Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2011, 08:15 AM   #1

gas treatments

Hi everyone,
We are about to head out for a few days up in Maine and then its home to do the winterization trick for another year. We have a 22 ft BTCruiser on a Ford E350, V10.
As a part of the winterization process I have always topped off the gas tank, assuming that it was better to have gas in there rather than air.
However, I am now hearing a lot about the problems created because of the alcohol that is now in the gas, its tendency to absorb water, and to then foul the fuel delivery system and to cause the engine numerous other problems.
I had assumed that adding a fuel stabilizer , like stabl, would cure the problem. However, I have also recently been told by a couple of mechanics that that is not necessarily the case if the gas is going to sit for a long time. Our vehicle will be sitting from mid October to early January when, I hope we will be heading south.
Anyone have any input on this issue? What do you do about the gas when you winterize?
Thanks,
Don
don springhetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2011, 08:32 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have used Sta-Bil for 5 months at a time and the motor started right up when it was time to leave. It seems to work for the generator too. I put it in, top off with gas and run it for at least 15 minutes to make sure it gets to the motor and generator. Plan to do it again this winter.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:21 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've been very happy with Star Tron...and the bottle is simple to use.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:34 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Stabil and a full or at least close to full tank is the way I have done it in RV, boat and anything else that runs on gasoline and gets stored for any length of time. Our boat and DP both have water separators, I'm not sure why they have never been used on autos.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 06:00 PM   #5

Stabil, works on all my gasoline stuff. I am sure there are other products out there that work just as well, one that comes to mind is the Sea-Foam line of products.
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 06:10 PM   #6

sta-bil

sta-bil is good stuff, great for extending the life of gas. It is kinda expensive and doesn't need to be used for less than 90 days storage. If longer than that, the label says it is good for another 90 days. My experience is that it makes gas last for about 9 mos.
rapturequick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:23 PM   #7

Stabil will keep fuel safe for 12 months at the normal dose of 1 oz for 2 1/2 gals of fuel. You can go up to a maximum of 24 months by doubling the dose.
I have used it for years with every engine in my garage, Generataor, pressure washer and lawn equip. I always keep the fuel tank as full as possible so no moisture can get on the inside of the tank. On my home backup generator, I drain the fuel each year and then put this fuel in my auto's. Then put fresh fuel in the tank with Sta-bil additive and run the engine so as to get fresh fuel and Sta-bil into the carburetor. I live in a high humidity area of the country and years ago rusted several fuel tanks and gummed up a few carburetors before I was educated. I am now a raving fan of Sta-bil.

Rod
2002 Bounder Diesel
pilot737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:34 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Does anyone know if Sta Bil is good to use in hot season storage? Like in summer time in Az.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:21 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
If, and I believe it to be true, the ethanol attracts moisture, there will be less moisture to attract if the tank is full. As the moisture is in the air, the less air space, the less moisture.

Peter 2000 32W Bounder V10
Peterd503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:34 AM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I was also told by a generator tech that its better to use the StaBil Marine formula. It is about triple the concentration and and it is blue in color instead of red. I found it at O'Reilly's for about $10.00 that treats 80 gallons. My fuel tank is 75 gallons so it is perfect. I use the red Stabil for the lawn mower, house generator, pressure washer, without any problems.

| O'Reilly Auto Parts

I see it a lot of places for over $20.00. If you can, its only 9.99 at O'Reilly's Auto and if you get it on sale, it's 6.99....which I did and bought several of them at that price.
Old 10-29-2011, 02:50 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
i have been using sea foam for several years with good results.
the price of sea foam marine keeps going up, about $10 now at wally world.
wally world has marine star tron for less and it treats more fuel per bottle so i am going to try it.
i drain my genny's float bowl every time when i get home and park my moho.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 10:06 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
Stabil and a full or at least close to full tank is the way I have done it in RV, boat and anything else that runs on gasoline and gets stored for any length of time.
Same here. If it was a diesel, I'd ad a biocide.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 03:35 PM   #13

I discussed that same question with the folks at the Ford motorhome chassis hotline back when we first bought our Triton V-10, 13 years ago. They suggested that I always park with a full fuel tank, treating it with a quality fuel stabilizer and then driving for about 20 minutes to get it completely through the system. They said to then park it and do not start the engine again until just a week or less before travel for a quick test run. I asked about Sta-Bil and also SeaFoam and they say that both are approved.

I have been doing that using StaBil now simce 1999 and our rig has sat for periods of up to four or five months that way. To this time there has never once been the slightest problem with fuel issues. Like others, I also use StaBil in lawn mowers and other gasoline powered equipment.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:53 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ethanol

Stabil now has out a product for ethanol. I have use the marine stabil for years in my fuel for the lawn mower, chain saw etc. and have not had a problem. This is my first year with a motorhome and I did put it in the fuel.
I wish you did not have to buy gas with ethanol. I have checked my mileage out for over the past 2 years in my cars and found that my mileage dropped over 10 % when I use ethanol. If you use more fuel then I see no reduction on the dependence to the oil companies but just more tax dollars being used to support the ethanol industries.
cbdeajr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas