Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2010, 11:34 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Generator time delay

Generator was not supplying power to coach until I bypassed the time delay switch. From my research this tells me that the time delay has failed. This leads me to my question for you professionals out there. Is it ok to run the generator with no time delay providing that I keep appliances off before starting the genny?
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2010, 12:01 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

You need to give the generator time to reach operating speed and stabilize the RPMs before you switch any appliances on. 30-60 seconds should be sufficient. This is as more to protect your electrical appliances as it s to assist the generator.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 05:04 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I'm told that my generator itself may have a delay built into it. Our last coach did not have a transfer switch ( had to plug chord into Genny) so I'm wondering if with having the delay switch bypassed is it the same as the Genny's that dont have transfer switches?
Old 03-07-2010, 04:51 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Georgetown...if you have an IOTA transfer switch you can order that little "time delay" board from them for about $37.00 and replace it yourself. You will probably have to remove the transfer switch to get enough room to change out the board though. Mine quit two times and now I carry a spare board.
The whole transfer switch is about $225.00 if I remember correctively.

8.1 Workhorse w/UltraPower,Taylor 409 plug wires,AC Delco 41-993 Plugs and OEM Engineering Fuel Filter Adaper
stubeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 05:37 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
It is an IOTA transfer switch and after contacting the manufacturer (email ) they agreed to send me the board in the mail. There is a two year warranty on the switch. It doesn't look like an easy job as the board is in the back of the box behind all the wires.
Being a warranty item I think I will call the RV dealer and see if they will replace it and charge the labor back to the manufacturer.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:47 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I'm told that my generator itself may have a delay built into it.
I haven't run across one, but I suppose it is possible there is such a thing.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:33 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I haven't run across one, but I suppose it is possible there is such a thing.
Me thinks your right. I tested the genny today and it has no delay, the microwave light came on instantly.

I do wonder if someone could answer this question about the generators that must have the power chord plugged in. Do these generators supply instantly with no delay? these setups don't have transfer switches.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:15 AM   #8

My 88 class C Fleetwood Jamboree had a gas 4.0 Onan that didn't have a transfer switch and it was instant.The cord had to be plugged into either the generator or shore.
lonestarace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:04 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetown350 View Post
Me thinks your right. I tested the genny today and it has no delay, the microwave light came on instantly.

I do wonder if someone could answer this question about the generators that must have the power chord plugged in. Do these generators supply instantly with no delay? these setups don't have transfer switches.
My 2000 Embassy with Onan 4.0 supplied power instantly. (it was a plug-in type) Left the TV and satt on all the time....as soon as it fired up, TV was on, microwave lights were on. Never seemed to hurt anything. (I never knew what a transfer switch WAS until a few weeks ago...LOL)
Old 03-09-2010, 09:40 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Emergency procedure with time delay bypassed.....
Turn off MAIN BREAKERS in the motor home.. Start generator.. Wait 30 seconds, turn on main breakers

Replace the Delay board ASAP

(Why.. Because Murphy says you WILL forget or that someone else who does not fully understand the procedure will start the generator and when it comes up all "Weird" as it does.. Something will go FZZZZZZZTTTTT and cost big bucks.

What will go FZZZZZZT.. Well.. what applance is the most costly to replace?
(Another of Murphy's laws)
Old 03-10-2010, 12:25 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Emergency procedure with time delay bypassed.....
Turn off MAIN BREAKERS in the motor home.. Start generator.. Wait 30 seconds, turn on main breakers
Will the generator do harm to appliances that are not turned on? is your suggestion of turning main breakers off just an assurance that there are no appliances turned on?
Old 03-10-2010, 10:09 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My suggestion of the main breakers is two fold

Some appliances you can not turn off.. Televisions, Sat receivers, DVR's VCR's remote controlled Radios, (In short all your entainerment electronics) can not be turned off save by unplugging. Part of them ALWAYS remains on (The remote control command receiver for example) IN a Sat receiver only about 10% of it if that can be turned off (The TV-Transmitter)

Damage. if it occurs, to appliances is most likely to be to the power supply section,,,, The one part that can NOT be turned off.

Part 2: Turning off the MAIN means you throw one (or one pair) switch v/s going around ajnd turning off each and every device.. Way Way easier.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:51 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Wa8yxm thanks for the tip, I will throw the main breaker for now until I get the reapair done.

So my next question is just for curosity.

How do the motorhomes that do not have transfer switches with built in delays protect their equipment as per the few that have replied in this thread. Our last rig didnt have a transfer switch. Maybe there is a delay switch on its own somewhere for these rigs? or not?
Old 03-10-2010, 07:16 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Georgetown...I threw the mains and let the generator level out before turning them on again and then started turning things on until I got the new board. Also,don't forget to turn off mains before you shut down your generator. Let it run with no loads for a couple of minutes for cool down.

8.1 Workhorse w/UltraPower,Taylor 409 plug wires,AC Delco 41-993 Plugs and OEM Engineering Fuel Filter Adaper
stubeje is offline   Reply With Quote