Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2015, 06:21 AM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis_K View Post
I use Pilot/Flying J 99% of the time. I rarely have any issues other than inconsiderate people at the pump. I pre-plan my fuel stops whenever possible making sure the station has an RV island. But the key is using the Good Sam / Pilot/Flying J "RV PLUS" charge card. Since I got one I have never had to go inside the store, I can always fill up (max $1000), I can use the truck lanes if I want, and I get a 7 cent/gal discount.
Same here! the RV Plus card is hassle free. I never use the RV lanes and Pilot is just as easy. Yes, sometimes there's a wait behind a 18 wheeler but the drivers are always respectful and many ask intuitive questions. get the Plus card, saves time and money.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2015, 07:06 AM   #30

We also use Flying J or Pilot as often as possible. The Plus card works great and we always use the truck lane. The card does a transfer from our checking account every billing cycle along with a e-mail on the amount due. Works like a charm and we get a discount too. There are times when we are on the road and we will overnight there at no cost. We try to find a spot where we can put one side of the slides out.
waterboy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 04:19 PM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Curious why you would use the RV plus charge card (.04/gas, .06/diesel off a gallon) when you could use the PenFed Visa which gives 5% back? Even with today's lower prices, say, $2.50/gallon, that's 12.5 cents/gall off, bringing the price per gallon down to $2.375/gallon. Are there other benefits I'm not seeing?
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 05:12 PM   #32

Well guys, the OP was discussing FJ and GAS motorhomes. So now everybody's jumping in defending their use of the truck lanes which have only diesel. Talk about getting off topic.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 05:19 PM   #33

No flying j for us. They are too over priced and too busy for me.
bailiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 06:00 PM   #34

First choice Costco (even when crowded, we have had excellent help and service from the attendants.) Second choice Flying J (with the RV Plus card thru Good Sam, the credit card issues seemed to disappear and the RV lanes are nice) Pilots rarely have room at the gas pumps (interesting that Costcos almost always are RV friendly and Pilots are not) so we generally will skip Pilots. If none of those are available, I start searching on gas buddy and hope to find a place we can get in and out of.
MrsChilerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 05:56 AM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
Curious why you would use the RV plus charge card (.04/gas, .06/diesel off a gallon) when you could use the PenFed Visa which gives 5% back? Even with today's lower prices, say, $2.50/gallon, that's 12.5 cents/gall off, bringing the price per gallon down to $2.375/gallon. Are there other benefits I'm not seeing?
Convenient. No hassle. Don't go in to pay. Easy in an out for a 65 ft. Rig with tow. Not worth two bucks for me personally. Safety the main reason.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 06:08 AM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Costco great gas prices but Flying J more convenient. Never had a problem.

bowpulpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 06:14 AM   #37

We use Pilot/FlyingJ exclusively, we're not gas so our choice of refueling is definitely small. We are Good Sam Lifetime members and have the credit card. We NEVER have to go inside to have the pump turned on, swipe tbe card, pump and leave! We save 8cents off the cash price that adds up fast. I choose not to stand in line behind someone that can't make up their mind between chicken or pizza!
Old 09-17-2015, 02:31 PM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
Well guys, the OP was discussing FJ and GAS motorhomes. So now everybody's jumping in defending their use of the truck lanes which have only diesel. Talk about getting off topic.

It doesn't matter what the original topic is, if FJ is even remotely related to it, the thread always goes in the same direction and ends in the same place. It's about the most predictable phenomenon in nature, unless we mention wallydocking. Get a thread going with both of those topics involved and I suspect a black hole will open.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 06:25 AM   #39

Tiffin Owners Club
Gassers clearly second class

To get back on topic, yes gasser are second class. I had one once and would have to agree with OP.
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 06:35 AM   #40

I really don't understand the "second class thing". What is second class about a gasoline engine motorhome? The ones I have seen at shows are pretty darn nice. If you are referring to gas stations, (I won't mention Flying J) I fill up right next to the gas coaches. If I am next to a gas powered coach I always say Hi and talk to them. What is second class?
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 06:43 AM   #41

I'm sorry, but this is kinda like me complaining that gas stations are not setup for my 43ft mh. The rv islands ARE setup for gas mh's. One must remember it is a truckstop and their number one customer are trucks, rv's and cars are second.
Old 09-18-2015, 06:57 AM   #42

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
I really don't understand the "second class thing". What is second class about a gasoline engine motorhome? The ones I have seen at shows are pretty darn nice. If you are referring to gas stations, (I won't mention Flying J) I fill up right next to the gas coaches. If I am next to a gas powered coach I always say Hi and talk to them. What is second class?
Your joking ...right..!
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, gas