Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2008, 07:37 AM   #1

While boondocking at the beach this weekend. My Onan 5.5 generator stopped charging my house batteries and powering the wall outlets, TV, Refrigerator, and A\C. When I got home and plugged it into shorepower, it charged the batteries, but would not operate the appliances listed above. The strange thing is everything works fine only when my Xantrex 2500 inverter is on. I've checked all the fuses inside the coach, and on the generator. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks!!
trailerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2008, 07:37 AM   #2

While boondocking at the beach this weekend. My Onan 5.5 generator stopped charging my house batteries and powering the wall outlets, TV, Refrigerator, and A\C. When I got home and plugged it into shorepower, it charged the batteries, but would not operate the appliances listed above. The strange thing is everything works fine only when my Xantrex 2500 inverter is on. I've checked all the fuses inside the coach, and on the generator. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks!!
Old 05-20-2008, 10:00 AM   #3

This happened to us too. The fuses were fine but the circuit breaker on the generator had tripped and it wasn't obvious. I turned it on and off about 10 times to clean the contacts and all is well now. Try this and check for any other related breakers.

If this doesn't fix it, there may be a bad solenoid etc. somewhere else in the circuit.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:43 AM   #4

Thanks for the tip. I'll try that. From some other posts, I'm getting the feeling it could be a converter issue. I'll try your idea first.

Thanks!
Old 05-20-2008, 02:04 PM   #5
paz

trailerware, welcome to iRV2.

If the TV and A/C aren't working either, I doubt if the converter is the problem. The reason everything works when the inverter is on is that the inverter is powering everything from the battery.

My money is on the breakers on the generator like quikduk says. Ours trip every once in a while. Let us know if that's the problem.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 02:52 PM   #6

Thanks for the reply. Going to mess with it on Weds. Let you guys know.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:43 PM   #7

I tried your suggestions today. Flipped the two fuses on the ONAN Gen back and forth many times. Tried it with the Gen on and off. Even sprayed contact cleaner on them. No change. Let me know if you have any other ideas. Otherwise it is off to the rv dealer next week. Thanks!
Old 05-21-2008, 04:40 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Have you checked the transfer switch?
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 06:21 PM   #9

Thanks for the reply. Where is the transfer switch and how would I check it? Thanks! BTW I have an 01 Silverado 4x4 and an 06 Vue and my driver has always been the 3.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:52 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
What year, make & model is your coach?
Old 05-22-2008, 11:10 AM   #11

It is a 2004 Fleetwood Flair 31A. It has a Workhorse chassis and the 8.1L Chevy and Allison Trans.
Old 05-23-2008, 04:59 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
I have added a shortcut to the Fleetwood Owners section of the forum for more exposure those that have similar product. I do not think the 2500 watt inverter was original equipment unless ordered as an option. You should not have a conventional converter/charger and the inverter/charger unless the inverter was added aftermarket. If so then the converter/charger should have the charging section disconnected or turned off. The transfer switch could be near the converter charger. You may have to pull the converter or drawers to find it. If you do not have a converter look near teh 120 volt distribution panel (circuit breakers). Let us know what you find.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:38 AM   #13

You are correct. I had camping world install the inverter a couple years ago. Thanks for the advice. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:18 AM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
I am having a similar problem that maybe someone can help with. When in shore power the chassis battery does not charge, and the Emergency Start switch does not work. I checked fuse inside the under hood fuzebox and I suspect the solenoid (also in the box)is shot. Anyone have a hint what I should do next before ripping the solenoid out?? This is on 2001 Southwind 34, on F53. Thanks, dp
Dave Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote