RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2017, 11:37 AM   #1

Rexhall Owners Group
Gel coat Oxidation?

Can anyone give me some tips on what to use to clean oxidation from gel coat? I have been reading and looking at videos and it seems there are many ways.
But not sure which is best. Thought I would come hear and ask what has worked for you. Maybe some ideas of products and also what to use after removal.

Thanks so much
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2017, 11:44 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
This works:

http://www.meguiars.com/en/marine/pr...ation-remover/
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 11:48 AM   #3

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/megui...2?recordNum=33
Old 07-12-2017, 12:43 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Most any of the Gel Coat/ Paint restorers that have a polishing compound will work, however what is needed most is a good random orbit polisher with Polishing and finishing pads. Not to the advertising but I got a good one from Harbor Freight for about 50 bucks and it works better than the 250 dollar Portercable Polisher I have and it is much lighter and easier on the mussels while using.
Old 07-12-2017, 02:01 PM   #5

Rexhall Owners Group
Thanks guys for the links and the suggestion of getting an orbital polisher. I do appreciate the help.

Looking forward to getting started on the Aerbus.
Old 07-12-2017, 02:38 PM   #6

Clay cloth....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 03:03 PM   #7

Here is a product I used last year on a recommendation from someone I know who works for the company. I followed it up with their RV polish and then a good coat of plain carnauba wax.

Premium Cleaner Wax with PTEF

Premium RV Polish

The proof is in the picture. This is a shot of just one coat of the cleaner. I used an old Craftsman polisher that I picked up at a garage sale. I had to go over the unit twice with the cleaner as my unit hadn't been "really" cleaned in a LONG time.

Best thing of it all is that the shine lasted. All I had to do was wax this year...
Attached Images

Old 07-15-2017, 07:08 AM   #8

What I used to strip off old graphics and remove oxidation. Compounding, polished & waxed entire MH. (See post# 2)
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/faded...ml#post3566666
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 08:07 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by macandphyl View Post
Meguiars Marine/RV Fiberglass Oxidation Remover product does work very well. I was able to rid the oxidation from my TT in a single application with a orbital buffer. Just make sure you follow up with a very good fiberglass wax.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 08:19 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
I had a 12 ft service truck with a fiberglass spartan body that was very oxidized, I used gel-gloss rv wash and wax, with very ,very hot water. Turned the driveway white because all the oxidation ran off. Use a soft bristle brush, after 3 washes like this, truck body looked almost new,(almost). I was very happy with results. Use it all the time and you will see less and less white in the driveway, and body will look better and better. Hot water is a must to achieve these results.

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
rapid rick is offline   Reply With Quote