Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2020, 06:40 AM   #1

Generator transfer switch

I just bought a 1999 Pace Arrow vision class A. 36 feet. It has an Onan 5500kw generator. I am trying to find where the transfer switch is located. And what type it is? I am a retired electrical tech with years of generator experience. But where they hid this switch has me stumped. I want to make sure it's wired correctly before putting it to use. There have been 2 owners before me and to many back yard mechanics.
Technoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2020, 06:48 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Generally these are found in the same compartment where the shore power cord enters the rig, but it could be 'hidden' somewhere else. It's possible that there isn't one and that YOU are the transfer switch. Is there what looks to be a 50 amp outlet in the compartment with the shore power cord? If so then test that outlet to see if it's only powered with the generator is running. If so then you plug the shore power cord into that to run off generator power.
Old 09-09-2020, 07:07 AM   #3

No power input plug. Just a junction box with 2# 10 black and 2 #10 white. Wires disappear into the body. No access to wire ways or loom. I am thinking it might be behind the load center but it's so jammed packed I am afraid to pull on stuff. Is there a factory site where I can obtain old service manuals?!
Old 09-09-2020, 10:11 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technoid View Post
No power input plug. Just a junction box with 2# 10 black and 2 #10 white. Wires disappear into the body. No access to wire ways or loom. I am thinking it might be behind the load center but it's so jammed packed I am afraid to pull on stuff. Is there a factory site where I can obtain old service manuals?!
If that is the shore power cord it normally would be a 10=3wg 50 amp with red whit and black with a green ground. I never have seen a shore power cord with two black and two white and no ground so if it is a 50 amp then most likely one of the white is comon and one is ground, strange. I know some of the older units used a 30 amp set up with a rotating device to switch back and forth on the A/Cs . Have you looked at the line from the generator it might be easier to trace and give some indication of the amp although I think all the 5500 were 50 amp. two one 120 v and one dedicated to one AC Good luck
Old 09-09-2020, 11:29 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

In that brand of coach it is probably directly behind the load (power) center, where the generator and shore cord wires meet.

The brand is unimportant - it's a commodity part. You only have to know if it is 30A/120v or 50A/240v.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 05:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
In that brand of coach it is probably directly behind the load (power) center, where the generator and shore cord wires meet.

The brand is unimportant - it's a commodity part. You only have to know if it is 30A/120v or 50A/240v.
it's a 30 amp. And thanks. I thought it might be behind the load center. It must have the contractor type where there is a time delay or it's senses the generator voltage build up on start and instantaneous disconnects the utility power and connects the generator. Not a very good system of transfer. No interlock protection.
Old 09-09-2020, 07:53 PM   #7

If you have two a/c's and you switch between them, it _may_ have a 30A transfer switch and the rear a/c is fed directly from the gen, breaker is on gen.
Old 09-10-2020, 12:10 AM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
(My suspicion) is that the ATS is on floor behind the CONVERTER section of POWER CENTER, w/ Breakers/ Fuses above? Mine, a 1999 Magnatek Unit. Mine had a ATS Label on Top, but pulling that cover just found a junction box... so maybe NOT on floor, maybe BEHIND Breakers/ fuses? (UNDER that Junction box?)
Mine all Under my kitchen sink
Old 09-11-2020, 11:36 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
It must have the contractor type where there is a time delay or it's senses the generator voltage build up on start and instantaneous disconnects the utility power and connects the generator. Not a very good system of transfer. No interlock protection.

It has a built-in delay, something that Fleetwood specifies in its component purchase specs.

What sort of "interlock protection" do you think is missing? It won't (cannot) connect shore or genset at the same time, it won't put load on the genset until the genset has a chance to stabilize, and it won't switch so fast the a/c compressors choke on the brief power interruption.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 12:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technoid View Post
it's a 30 amp. And thanks. I thought it might be behind the load center. It must have the contractor type where there is a time delay or it's senses the generator voltage build up on start and instantaneous disconnects the utility power and connects the generator. Not a very good system of transfer. No interlock protection.

That is where mine is located, yes there is a 2 min delay built into mine, but is a contact ATS
gljurczyk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, transfer switch, switch