Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2021, 11:58 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Unhappy Generator Repair/Maintenance

Just some FYI!
Learned an expensive lesson on my gas generator ( had diesel before ).
MUST start & run every couple weeks to keep the carburetor from gumming up!
Never had any issue with my previous diesel in 20 years, but had the gas gum up ( won't start any more) and had to have the carb rebuilt.....Very Expensive!
PaceArrow06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2021, 12:51 PM   #2

We winterize our 5500 Onan gas with Seafoam/Stabil before each winter around
Nov 1. Start it again around May 1. Runs like a champ, never had an issue. Perhaps it’s the quality of fuel you had.
bobmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 01:02 PM   #3

I had to install fuel shut off on mine ... less than 10.00 bucks 30mins.. just shut breakers off and then fuel off.. let eng run out of fuel..
Some will say not 100 % .. but what is.. I do the same on my jd318.. it works.. you are just running fuel out of main jet.. that is what gets gummed up.. sometimes I add carb cleaner to tank.. that helps.. but kinda hard on fp.. so not too much..
Seafoam is great for storage.. so yes.. proper care for gen is best..
So about how much did you get charged ?
Good luck and keep us posted
Old 12-11-2021, 01:11 PM   #4

onan 5500 generator knock off carb 53 bucks on amazon
worth a try.
jeanluc001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 03:32 PM   #5

A fuel stabilizer will make all the difference. I've used it in all my small engines that sit during the winter and they've always started right up in the spring.

Running a generator under load once a month is recommended. That will help too.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 09:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceArrow06 View Post
Just some FYI!

Learned an expensive lesson on my gas generator ( had diesel before ).

MUST start & run every couple weeks to keep the carburetor from gumming up!

Never had any issue with my previous diesel in 20 years, but had the gas gum up ( won't start any more) and had to have the carb rebuilt.....Very Expensive!

I fixed an Onan Marquis that we were told needed a rebuilt carb by spraying Onan 4C up through the bowl drain fitting, and letting it sit for half a day, draining it, then doing it again. The first time I drained it it was black, the second time it was much cleaner, and it ran great afterwards. 4C is no longer available, but doing the same thing with Seafoam might work as well, but you've already had it rebuilt so...

I try to run my Onan 4k at least every few weeks, and turn on the AC for a little while. I still have almost a full can of 4C as well.
tap4154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 09:48 AM   #7

If you can't fix it by spraying inside the carb drain then remove it, disassemble and soak overnight in a can of carburetor cleaner. Always works for me.

And with a carburetor drain fitting, drain the bowl for winter storage. Will take a while to prime in the spring, but it should not gum up if drained. That is what I do with my portable Honda generator.

David
DavidEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 11:18 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
WHAT is the 4c? Cummins page for Onan does not find it in a search :-( I Never heard of it. Further, there is a youtube Onan procedure for using SEAFOAM to clena up your carb; maybe worth searching? BUT... My rig 21-yo original carb, I strongly suspect from reading many posts that INTERMITTENT/ FAILING FUEL PUMP is Often Mis-diagnosed as a bad $300 carb?... then later pump is replaced...
Old 12-14-2021, 05:54 AM   #9

Onan Marquis Gold 5500 Master Class. How to MAINTAIN your RV Onan Gas Generator

You don't have to run it every couple of weeks. Exercise once every 4-6 weeks, with at least a 1/2 load on it for about 45 minutes to an hour is fine. This is not only good for the fuel system but also for your slip rings.

If your going to be sitting for a long period of time (like a winter spot in Florida) or putting it in storage, put one can of Sea Foam per 20 gals. of fuel in your coach main gas tank. Then run the coach on the road to mix it thoroughly in the gas tank. Then exercise the generator. All fuel systems will now be protected for months.

There are other annual PM items you should be doing also. I found an awesome series on YT if your interested.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...cn1LTAzgImKgH0
mr.tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 03:16 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
$900, for carb & my annual prep.
I like the idea of a fuel cut off.
Old 12-14-2021, 03:21 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanluc001 View Post
onan 5500 generator knock off carb 53 bucks on amazon
worth a try.
ordered---didn't like the craftmanship>>>>sent back; went with factory carb!
Old 12-14-2021, 03:23 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tap4154 View Post
I fixed an Onan Marquis that we were told needed a rebuilt carb by spraying Onan 4C up through the bowl drain fitting, and letting it sit for half a day, draining it, then doing it again. The first time I drained it it was black, the second time it was much cleaner, and it ran great afterwards. 4C is no longer available, but doing the same thing with Seafoam might work as well, but you've already had it rebuilt so...

I try to run my Onan 4k at least every few weeks, and turn on the AC for a little while. I still have almost a full can of 4C as well.
what is 4C? never heard of that.
But, I definitely had a carb that stopped fuel from flowing.
Learned an expensive lesson on a gas generator.
Old 01-18-2022, 03:16 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
$900
Old 01-18-2022, 04:48 PM   #14

All that happens is gummed up from fuel evaporation. Cleaning is all that is needed. Anyone with basic skills can remove and clean a carburetor.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, generator, maintenance, repair