Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2022, 03:06 PM   #15

Gas Buddy not only helps you find the least expensive fuel in your travels around the country, but they also have a payment card that can save you up to 25 cents per gallon at participating stations. Their card works like a debit card at the pump and is linked to your personal checking account.

Maverik stations can be found throughout the Rocky Mountain West. Their diesel is typically 30-50 cents per gallon less than Love's or Pilot and they have a "nitro" card that gives up to an additional 16 cents per gallon discount at their pumps.
1JetDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2022, 08:00 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by carybosse View Post
I think that most of the Costcos I have seen would not be RV friendly.
I'm not sure what you mean by "RV friendly". The Costcos in our area are RV accessible and their gas facilities are huge with multiple lines serving multiple pumps. They do stop on you after a certain number of gallons (or $?) but, as I recall, you just pay and start over. If it's crowded, I think I'd pull out and get in line again, just to be nice.

You can always check out their satellite photo on Google maps to check accessibility. At least for ours, you can go online and check out how busy they are (check out the sidebar):

https://www.google.com/search?q=cost...hrome&ie=UTF-8
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 08:26 PM   #17

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeTheWay View Post
I'm a fan of Costco Diesel. About 4.80 a gallon and if you keep each charge on the citi bank card under $150.00 you get about 3% back. If you go over $150 you don't anything on the overage. Our costco also sells Propane. So that where we go.
That $150 limit on rebate/rewards is a "NoSale" for us. [200 gallon usable fuel tank, and we are nearly 70' long]
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 11:02 AM   #18

I'm a Sam's Club member and have been since 2006. I usually fill up at Sam's Clubs or Murphy. Unfortunately many Sam's do not have diesel. If you look them up by town on google maps, you can click on the store website link (left side of the map) and the page brought up will have the current price of fuel (reg, unleaded, Diesel if available). According to Gas Buddy, prices at Sam's Club and Murphy tend to be better than other fuel station. I don't know about Costco because the nearest Costco is 250 miles away. Costcos tend to be fewer than Sam's Clubs. Even running US highways, I run into Sam's Clubs.

I top up fuel either the night before or the morning of leaving out (unhooking). When driving, I tend to spend 1 to 2 nights in Sam's Club or Cracker Barrel parking lots and then the next night in a CG/RV Park.
LMHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 01:58 PM   #19

Pilot truck stops seem to carry diesel #2. Loves and the others primarily have b20 biodiesel. The website for each location tells you what they have.

Don’t care what Pilot charges, I go there due to the better fuel…

Costco isn’t practical for a class A diesel rv. They aren’t usually right off the highway, getting in and out is difficult with tons of traffic and plenty of opportunity to hit a car with your rv. And, long lines.

Local Costco diesel price today $5.49. Local Pilot truck stop, without discount card, $5.69.

That saves you a whopping $20 on a full 100 gallons fill up…
bpu699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 06:34 PM   #20

Our COSTCO used to have pretty good pricing ( Houston area). I filled our diesel truck up today at $4.97 a gallon. This station is less than 1/2 from an interstate. As I drive away I noticed a local Exxon station located on the freeway had diesel for $4.99 a gallon. This is the third time COSTCO has saved me a whopping 2-3 cents per gallon. I don't have plans to renew my membership this year, there us simply not enough savings to justify the $60 annual membership cost. I should add we also maintain a Sams membership we use for non fuel purchases.
John.W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 08:13 PM   #21

I can't believe how many folks don't know about Gas Buddy.
Also, most Costcos don't offer diesel. Only a select few.
My Costco is RV friendly and has a big parking lot if I want to ditch the toad to get gas.
They are also doubling the number of gas lines at my local Costco.
Old 06-19-2022, 09:45 PM   #22

Where you folks travel must be different than where we go. I have yet to find a Costco, Sam's, or Walmart that has enough room for me to get fuel without dropping that toad. A lot of Walmart and Sam's have room, if not towing, but would have to back out of fuelinh area. Even if Costco had diesel, they are usually so congested, I would not even try. We use TSD card with good results, and cross check with Gas Buddy and Trucker Path.
Old 06-19-2022, 11:48 PM   #23

[QUOTE=bpu699;6219663]Pilot truck stops seem to carry diesel #2. Loves and the others primarily have b20 biodiesel. The website for each location tells you what they have. [QUOTE]

B20 Biodiesel seems to be concentrated in the midwestern farm states, with very little of it being available in the western states where I do most of my driving. We have done several long-haul trips in diesel powered vehicles over the past two years and never encountered a station selling the biodiesel blend.
1JetDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 09:51 AM   #24

After reading all the responses, Open Roads sounds like a good option. I have a sams club membership, but accessibility and finding sams that do sell diesel, I don’t believe is what I want. I’ve never seen a Costco and know there isn’t one near me so that’s not a viable option either. I do use Gas Buddy but have been mislead a few times by the prices that are posted as opposed to the actual pump price. You have to be certain of where you’re fueling up with a Motorhome and a tow vehicle….not much room, literally, for guess work and mistakes! So, the Open roads I will probably get. Can my gas card be attached to a credit card or is a bank the only option?
BINGHAMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 08:41 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by BINGHAMD View Post
We have a 39’ diesel MH and are traveling from Ms to Pa in July. Not going to cancel, as this time with our family was planned since last year. Gas prices typically get higher going North. Aside from driving at lesser speeds to increase MPG, any Apps that can help with finding better gas prices. I know Loves and Flying J have their member cards, but also their prices are way higher….I guess for convenience off of interstates and truckers fill up using company credit cards. We tow a Jeep, so some places may have lesser prices, but getting into the pump isn’t possible. Just checking to see what others have to say/offer in ideas or suggestions.
The tried and true method of increasing fuel mileage is to drive slower. I normally drove 68-68 MPH, but now I've slowed to 55-60 MPH, put the Allison tranny in ECONO-mode, sit back and relax. That seems to be an increase of 1MPG so far.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 07:16 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
I can't believe how many folks don't know about Gas Buddy.
Also, most Costcos don't offer diesel. Only a select few.
My Costco is RV friendly and has a big parking lot if I want to ditch the toad to get gas.
They are also doubling the number of gas lines at my local Costco.
Your COSTCO in Southlake is actually the one closest to me. I haven't been by there since they re-worked the pumps, but before the change, the entry into the pumps wasn't too bad, the exit required some tight turns for a TT in tow or a MH with a toad. You definitely would want to pick the time of day, and weekends would have a very small window. I have seen some days where a place to drop your Toad may be a problem. I often joke when I join my wife after I drop her off and park, that I parked across the street at the Italian restaurant.

The Sam's Club over on Grapevine Highway, not far from this Costco, is probably decent traffic pattern and seems less crowded that Costco usually. It is usually competitive for price with Costco and there is a Walmart there as well. I believe you can use the Walmart fuel savings program that may beat the Sam's price even.

The Costco in Irving off of Highway 121, while perhaps convenient location, was a disaster for traffic a couple of weeks ago when I went by there and the Costco in south Fort Worth off of Bryant Irving area is also a disaster for traffic patterns usually. Both of those might be okay if you could schedule an appointment and not have to fight traffic.

The COSTCO in Baton Rouge looked pretty good for RV access as I remember, right off of I-12 at Airline Highway exit. It was always the best price for gasoline in Baton Rouge when I checked.

I don't pay enough attention to the diesel availability.
Old 06-21-2022, 09:46 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by carybosse View Post
Your COSTCO in Southlake is actually the one closest to me. I haven't been by there since they re-worked the pumps, but before the change, the entry into the pumps wasn't too bad, the exit required some tight turns for a TT in tow or a MH with a toad. You definitely would want to pick the time of day, and weekends would have a very small window. I have seen some days where a place to drop your Toad may be a problem. I often joke when I join my wife after I drop her off and park, that I parked across the street at the Italian restaurant.

The Sam's Club over on Grapevine Highway, not far from this Costco, is probably decent traffic pattern and seems less crowded that Costco usually. It is usually competitive for price with Costco and there is a Walmart there as well. I believe you can use the Walmart fuel savings program that may beat the Sam's price even.

The Costco in Irving off of Highway 121, while perhaps convenient location, was a disaster for traffic a couple of weeks ago when I went by there and the Costco in south Fort Worth off of Bryant Irving area is also a disaster for traffic patterns usually. Both of those might be okay if you could schedule an appointment and not have to fight traffic.

The COSTCO in Baton Rouge looked pretty good for RV access as I remember, right off of I-12 at Airline Highway exit. It was always the best price for gasoline in Baton Rouge when I checked.

I don't pay enough attention to the diesel availability.
The gas station is still closed right now to expand the number of pumps.
Since I live close by, I don't have the toad with me when I get gas there.
The mailing address of this website is right around the corner from there.

You park at Buca di Beppo?

Sam's Club gas is not Top Tier and I don't have a Sam's card.
I very seldom stop at Costcos as they are not on the main roads that we travel.

The Costco in Tallahassee is very easy in and out. We stopped at the Costco in Bakersfield off 99 and that was very tight leaving. Never again.
Old 06-21-2022, 07:43 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
The gas station is still closed right now to expand the number of pumps.
Since I live close by, I don't have the toad with me when I get gas there.
The mailing address of this website is right around the corner from there.

You park at Buca di Beppo?

Sam's Club gas is not Top Tier and I don't have a Sam's card.
I very seldom stop at Costcos as they are not on the main roads that we travel.

The Costco in Tallahassee is very easy in and out. We stopped at the Costco in Bakersfield off 99 and that was very tight leaving. Never again.
I've burned Sams Club gas for years in my Silverado 5.3 engine and the engine has always stumbleed when given more throttle.
Because it was convenient, I filled up at a BP station then drove 100 miles and back on business. The 5.3 engine ran great and any throttle hesitation was gone. IMO it is well worth the extra 7 cents a gallon.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas