Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2022, 06:02 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2zon View Post
I have not tried this yet, but others have reported good success with using an ultrasonic cleaner on small engine carbs. I own a suitable cleaner, but I haven't had to do anything with a carb lately.
ultra sonic works with proper cleaner for the metal the carb is made from.. it not pure alum.... so be careful.. it can turn it black or make a mess..

I have had luck.. with ole school carb dip and then a fast ultrasonic with non alkaline cleaners.. or a brightner to make it look better,,

I have also removed cross drill plugs to get carb cleaned and then used a new plug or tapped allen screw to reseal.. So sometimes a $300 carb is cheaper than me spending 6 hours trying to save a carb unless it is no longer serviced ....
just sayin..

I have dome the $30-$50 knock off with good luck, yes some needed a tweek but ....

Most are better of getting the OEM and installed by a good shop that will back up there work... .. otherwise you need to be a gambling man...
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2022, 10:08 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibe View Post
ultra sonic works with proper cleaner for the metal the carb is made from.. it not pure alum.... so be careful.. it can turn it black or make a mess..

I have had luck.. with ole school carb dip and then a fast ultrasonic with non alkaline cleaners.. or a brightner to make it look better,,

I have also removed cross drill plugs to get carb cleaned and then used a new plug or tapped allen screw to reseal.. So sometimes a $300 carb is cheaper than me spending 6 hours trying to save a carb unless it is no longer serviced ....
just sayin..

I have dome the $30-$50 knock off with good luck, yes some needed a tweek but ....

Most are better of getting the OEM and installed by a good shop that will back up there work... .. otherwise you need to be a gambling man...
True that a good old-school carburetor shop can work wonders on an old carb. Factory rebuilds, on the other hand, forget it! In my case, before I bought my $60 Amazon carb, I actually did take the OEM Onan one to my local RV dealer to see if they could rebuild it. They said they were prohibited from doing so... made it sound like there was some regulation against it.
Old 01-27-2022, 05:48 AM   #17

There is, the EPA mandate that these carburetors be factory sealed, and that no rebuild kits be sold starting in the mid 1990's. In this case factory sealed does not mean much (I think they used tamper proof screws). The reasoning is that one can not tune for minimum emission without a full flow bench, which most rebuilders don't have, instead without one the best anyone can do is tune for maximum performance. This concept of course ignores that over time carburetors go out of tune.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 06:12 AM   #18

Step motors, carbs, wiper motors, shade motors etc all manufactured by brand X companies usually over seas. If you search diligently enough you will be able to find off brand replacements for most of your parts needs. Amazon is the best place to start followed by eBay. I think the dealer mark up is insane compared to the wholesale price dealers are paying. Sometimes I wonder if these chassis manufacturers think we are boaters.
Hpozzuoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 10:13 AM   #19

Slightly OT, but along the same lines, I have owned a few classic cars, one of them being a 1969 AMC AMX. With one hand-made, high-quality exception, any fuel pump you can buy for that engine is made in the same factory... it doesn't matter what brand is on the box. They all have the casting numbers and the same flaw, which needs to be fixed before you put the pump into service, or you'll have oil spewed all over your engine bay within a few hundred miles.

Tags
ace, money, replace, replacement