Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2018, 03:32 PM   #15

The guinea pig and rabbit should fit in the slideout no problem. The horse, on the other hand.........
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2018, 04:19 PM   #16

I currently own an older model, no slides, but have been looking at newer models with slides.

My related question would be, what are the options with a 'stuck' slide? Can they be wound in manually?

What would be the main causes of failure, just dirt or general poor maintenance?

Steve
Old 02-13-2018, 06:06 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemoores View Post
1) My related question would be, what are the options with a 'stuck' slide? Can they be wound in manually?

2) What would be the main causes of failure, just dirt or general poor maintenance? Steve
1) Yes, they can be retracted manually but usually a hassle but can be done.

2) Poor maintenance—yes—and mainly having the wrong kind of slide mechanism. Many, many MH's by assorted manufacturers today have installed Schwintek slide systems by Lippert. These slides systems have a history of BIG problems and Lippert has taken so steps to remedy the problems in the past few years. However, the proof is in the pudding. IMO from all that I have read, and have discussed with owners & dealers, the best advice is, if you have Schwintek's on small slides you're probably OK. But on big FWS (full Wall Slides) owner beware.

I'm not going to argue any more about this because there will be no doubt some here as there always is when I post this kind of comments, that some will say, "I have a FWS with Schwintek's and all is good. Well of course it is. There are always exceptions to every rule.

This is what happens when a company like Lippert races out with a new product to introduce a "new technology" that hasn't been proven road worthy yet. Then the manufacturers by into it. Their first few years proved to be disastrous and now their playing catch up to restore their products reputation. Some companies never learn.

So IMO, when buying a MH, look—very carefully—at what slide system it has and then choose very carefully.

Nuff said. AGAIN!
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 06:22 PM   #18

An important differentiation for us is a flat floor. We prefer the slide designs that extend and drop so the floor in the slide is the same level as the main floor.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:42 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemoores View Post
I currently own an older model, no slides, but have been looking at newer models with slides.

My related question would be, what are the options with a 'stuck' slide? Can they be wound in manually?

What would be the main causes of failure, just dirt or general poor maintenance?

Steve
Yes, stuck slides can be retracted manually.
Here's some examples:

LCI Hydraulic and electric through frame:

Power Gear:

Schwintek:

And

These two Schwintek videos show how simple the system really is. So, there is really no reason to fear it.

There are also older hydraulic systems that have a lever style pump override. All have emergency retract procedures.
Slides can fail for many reasons from a popped fuse to broken mechanical bit. Poor maintenance could be part of the problem.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 07:44 PM   #20

Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzbill View Post
The guinea pig and rabbit should fit in the slideout no problem. The horse, on the other hand.........
DW may want the horse as a TOAD. That would be different!
nightmission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 05:44 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
This is how I solved the water pooling on top of the toppers. It also keeps them from flapping in the wind.

Large 5" diameter solid foam tubes on one slide and 6" on the other slide.
I assume you have to take those out when you pull in your slides? Where did you get them?

Thanks!
jwmaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 06:50 AM   #22

I have the Bal Acc-Slide system--- cables, Am I a oddity see and/or in trouble? Is this a good system compared to the others?
Old 03-04-2018, 07:15 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
if i wanted a coach with no slides, i would get a used prevost bus........
jsmmonaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 05:50 PM   #24

I have had with and without slides, I would not want to be without slides, when the kids visit there is room for everyone to move about.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 07:37 AM   #25
Commercial Member

there was a time when there were no slide outs. we as a dealer couldnt see the value of them until a customer asked for one. we started selling slideouts, and soon there wasnt hardly a coach out there without one. same for horse trailers with living quarters. its what the majority of owners want. want being the key word.
its a market driven trend. if you want one without a slide, good luck finding it.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 01:14 AM   #26

Gave up on Powergear after 4 failures on our 2016 Vista 27N. Two repairs at the Winnebago Factory and two at dealers. Spent 3 months of its first year in the shop. Sold it and bought a 2004 Itasca Horizon 40AD with HWH slides. Very happy now.
Old 03-09-2018, 06:37 AM   #27

Here's an anecdote from that time. Back when Safari was a private company owned by Matt Perlot, they used to have a yearly "Homecoming" extravaganza at the plant in Oregon. In 1995, they decided to do this at Disney Epcot in Florida and at one of the gatherings Perlot was asked about slides and said: "No motorhome with the Safari name will ever leave my factory with a slide".

I'm not sure about the big DP Safaris, but Trek didn't get a slide on one model until 2003 after the company was bought by Monaco.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azpete View Post
there was a time when there were no slide outs. we as a dealer couldnt see the value of them until a customer asked for one. we started selling slideouts, and soon there wasnt hardly a coach out there without one. same for horse trailers with living quarters. its what the majority of owners want. want being the key word.
its a market driven trend. if you want one without a slide, good luck finding it.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 08:29 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
This is how I solved the water pooling on top of the toppers. It also keeps them from flapping in the wind.

Large 5" diameter solid foam tubes on one slide and 6" on the other slide.
Is the problem just that the topper does not have enough enough tension? Have you tried winding the drum/spring tighter?

I would think that if the material is pulled tight there would be no "dip" in the fabric for the water to collect in.
Attached Images

CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slideout