Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2020, 06:02 PM   #1

Generator issue I guaranty no one else has ever had...

Onan 7500 marquis gold diesel... runs great, rebuilt 2 years ago by prior owner when electrical converter failed...

Went to change the oil, had some lumps come out... figured it was sludge...

Looked in the drain oil pan... there were 2 dead wasps and a small caterpillar...

Huh?

Air filter is on... how the hell would that get into the crank case?

Got in during the rebuild? Is there a crankcase vent?

Ran fresh oil, drained again... no more insects...
bpu699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2020, 06:41 PM   #2

I'm sure that Cummins would not like the idea of a catapiller being in their generator.
-B
Full time RVer since 4/2016. Newmar Mountain Aire 4523 - Jeep Rubicon - Harley FLTCR - 2022 F450 Platinum, 2022 Momentum 351MS-R with Curt Flex Air hitch and MORryde IS - Also considering a Polaris General 4 Seater and a Can Am Spyder RT
BrokeDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 06:46 PM   #3

And you found out none can swim.....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 06:57 PM   #4

I don't think the air filter would have anything to do with insects in the oil sump. If it does, you've got a hole in a piston or something else terribly wrong. I'm thinking the "caterpillar" was actually a wasp larva, and yes I agree it probably got in there during the rebuilding process. I doubt that wasps like living in a crankcase. I would chalk it up to one of those inexplicable life experiences and move on. If it happens again I would call Ripley's Believe it or Not.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 07:28 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I think you should call the oil company and tell them there were bugs in your oil, just like someone does when they're in their food. Maybe you'll get some free oil!

It's surprising that the oil pump didn't chew them up. Are you sure they weren't in your drain pan when you started?
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 07:48 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Take a picture of the oil drain line? I suspect the wasp had built a nest in the drain line and not in the actual oil/crankcase itself?

My generator, I have valve to open for oil to drain. I could see a wasp building a next in that line.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 06:15 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Take a picture of the oil drain line? I suspect the wasp had built a nest in the drain line and not in the actual oil/crankcase itself?

My generator, I have valve to open for oil to drain. I could see a wasp building a next in that line.
yep makes sense, i looked at few videos and diagrams, there is a drain valve and a hose that hangs down, perfect house for little critters..
sibe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 07:37 AM   #8

I believe it’s a Kubota motor. There is no oil drain line, plug is on the bottom of the crankcase...

I also wondered if they were in the oil drain pan to start with, but doubt it as it’s just a simple aluminum pan and I saw “stuff” coming out...

Can’t imagine it would hurt anything as usually a sump pick up goes through the oil filter before going further...

But that was weird... and they will well preserved...
Old 10-11-2020, 07:43 AM   #9
YC1

Those monsters build everywhere. I keep a can of wasp spray in my sight distance most of the time around here. Pee hole on my boat engine is a favorite. Pulled the lower unit off to rebuild the water pump once. It was fine. Wasp had filled the little tattle tale hole.

I find bugs in my lawn tractor gas tank all the time. The darn things crawl into the fill spout and then get washed into the tank when filling. Amazing they can stand to live in those things.

I am amazed but no longer surprised.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 09:56 AM   #10

They probably got in through the crankcase vent.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 01:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaNick View Post
They probably got in through the crankcase vent.
That’s what I thought but for the life of me I done see one, unless you have to take the entire covering off... usually wasps seem to find openings that are obvious... for example, found a wasps nest also in my black tank vent...

Would be a lot of fun to get bit in my *** .

Tags
generator