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDFiver View Post
Regarding Garmin getting you into sketchy situations, yes indeedy. Most of the time we love our Garmin but we learned fairly recently that the human is the boss. If something doesn’t smell right, don’t do it.
After going down a road called Back of the Dragon which was as scary as it sounds, we will be planning our routes better.
OP says he used detours and ended up on a gravel road. Only use detours that a truck would use and ignore the Garmin.
AHH, The back of the dragon in Marion, VA.
Excellent motorcycle road, not so great in a large vehicle.
Old 11-08-2020, 07:08 PM   #83

I use a Rand McNally RVND 7, have a built-in and a portable and I update the software as often as possible (takes a good wifi). Both link using wifi to a weather and traffic program associated with Rand McNally. I also back-up with my cell-phone useing google maps for much better traffic updates. I have not experienced your problems, but am always hyper aware of my surroundings when in weather affected areas. Bridge and road closures, COVID closures, whatever give me cause to check with locals if there's a possibility of problems (weather, obvious construction, etc.). I did get routed to a bridge with 12'8" clearance, and my programmed height is 12'8". I saw the sign, chose the lowest portion of the road and proceeded slowly. The state had repaved the road and the original bridge height WAS 13', but with 2" of pavement added, clearance was reduced, it turned out it was 12'8" on the 'low' side and 12'10" on the 'high' side. I didn't even touch, or breathe, but just couldn't stop. Lucky!
I think Garmin's response was inappropriate, obviously they can't check ALL roads, but they do check almost all, and you have an excellent GPS and I dont' think you can find a superior one anywhere. Try the Rand McNally if you want to try something new, but they're both reputable companies with excellent products.
Good luck;
Bob '14 Winnebago 37F Adventurer; Jeep toad.
bobfrommaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 07:08 PM   #84

Quote:
We have a Garmin RV 760, have became disappointed up on learning it dose not give real time info I expected. I paid a premium price thinking it would offer protection for our large RV and have sadly trusted it. We went on a short trip and kept running into detours for bridges being out, no notification from Garmin we were lucky our last bridge out was at a cross road. The good part there was an intersection just before the bridge or non bridge bad part was it was a 1 lane country gravel road. We had no option go right /left or turn around in a cornfield. we did go right and luckily did not come up on any oncoming traffic. Like a combine, semi or large tractor. we did finally get to the highway we were looking for and reached our destination, my clean freshly waxed MH and toad were now white. I did call Garmin upon my return home and got an explanation. "they cant check all the roads" Not what I expected, they only offer road info around large metro areas which in Indiana that would be only Indpls. I did find out that they did offer protection of bridge heights on interstates as they had vehicles go out and measure. This also was not completely true as the interstate we were on had construction and a notice for trucks to use the left lane as the left berm was being worked on. I was not in a truck so didnt think it meant me. well when they shifted regular traffic to the right this raised those vehicles and the overpass was right there and the edge was lower than the center. Thankfully we did not hit the top edge of the overpass, that would have really runt the trip. Oh and no notice of construction.
Anyway enough of that. I am now looking for a new GPS system for large vehicles. What do you guys use? I have used a TOMTOM for my Jeep and they use satellites and driver input for live traffic but lack Large vehicle input. Dont trust your Garmin if it says go right here you might end up in a lake or worse.
I use a Rand McNally. Programmed for my RV weight, length and height. Warns of underpasses, curves and road conditions, etc. large screen and has back up cameras. Similar to a tablet.
KBlanchard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps