Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2014, 11:48 AM   #1

Generator running but no power to outlet plugs

Hi all I was wondering if anyone had an idea on how I can fix this. I have an Onan micro quiet generator 4000 in my 2008 gulf stream express. I push the button to turn it on and it kicks on like a charm. My problem is that none of the outlets work.
HethaBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2014, 12:04 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Do you an have automatic transfer switch? Some RVs don't and you have to plug the power cord into a receptacle in the service compartment before you start the generator. If you have one it may not be working. There is also a breaker on the generator that may be tripped. You have to cycle it off and then on to reset it.
Old 03-29-2014, 12:22 PM   #3

Thank you
Old 03-29-2014, 02:08 PM   #4

Clay L has all that correct.

But you did not say if they use to work. Do things like the AC or the microwave work? If it is just dead outlets, look for a GFI in one of the outlets. Could be anyone of them in the coach, likely the bath, or galley. GFI's have a test and reset button. They also get old and fail, and need to be replaced.
sailwing2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 02:49 PM   #5

I just bought the coach from a dealership. So I will check the GFI plugs. I don't know how to cycle the generator. I need to do some more research as the dealership didn't give me any manuals with the coach. I do know that If I am not plugged into shore power then I plug into a box that is wired to the generator.
Old 03-29-2014, 03:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HethaBeth View Post
I just bought the coach from a dealership. So I will check the GFI plugs. I don't know how to cycle the generator. I need to do some more research as the dealership didn't give me any manuals with the coach. I do know that If I am not plugged into shore power then I plug into a box that is wired to the generator.
Do not understand "cycle the generator", a previous poster suggested you "cycle the gen breaker". (turn it on and off) Sometimes breakers appear to be on but are not.

You said you needed to plug the gen in manually when you unplug the shore power. This would imply you do not have a transfer switch. Can you measure voltage at the gen plug in receptical? The one you plug the shore plug into.

You said NO power was in all the plugs. Hmmm would you think ALL plugs would be GFCI protected? The microwave will be connected by an AC Plug. I suspect it is not on a GFCI circuit.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 06:37 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Did you check the circuit breaker on the generator control panel - on the generator itself ? You should also check the main breaker on your electrical panel. When checking breakers, you should always turn it off and then back on as others suggested.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 10:08 AM   #8

Ok now you all will get a laugh on me.But I am new to all this and this is how I learn. Thank for all the help. It really does help me to learn.

So I went out to the motorhome. I turned the generator on from outside, went back in tried to reset the GFI plug, still no juice. I had already checked the inside breakers so I knew that wasn't it. So I shut the generator off from inside. I went back outside, checked the oil on the generator (how silly, right) it's clear by the way lol, I touched a fuse thingamajigy and then noticed a black switch on the black casing. I pulled it forward and then went inside to turn the generator on from inside and all of a sudden the carbon monoxide detector beep followed by the microwave! I am tickled pink that it was just a switch and not a mouse and or electrical issue.
Old 03-30-2014, 02:30 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Good job...this is how we learn how our RVs work.

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:17 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you MH is a Winnebago then go to their site, owners section and download the manuals for your MH if they are available. Did you check every cabinet for the Owners bag of manuals? Most people don't care to take them because they only do you any good for that MH.

Tags
power, generator