Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2008, 07:38 PM   #1

Greetings All,
I have a Generac Series Q-55G generator on a 1999 Sea View M-8331 chassis. According to the troubleshooting guide one of the causes of the problem can be relay CR1 or CR2. My generator's manual electrical drawing does not include these two relays on the drawing. Does anyone know the location of these relays? I did locate some relays at the very front under the engine access hatch for the fluid levels, but the're not marked.
Thanks,
Warren

1998 Jeep Wrangler
Warren&Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2008, 07:38 PM   #2

Greetings All,
I have a Generac Series Q-55G generator on a 1999 Sea View M-8331 chassis. According to the troubleshooting guide one of the causes of the problem can be relay CR1 or CR2. My generator's manual electrical drawing does not include these two relays on the drawing. Does anyone know the location of these relays? I did locate some relays at the very front under the engine access hatch for the fluid levels, but the're not marked.
Thanks,
Warren

1998 Jeep Wrangler
Old 07-15-2008, 04:46 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Can't help with the location, but what sort of problem and what do these relays supposedly do?

Generators usually have remote start relays, supplied by the coach builder and therefore not shown on the generator schematic.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 08:27 AM   #4

Hi Gary,
Thanks for your interest. I will try to share with you the symptoms I have noticed. The primary problem is that the generator will start normally and after a minute or so will shut off. Once it shuts off it will crank normally but it doesn't want to start again. FYI, I have plenty of gas in the tank, plenty of oil in the generator, the unit is not overheating and the fuel pump appears to be working OK. Now this problem has occurred several times and by disconnecting and reconnecting the protective circuit associated with oil flow and engine temp I have been able to get the unit to restart and run normally. Once I get it to restart it will start, stop and run normally until I decide to start and move the motorhome. If I move the motorhome the generator will start normally and shut down as previously described. I know this sounds crazy but this is basically what's happening.
According to the Generac Owner's Manual, control relays CR1 & CR2 appear to be associated with the start and stop functions of generator operation. I suspect an intermittent control/protective circuit problem because once I get the generator running it runs and operates normally.
Any insights you can share on this problem will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks again,
Warren

1998 Jeep Wrangler
Old 07-18-2008, 09:29 AM   #5

This may be of no help but...

We have a NP-75D (diesel...and a noisy thing it is... ) Generac unit in our coach. When I start it, I have a pre-heat (glowplugs) function that also primes either the pump or the injectors or both(I can hear the solenoid engage and the fuel pump run). I have to press the pre-heat switch for about 20 seconds and then while keeping it pressed, press the start switch.

It always starts and then when either switch is released, it promptly dies. When I do this the second time, it stays running. This is the S.O.P. on our Generac unit. I do not know if it is supposed to work this way but that is how we use it. Perhaps we have a fuel prime issue. That is why I am thinking that on your gas coach, you would have a solenoid to run your Generac fuel pump and one to energize the solenoid for the starter.

Call the following number. They are an authorized Generac dealer/repair facility and the parts guy knows his stuff.

Schwalm & Associates
Chino, CA
(909) 591-4341