Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2016, 02:08 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
You could never touch the quality of what you have for only 1700. It's installed, no lugging it around.
It's got 700 hours on it, virtually nothing. Obviously they have to pull it, hence $1000 labor. Might as well get belts hoses and thermostat.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2016, 04:13 PM   #16

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would research and watch videos on replacing the part myself. 700 hours is nothing on that generator.
Sagamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 05:36 PM   #17

I'm telling you, it's not that hard to replace. In fact if you get the part from Flight Systems, it comes with instructions.

Come on, live a little, you can do it. Don't let a simple girl do something a self proclaimed "BadBoy" won't try.

Kaye
Afubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 05:48 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
You could never touch the quality of what you have for only 1700. It's installed, no lugging it around.
It's got 700 hours on it, virtually nothing. Obviously they have to pull it, hence $1000 labor. Might as well get belts hoses and thermostat.
In fact, to replace the voltage regulator, you don't need to pull the generator. On the small panel on the right side where the start button is, remove the four screws, unplug the remote start cables (if you have that option) on the right side of the box, pull front of start button panel off. The circuit board located there on the panel, the voltage regulator is located right there in the housing behind it. Unplug old, plug in the new, replace panel front, plug in the remote cables and there you have it. Certainly not a thousand dollars worth of work.

But what do I know, I'm just a girl. (Giggle)

Kaye
Afubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 06:24 PM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
You are not "just a girl". You are a girl that does not like to be taken for a ride. I have changed a couple of dozen regulators. Never removed a generator to do it. This is highway robbery. First I would remove the plastic guard and take a "booger hook" (carter key extractor tool) and snap the brushes several times. Use a 2 1/2 pencil eraser to clean the slip rings. If I still had no power, I would replace the regulator. Then congratulate myself for not being robbed.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:11 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBoy View Post
I already tried shopping around, there is literally nobody around that will touch a generator, they all seem to focus on lawn mowers.

Last year I overheard a tech refer to my "Onan" as an "Oh No!" 😳

Techs don't seem to like these. I'll see if I can get that quote down. Hmmm

Name: Jason
(99 Fleetwood Southwind 32v)

Since you didn't fill out your profile I don't where in this tiny wee country you are.

If you were close I'd say you're welcome to use my PointMan diagnostic tool, or I could point you to a few local independent shops who specialize in generators.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:45 AM   #21
Community Moderator

don't know much about onan but guess it's similar with my powertech. i bought the regulator for $220 and put it on by myself. it's a piece of cake. can't you diy?
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 02:09 PM   #22
jrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afubar View Post
In fact, to replace the voltage regulator, you don't need to pull the generator. On the small panel on the right side where the start button is, remove the four screws, unplug the remote start cables (if you have that option) on the right side of the box, pull front of start button panel off. The circuit board located there on the panel, the voltage regulator is located right there in the housing behind it. Unplug old, plug in the new, replace panel front, plug in the remote cables and there you have it. Certainly not a thousand dollars worth of work.

But what do I know, I'm just a girl. (Giggle)

Kaye
You go girl!! Love the attitude! I would also try doing it myself. Take some pictures during the take down/out as backup. Also check youtube which might have some info.
jrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 02:20 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
did mine and ain't a girl.. ASAP parts
Safe-T-Plus
Pa Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 02:28 PM   #24

Thanks guys! We were kinda rushed to get it done, so sadly I was at their mercy!

Cummins Diesel/Onan got me for $1600 repair bill to diagnose & replace the voltage regulator and clean the slip rings.

Name: Jason
(99 Fleetwood Southwind 32v)

Prior: 97 Ford Dutchman (31 Ft, Class-C)
BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator