Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2022, 09:24 AM   #1

Gas prices and ways to save

We have a 39’ diesel MH and are traveling from Ms to Pa in July. Not going to cancel, as this time with our family was planned since last year. Gas prices typically get higher going North. Aside from driving at lesser speeds to increase MPG, any Apps that can help with finding better gas prices. I know Loves and Flying J have their member cards, but also their prices are way higher….I guess for convenience off of interstates and truckers fill up using company credit cards. We tow a Jeep, so some places may have lesser prices, but getting into the pump isn’t possible. Just checking to see what others have to say/offer in ideas or suggestions.
BINGHAMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2022, 09:28 AM   #2

Costco seems to be consistently less expensive, at least in our area, so mapping out those that are reasonably accessible might be a plan. If you're not a member, the gas savings alone will pay for the membership. Early mornings are best for access.

The silver lining in all this is that it might relieve the pressure on campground availability.
Old 06-15-2022, 09:36 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You may want to look at the Open Roads (aka: TSD) Program and the Mudflap App
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 10:53 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by BINGHAMD View Post
We have a 39’ diesel MH and are traveling from Ms to Pa in July. Just checking to see what others have to say/offer in ideas or suggestions.

Fill up before you enter PA. They are usually about $ .60 higher than WV or OH. Gas buddy will give you a good look before discounts. Second the Open Roads card. Easy to use and truck lanes are much easier than trying to pull around cars.
Old 06-15-2022, 11:35 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Gas Buddy!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 12:02 PM   #6

The TSD Open Roads card has saved us hundreds in the last 20,000 miles. Another sure way to save is to slow down. Wind resistance on a 40' square box goes up exponentially above 60 mph.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 12:21 PM   #7

I use Gasbuddy.

I think that most of the Costcos I have seen would not be RV friendly. That said, Costco and Sams seem to be the best place for gasoline. (I can't speak to diesel.)

I paid $4.49 per gallon yesterday at Sam's Club when most stations were showing $4.89 range. It was only my wife's Nissan, just 12 gallons, but I would say the fuel savings i have seen from Sam's has more than paid for my membership already this year. Costco is a little less convenient, so it may not be quite there on paying for membership.
Old 06-15-2022, 01:39 PM   #8

I started the application to join Open Roads, but got a little anxious when it asked for my SSN. Any input on this?
BINGHAMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 06:28 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by BINGHAMD View Post
I started the application to join Open Roads, but got a little anxious when it asked for my SSN. Any input on this?

I know someone that made up a number and it’s been working fine for me the last three years. The last 4 of the social is used for the authorization. Any four numbers will work, you just have to remember them.
Old 06-16-2022, 11:26 AM   #10

For me, it's not a big deal. There are many entities that you do business with that already have your SS# and some of their employees could get it if they wanted. TSD has had mine for two years and no problems. If you were going to give someone a line of credit for fuel, wouldn't you want all their info in case of default?
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 12:25 PM   #11

Filling that big tank...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gas prices.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	153.5 KB
ID:	368477  
Old 06-16-2022, 12:45 PM   #12

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
You may want to look at the Open Roads (aka: TSD) Program and the Mudflap App
TIMES TWO!!!!
The TSD uses an issued card which is tie'd directly to a bank account, and takes a week or so to make the bank connections then wait on the snail mail to deliver the fuel card..
The Mudflap APP can be tie'd to your bank debit card OR, You can tie direct to your bank account for an additional 2 cents a gallon savings.
Note !! The Mudflap APP is down loaded onto Your phone after listing how you want it to deduct the payment [either list your debit card [which is immediately up and use able ] or your bank account which may take a week or so to tie in..
The savings amount with either the Open Roads or the Mudflap app depends on the current price & the fuel margins..And may vary day to day.

My 1st fill up with the Mudflap App saved me 47 cents a gallon on a 180 gallon fill [$84.60 savings]
saddlesore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 02:42 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Drive slower, but don't drive too slow you need to be in your top gear with OD.

slower acceleration and anticipate your slow downs and stops, coast more.

Use gas buddy to find fuel prices along your trip and fill up at the lower price stations.

Use discount cards and rewards to reduce your overall cost.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 02:52 PM   #14

I'm a fan of Costco Diesel. About 4.80 a gallon and if you keep each charge on the citi bank card under $150.00 you get about 3% back. If you go over $150 you don't anything on the overage. Our costco also sells Propane. So that where we go.

Tags
gas