Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2021, 04:34 PM   #57

Gas station etiquette

Kind of new to all this. I have gassed up a few times here in South Florida. I have a 38 DP and pull to the pump, park and have to walk a good ways to the inside attendant to pay. You can't pay at the pump when at the trucker diesel spots. So, I have seen trucks sitting "parked" for a bit. But I am guessing once inside, the temptation to get a soda or use restroom is needed. Just learning the ropes.
PWechsler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2021, 04:38 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Stang View Post
I experienced this issue when I had a gas coach. No problems now since I have a diesel. I do not fill up at the front pumps anymore. It helps my blood pressure to use the big pumps out back.
People who have a Gas Motorhome CAN NOT fuel up at the Diesel pumps. As a courtesy to RVers they should have dual diesel/gas at a couple of truck pumps
FL Retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 04:40 PM   #59

Entegra Owners Club
In Tulsa, OK last week went to a Sam’s for supplies and because diesel fuel was $2.90! That was $.48 less than the least expensive station in the area. I was at the end of trip and the station was mostly empty when I arrived. It took a while to pump the 117 gallons I needed at $100 increments. I had disconnected the toad and usually have no issues maneuvering around these stations. By the time I was ready to go everyone must have gotten off work because the station was crowded. So crowded that the incoming cars were pulled into the exit, blocking cars and me from leaving. After a few minutes some cars moved forward enough to let the three cars in front of me squeeze out and I moved up in turn, but couldn’t get out. By this time the exit was full of cars entering the station and it spilled out into the street. These cars were trying to pull into any open spot by cutting the line entering through the exit lane. Asking the two cars directly in front of me (facing the wrong direction) to move got me close to the exit but as fast as possible another car entered. By this time cars are backed up behind me, also trying to exit. I decided my only option was to move forward as far as possible so as to give the line jumper no choice except to back out and let us exit. Talk about inconsiderate. I know some will say that’s what I get for going to Sam’s, but when I arrived there were empty pumps.
Berryfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 04:44 PM   #60

Pump Pinheads

Yup, Pump Pinheads. At times in AZ, nearly 75% of the pump islands are filled with idle vehicles. Not pumping fuel or even around the car at all. Sometimes they are in the store for so long, you can't imagine what the heck are they doing. It was pointed out to me that the gas station could care less. The money is made INSIDE the store, not the 2 cents a gallon on the fuel OUTSIDE.
astrungis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 04:47 PM   #61

As to gas station etiquette? Ran into that problem once or twice. First time about a 10 minute wait while the customer gassed, bought snacks, got back in the car and started talking on her phone. Finally realized I was behind her and moved out. She was waiting for someone to join her. The next time, after about 20 minutes of no activity, went into the station - told an attendant there was an apparently abandoned vehicle at pump #4. Didn’t take too long for them to track down the owner in the restaurant and square the situation up. I’m a patient, tolerant person
but 20 minutes of no activity whatsoever was cause for action. Didn’t get a smile from the owner, either! Darn!
Willyjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 04:51 PM   #62

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWechsler View Post
Kind of new to all this. I have gassed up a few times here in South Florida. I have a 38 DP and pull to the pump, park and have to walk a good ways to the inside attendant to pay. You can't pay at the pump when at the trucker diesel spots. So, I have seen trucks sitting "parked" for a bit. But I am guessing once inside, the temptation to get a soda or use restroom is needed. Just learning the ropes.

You can pay on the app. We use Pilot and TA apps and you can pay on the app instead of going in to pay the attendant. If you get one of the fleet cards that accept RV drivers, you can use one of those at the pump also.

On the other hand, those krispy kremes...
Old 11-18-2021, 05:04 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandalVV View Post
We just completed a 7900 mile 20 state RV trip. I must say that I was appalled by fellow RVers at gas stations. I have a gas motorhome with a road and try to use Google maps satellite view to scout out the best pump location before pulling in. Often times the best pump is the end pump and other motorhomes or trailers are using that pump. At least 50 percent of the time, they are done pumping gas but someone from the rig is inside buying something and the rig just sits there waiting and blocking the pump. I have had to sit and wait up to 15 minutes while they are waiting. Even going up to the person and asking them if they could move was met with a sneer and no movement. There was plenty of open space to pull in and wait. Please people, be considerate of your fellow RVers.
Ironically, we completed a 7100 mile 23 state RV trip earlier this year. We experienced the exact same thing in multiple states and at different brand stations. It was usually cars and trucks, not RVs. We waited for a 10 - 15 minutes for one car on an end pump to move and finally gave up and went to an inside pump. We filled up and left and the car was still sitting there. The worst part is, they breed.

Stay safe, Joe
HarleyRider7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 05:07 PM   #64

Send a message via AIM to Conchasjim Send a message via Yahoo to Conchasjim
Well, if I'm spending several hundred dollars for fuel and I want to go inside shopping, I'm going to do just that! Sorry, but I was here first. Your welcome to use any of the other pumps, and rush off if your so inclined.
Oh, by the way I use diesel.
Conchasjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 05:10 PM   #65

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandalVV View Post
We just completed a 7900 mile 20 state RV trip. I must say that I was appalled by fellow RVers at gas stations. I have a gas motorhome with a road and try to use Google maps satellite view to scout out the best pump location before pulling in. Often times the best pump is the end pump and other motorhomes or trailers are using that pump. At least 50 percent of the time, they are done pumping gas but someone from the rig is inside buying something and the rig just sits there waiting and blocking the pump. I have had to sit and wait up to 15 minutes while they are waiting. Even going up to the person and asking them if they could move was met with a sneer and no movement. There was plenty of open space to pull in and wait. Please people, be considerate of your fellow RVers.

Self Importance and disregard for the needs or wants of others, seems to be an attitude that infects a good percentage of the American population now-a-days. Not sure if there is a "Fix" for such Selfishness.
Old 11-18-2021, 05:14 PM   #66

Unfortunately -

Unfortunately, anti-social behavior will continue to the next generation as bad parents teach their kids the same. I made my kids say yes sir, yes mam, thank you and please. I'm now teaching my grandkids the same, as my son-in-law seems oblivious to teaching politeness. :-(
appsptspcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 05:16 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfoxy View Post
Some of the truckers are just as bad, particularly if they see a motorhome waiting behind them.
Been using the diesel pumps at truck stops for 20 yrs. Can count on one hand the number of times a driver didn’t pull up or pulled up and took a long time inside. We’ve always found them to be nice & even ask questions about our motorhome and travels. We are very conscientious. We use cards that allow us to pay at the pump. Rarely do we even pull up & park unless we are changing drivers or husband (who does fueling) needs to take a potty break. Never holding up anyone behind us. If we want to go into the store/restaurant we find a spot to park in the back.
Dutchstar53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 05:16 PM   #68

Etiquette

Relax Francis, perhaps they needed theirs receipt before someone behind them reset the pump. I have been to many gas stations that do not refill the paper for receipts making the customer go into the store to get one. Totally defeating the purpose of paying at the pump, especially during the pandemic or China flue whatever your perspective is on it.
3014oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 05:21 PM   #69

I enjoy the people with a small gas car pulled up at a gas/diesel pump when there are 12 empty gas pumps. Then the only 4 pumps are filled with these little .... So you get to wait while they go in to buy their whatever. Usually some blonde in her Honda car. BTW I now believe there is God. A week ago going through Phoenix blonde in her Honda car was using the carpool lane for passing us lower Slobobians. A few miles down the road she was pouting on the side of the road, getting a ticket from a trooper. Yea!
MingusPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 05:24 PM   #70

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3014oliver View Post
Relax Francis, perhaps they needed theirs receipt before someone behind them reset the pump. I have been to many gas stations that do not refill the paper for receipts making the customer go into the store to get one. Totally defeating the purpose of paying at the pump, especially during the pandemic or China flue whatever your perspective is on it.

The apps give you a receipt on your phone immediately and will email it to you if you want it. You can go back and see all of the receipts for fuel that you've ever had if that's your thing.

Tags
gas